[comp.sys.mac] Beware: MICROSOFT and 68882

pj@pnet51.cts.com (Paul Jacoby) (08/12/89)

Steve Goldfield writes:

I'm running Excel 1.5 on my Mac II in which I installed a 68882.
Excel reports that it is using the 68881 on startup. I conclude
<<
 Funny, on my SE/30 I had to install CacheControl (a cdev by Jim Hamilton) and
enable it's "Patch Excel" check box for Excel 1.5 to recognize the 68882 in
the machine.  Microsoftee's, care to explain?
.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| UUCP: {rosevax, crash, orator}!orbit!pnet51!pj |  Working with idiots keeps |
| ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!pj@nosc.mil           |  my life interesting...    |
| INET: pj@pnet51.cts.com                        |                            |

kolodny@husc4.UUCP (Jonathan Kolodny) (08/14/89)

From article <850@orbit.UUCP>, by pj@pnet51.cts.com (Paul Jacoby):
> Steve Goldfield writes:
>>>
> I'm running Excel 1.5 on my Mac II in which I installed a 68882.
> Excel reports that it is using the 68881 on startup. I conclude
> <<
>  Funny, on my SE/30 I had to install CacheControl (a cdev by Jim Hamilton) and
> enable it's "Patch Excel" check box for Excel 1.5 to recognize the 68882 in
> the machine.  Microsoftee's, care to explain?

I realize I posted this before, but in case you missed it, Excel 1.5 will
NOT recognize the math co-processor on 68030 machines running system 6.xx.
This was explained to me by a Microsoft representative at the Expo.  They
have come out with version 1.5a for users (like me, with a IIcx) who want
to take advantage of the hardware they have without shelling out an
additional $100 for Excel 2.2.  Don't expect to hear about this in any
notice to registered users, however.  As I flamed before, the MS
representative kindly explained that Microsoft did not perceive a need to
contact registered owners about the problem, since "so few of our users
will have this difficulty".  He even reminded me that I could upgrade to
deal with the problem, since V2.2 has no such problems.  Great...Thanks
alot.
Flaming off...

Jonathan Kolodny
Programmer/Software Developer
Harvard Computer Sevices

isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) (08/15/89)

In article <2434@husc6.harvard.edu> kolodny@husc4.UUCP writes:
>From article <850@orbit.UUCP>, by pj@pnet51.cts.com (Paul Jacoby):
>> enable it's "Patch Excel" check box for Excel 1.5 to recognize the 68882 in
>> the machine.  Microsoftee's, care to explain?
>
>I realize I posted this before, but in case you missed it, Excel 1.5 will
>NOT recognize the math co-processor on 68030 machines running system 6.xx.

The patch for Excel 1.5 to recognize the 68882 was in MacWeek many
months ago.  I still have it on disk somewhere, so if you have
an '882 in your Mac and want Excel to recognize it, request the
patch by e-mail.  If there's overwhelming requests, I'll post
it to the net.  (Otherwise, I'll mail it out individually.)

Ken

Ken Hancock  '90                    | E-mail: (BITNET/UUCP/INTERNET)
Computer Resource Center Consultant |   isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
DISCLAIMER?  I don't get paid enough to worry about disclaimers.