[comp.sys.mac] Direct Mac to LaserWriter connectio

sklein@cdp.UUCP (08/13/89)

>It is possible to connect a LaserWriter directly to a Mac using a round
>8 pin to round 8 pin cable, thereby avoiding the extra cost of two LocalTalk

Since this seems to be widely known, and easy to do, why does APDA sell
an Asynchronous LaserWriter driver for the Mac?  What possible use does
this product have?
 -shabtai

earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton) (08/14/89)

In article <141200071@cdp> sklein@cdp.UUCP writes:

>>It is possible to connect a LaserWriter directly to a Mac using a round
>>8 pin to round 8 pin cable, thereby avoiding the extra cost of two LocalTalk
>
>Since this seems to be widely known, and easy to do, why does APDA sell
>an Asynchronous LaserWriter driver for the Mac?  What possible use does
>this product have?
> -shabtai

Here is one possible use:

       	       	|-----|
		|-----|	       \     |----------|
				\----|          |	 |----|
		                     |  SWITCH  |--------| LW |
		                /----| 	       	|	 |----|
	    |---------|	       /     |----------|
            | BRAND X |-------/
	    |---------|

Switches that will connect two or more computers, one at a time, to
the same peripheral can be an economical solution in some situations.
If the cost of outfitting BRAND X with a LocalTalk interface is
several times that of the serial line switch, then the Asynchronous
LaserWriter driver might be just the ticket.

Earle R. Horton

jness@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (Joel Ness) (08/15/89)

From article 39718 of comp.sys.mac:

>>It is possible to connect a LaserWriter directly to a Mac using a round
>>8 pin to round 8 pin cable, thereby avoiding the extra cost of two LocalTalk

>Since this seems to be widely known, and easy to do, why does APDA sell
>an Asynchronous LaserWriter driver for the Mac?  What possible use does
>this product have?
> -shabtai

   Well, I thought I knew a reason for ordering the Asynchronous driver
when I ordered it from APDA a few weeks ago, but I haven't got it to
work yet. I've got a department that wanted to let a couple of Macs hook
in to their electronic printer switch box which is currently letting a
bunch of PCs share a LaserWriter. This means Postscript, but no
AppleTalk.

   I guess I could have hacked with it a little longer, but I finally
gave up. I was using a Mac modem cable with a null modem adapter on the
end hooked up to the LW's DB25 port. I could send Postscript using
Kermit just fine, but I never could get an application to find the LW. I
was using the Direct.ACL script which I thought should have worked
without modification.

   I'm not even sure if this would have worked for the department in
question (gotta get them to Appletalk those puppies), but I was kind of
interested in seeing how the Asynch driver worked.

   Oh well... Anybody had any experience with making this thing work?
Any further tips or suggestions? (Oh yeah, the thing also has scripts
for letting the Mac automatically dial out through a modem to call a LW
hooked up to another modem. I guess that might be its main usefulness).

Joel Ness			       		INTERNET: jness@ub.d.umn.edu
Information Services		        	BITNET:  JNESS@UMNDUL
University of Minnesota, Duluth