[comp.sys.mac] Hey Apple Mac engineers, answer->MacWorld Interview Answers you.

thomas@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Thomas Summerall) (08/04/89)

In article <577@studsys.mu.edu> stevej@studsys.mu.edu (jovanovic) writes:
>Dear Apple,

...various apple bashings...

>First, let's talk about multitasking.

I tend to agree with many of the points in this posting.  Apple should have
REAL multitasking.  I think amigas are cheesy, but even they can do some
impressive multitasking.

Apple needs to get it soon, too, because as we have seen with presentation
manager etc. the competition isn't going to sit and wait for apple to catch up.
Macs may still be slicker graphically and functionally, but the gap is closing
and pretty soon the only difference between a mac and an IBM will be that the
Mac is slow and non multitasking.

To finish, see the interview in September's MacWorld with Edward Birss, VP for
product engineering at Apple.  He says something pretty scary at the end when
asked if system 7.0 will have TRUE multitasking:

"It depends upon what you mean by truly."  (we've heard that before.)
"From the user perspective, yes absolutely, because you can print in the
background, download from compuserve, and type a memo, all at the same time"
(that's a start, but what about caculating a long spreadsheet at the same
time?  LISA could do it!  Come on, guys...)

Referring to A/UX:

"I would say that we have shown multitasking capability for both the user and
for systems programming.  And while it is not a traditional definition of
multitasking, it is a version of multitasking well suited to our vision of
personal computing."

That's kind of scary...I don't think its going to suit most other people's
versions in the coming years...

Thomas Summerall
thomas@eleazar.dartmouth.edu

mnkonar@smallberries.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Murat N. Konar) (08/05/89)

In article <14845@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> thomas@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Thomas Summerall) writes:
>In article <577@studsys.mu.edu> stevej@studsys.mu.edu (jovanovic) writes:
>>Dear Apple,
>...various apple bashings...
>>First, let's talk about multitasking.
>
>I tend to agree with many of the points in this posting.  Apple should have
>REAL multitasking.  I think amigas are cheesy, but even they can do some
>impressive multitasking.
>
>Apple needs to get it soon, too, because as we have seen with presentation
>manager etc. the competition isn't going to sit and wait for apple to catch up.
>Macs may still be slicker graphically and functionally, but the gap is closing
>and pretty soon the only difference between a mac and an IBM will be that the
>Mac is slow and non multitasking.

I defy you as a user to sit at both a PM machine and a Mac both running modern
software (in the Mac's case MF Friendly, in the PM case a PM app) and tell me
which one is "truly multi-tasking" and which one isn't.and which one isn't.

One thing that seems to get overlooked in these discussions of true vs. fake
multi-tasking is that for the most part, it doesn't make a bit of difference
if the user can't tell the difference.  And I'm talking about the vast majority
of users who ARE NOT programmers or harware types.  Just ordinary folks mousing
away.

Have a day. :^|
Murat N. Konar        Honeywell Systems & Research Center, Camden, MN
mnkonar@SRC.honeywell.com (internet) {umn-cs,ems,bthpyd}!srcsip!mnkonar(UUCP)

macgyver@banana.cis.ohio-state.edu (wilson m liaw) (08/05/89)

In article <14845@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> thomas@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Thomas Summerall) writes:
[stuff deleted]
>To finish, see the interview in September's MacWorld with Edward Birss, VP for
>product engineering at Apple.  He says something pretty scary at the end when
>asked if system 7.0 will have TRUE multitasking:
>
>"It depends upon what you mean by truly."  (we've heard that before.)
>"From the user perspective, yes absolutely, because you can print in the
>background, download from compuserve, and type a memo, all at the same time"
>(that's a start, but what about caculating a long spreadsheet at the same
>time?  LISA could do it!  Come on, guys...)

	When I read that two days ago, I remeber thinking to myself,
"Great, that means Apple won't do anything about Multi-Tasking in 7.0"
What Ed described can be done in every Macintosh that's running Multi-Finder.
Heck, I can do it right now. Print in the background using apple supplied
print monitor, download from compuserve using Microphone, and open up
MS Word to write a memo.

-=-
Wilson Mac Liaw                           $  Two sure ways to tell a sexy male;
Internet   : macgyver@cis.ohio-state.edu  $  the first is, he has a bad memory.
CompuServe : 71310,1653                   $  I forget the second :)
GEnie : W.Liaw                            $

t-stephp@microsoft.UUCP (Stephen Poole) (08/08/89)

In article <27159@srcsip.UUCP> mnkonar@src.honeywell.com (Murat N. Konar) writes:
>I defy you as a user to sit at both a PM machine and a Mac both running modern
>software (in the Mac's case MF Friendly, in the PM case a PM app) and tell me
>which one is "truly multi-tasking" and which one isn't.and which one isn't.
>
>One thing that seems to get overlooked in these discussions of true vs. fake
>multi-tasking is that for the most part, it doesn't make a bit of difference
>if the user can't tell the difference.  And I'm talking about the vast majority
>of users who ARE NOT programmers or harware types.  Just ordinary folks mousing
>away.

I agree with your comments about the efficacy of multitasking where users
are concerned.  If they can't tell the difference then it's cool.

HOWEVER - I'm not a user, dammit!  Frankly, I would KILL to have an OS/2
kernel running on my Mac II.  OS/2 and PM make a fantastic development
platform, and the OS/2 multitasking model is a dream come true.  Mac
programming would, at least for me, be an order of magnitude cleaner and
more convenient if the Mac OS supported threads and real IPC.

I realize that I have a big ol' MICROSOFT splashed across my message
header, but I am expressing my most honest opinions.  I hack for fun,
and as much as I love my Mac and the amazing things it can do (many of which
we may never see under OS/2 and PM, if you ask me), since I started
writing OS/2 and PM code I find it really hard to gear down to the Mac
and the MPW or LSC environments - even under Multifinder.  There is just
no comparison.

Again - hacker opinions on the importance of multitasking.  Not user
opinions.
--
-- Stephen D. Poole -- t-stephp@microsoft.UUCP -- Mac II Fanatic --
--                                                               --

jrg@Apple.COM (John R. Galloway) (08/08/89)

In article <7270@microsoft.UUCP> t-stephp@microsoft.UUCP (Stephen Poole) writes:
>In article <27159@srcsip.UUCP> mnkonar@src.honeywell.com (Murat N. Konar) writes:
>>I defy you as a user to sit at both a PM machine and a Mac both running modern
>>software (in the Mac's case MF Friendly, in the PM case a PM app) and tell me
>>which one is "truly multi-tasking" and which one isn't.and which one isn't.

I agree, with one exception.  When most developers think of true multi-tasking
(or perhaps I should say true multi-programming) I suspect that the notion
of seperate and protected addresss spaces is included.  i.e. the INability of
a user program to bring down the system is centeral.  While USERS will never
know the difference (unless they use buggy programs), developers will, and
the happier develoeprs are the more user programs there will be, and the
more sw available the more users there will be.  So the degree with which a
small number of users (develoeprs) like the multiprogramming model does have
an effect on the bottom line, even though 99.99..% of users don't care.  And
(to lie and add another exception) users don't care how multiprogramming works
but they do care that when they run some buggy programs that once in a while
their system crashes rather then just that one program.  This is also a bottom
line, via marketing, issue since having a program crash instead of the entire
system, clearly points the finger at just that one program rather than casting
doubt on the entire system. (though having a program bring down your Mac is
likely a very rare event, for the general user).
apple!jrg	John R. Galloway, Jr.       contract programmer, San Jose, Ca

These are my views, NOT Apple's, I am a GUEST here, not an employee!!

mclek@dcatla.UUCP (Larry E. Kollar) (08/08/89)

>I defy you as a user to sit at both a PM machine and a Mac both running modern
>software (in the Mac's case MF Friendly, in the PM case a PM app) and tell me
>which one is "truly multi-tasking" and which one isn't.and which one isn't.
>
>One thing that seems to get overlooked in these discussions of true vs. fake
>multi-tasking is that for the most part, it doesn't make a bit of difference
>if the user can't tell the difference.  And I'm talking about the vast majority
>of users who ARE NOT programmers or harware types.  Just ordinary folks mousing
>away.

I don't know about PM, but I use Macs and Amigas both quite a bit.  I can
tell the difference (I'm a tech writer, not a programmer):

	- The Mac dialog boxes lock out *all* user input to tasks or windows
	  other than the dialog box itself.  What if I want to pull up the
	  on-line documentation to help me decide what to set in the dialog?
	  This is a BIG malfeature of Multifinder.

	- While printing a background job, I often have a hard time keeping
	  control of the mouse pointer -- it's like using the mouse as a
	  slingshot.  Very annoying.

	- How do you set task priorities under MultiFinder; say, if you
	  want your downloads to proceed faster while doing something else?

	- You need gobs of memory to do anything useful with MultiFinder.
	  This is as much the fault of what I call "software bloat" as
	  MultiFinder's actual memory requirements (although 500K+ is quite
	  a bit), and this is getting just as bad on Amigas, so this isn't
	  that much of a difference.

Now I realize that MultiFinder patches an OS that wasn't designed for
multitasking, but I hope Apple fixes at least the first two things in 7.0.
I tend to expect more out of a computer that costs 3-4 times as much as the
one at home.
--
Larry Kollar	...!gatech!dcatla!mclek
: life BEGIN funds @ enough_to_retire < WHILE work REPEAT ;

earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton) (08/09/89)

In article <21857@dcatla.UUCP> mclek@sunb.UUCP (Larry E. Kollar) writes:
>I don't know about PM, but I use Macs and Amigas both quite a bit.  I can
>tell the difference (I'm a tech writer, not a programmer):
>
>	- The Mac dialog boxes lock out *all* user input to tasks or windows
>	  other than the dialog box itself.  What if I want to pull up the
>	  on-line documentation to help me decide what to set in the dialog?
>	  This is a BIG malfeature of Multifinder.

     This not a fault of the Mac, but of the programmer who programmed
the dialog.  Mac dialogs can be set up to be totally modal, as you
describe, or to be modeless, i.e. just like any other window.  It is
more work for the programmer to write programs which use modeless
dialogs, not much more work, but a little more.  It is modal dialogs,
not dialogs per se, which lock you out under MultiFinder, and 99% of
the time, you have some lazy application programmer to thank for it.

     I am rather surprised at how many applications on the Mac use
modal dialogs where a modeless one would do, given the degree of user
frustration these things cause, and the small amount of labor saved.

Earle

pasek@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Michael A. Pasek) (08/09/89)

In article <21857@dcatla.UUCP> mclek@sunb.UUCP (Larry E. Kollar) writes:
>I don't know about PM, but I use Macs and Amigas both quite a bit.  I can
>tell the difference (I'm a tech writer, not a programmer):
>[stuff deleted]
>	- While printing a background job, I often have a hard time keeping
>	  control of the mouse pointer -- it's like using the mouse as a
>	  slingshot.  Very annoying.
>[remainder deleted]

I agree, this is VERY annoying....interestingly enough, for those of you that
remember, this did NOT happen with the early Macs and System software.  I don't
know whether it's because of the ADB, new ROMs, or the new System software, but
I wish they'd change it back so that if the cursor position on the screen was
not going to get updated IMMEDIATELY, the mouse 'movement' would just be
'discarded' (i.e., the cursor would move very slowly or not at all, rather than
staying in one place and then all of a sudden jumping halfway across the
screen).  Just my opinion.

M. A. Pasek          Switching Software Development         NCR Comten, Inc.
(612) 638-7668              CNG Development               2700 N. Snelling Ave.
pasek@c10sd3.StPaul.NCR.COM                               Roseville, MN  55113

dorourke@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (David M. O'Rourke) (08/10/89)

pasek@c10sd3.StPaul.NCR.COM (M. A. Pasek) writes:
>I wish they'd change it back so that if the cursor position on the screen was
>not going to get updated IMMEDIATELY, the mouse 'movement' would just be
>'discarded' (i.e., the cursor would move very slowly or not at all, rather than
>staying in one place and then all of a sudden jumping halfway across the
>screen).  Just my opinion.

  FYIO: Description of why the new mice jump into postions....

  The old mice used to have no brain's what so ever, so the pointer only
moved when the computer had time to pay attention to it.
  It is my understanding that the new ADB mice kinda "know" when the last
time the computer asked for a postion, and they "keep" all of the movements
since the last query.  So when you move the mouse and the Mac doesn't have
time to look at it the ADB mouse keeps on adding movement until the mac
asks it for the new postion, then when the mac finally gets around to talking
to the mouse it realizes the mouse has moved quite a distance and updates
the screen to reflect that, the mouse "jumps" into the new postions.

  I don't like it either, but I hear you get used to it.
--
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\|/////////////////////////////////////////
David M. O'Rourke____________________|_____________dorourke@polyslo.calpoly.edu

bayes@hpislx.HP.COM (Scott Bayes) (08/15/89)

> EVERY system can behave in ways that some users might not like all the time.
> EVERY system is a compromise between myriad design constraints.

> Claris Corp. | Michael R. Peirce

Point of fact:  I am using an HP330 with only (!)  4MB RAM, running
version 6.5 of HP-UX with X11.  I just came back from a reboot.  I had
started a terminal process to an HP3000, and immediately afterward,
triggered an X client to read the mail.

After 10 minutes of waiting, I rebooted, as EVERYTHING was locked.
Deadly Embrace with the LAN (I'm running discless over LAN)?? This in a
"true multitasking" system.

Don't try this one at home, kids. These are trained apologists for the
way things _should_ work.

Scott Bayes
Oxymoron: "true multitasking" (quotes Copyright Claris Corp.)

ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) (08/15/89)

In article <21857@dcatla.UUCP> mclek@sunb.UUCP (Larry E. Kollar) writes:

>	- The Mac dialog boxes lock out *all* user input to tasks or windows
>	  other than the dialog box itself.  What if I want to pull up the
>	  on-line documentation to help me decide what to set in the dialog?
>	  This is a BIG malfeature of Multifinder.

Dialogs are controlled by the program, not MultiFinder, if a programmer
wanted to allow you access to other functions of the program while a dialog
was open, it could probably be done, though it may not be easy.

>	- While printing a background job, I often have a hard time keeping
>	  control of the mouse pointer -- it's like using the mouse as a
>	  slingshot.  Very annoying.

The problem is disk access in the background, unless Apple includes DMA for
SCSI in the future, mouse motions will always be jerky in some operations.

>	- You need gobs of memory to do anything useful with MultiFinder.
>	  This is as much the fault of what I call "software bloat" as
>	  MultiFinder's actual memory requirements (although 500K+ is quite
>	  a bit), and this is getting just as bad on Amigas, so this isn't
>	  that much of a difference.

Almost every platform is starving for memory with a variety of applications
that are coming out now. And these programs are usually significantly more
feature laden and powerful the before too....so this just is not a Multifinder
problem by a long shot. Some programs want more than 1 meg whether MultiFinder
is running or not.

--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-SysOp FreeSoft RT - GEnie.