[comp.sys.mac] Exporting Wingz graphics

gersh@aplvax.jhuapl.edu (John R. Gersh) (07/21/89)

In article <14499@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> changwoo@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
(Chang P. Woo) writes:
>Here is seemingly a common situation that I don't know how to solve:
>
> [Wingz charts come out as dark "smudges" when pasted into other
> applications and displayed or printed.]

The following comes from some experimentation with the demo version of
Wingz, but there's no particular reason to think that it's any
different in the full-up one:

Wingz charts are produced, by default, with the background of the
chart area colored. It's colored white, but that is treated as a color
nonetheless. Many monochrome applications and printers will display
colors as black. I duplicated the problem noted with pastes and prints
of a Wingz chart in Macwrite II and SuperPaint 2.0.

The solution is to select the chart and then go to the Graph menu,
General submenu, Plot Interior Brush item. In the resulting dialog,
select the no-fill pattern (the "N" block). If you want to be
absolutely sure of no problems, you can do the same in the Fill item
in the Format menu, which applies to the rectangular surround of the
chart, but this doesn't seem necessary. The Interior Brush item is the
crucial one. After taking this action, Wingz charts pasted and printed
OK into MacWrite II, Word, Power Point, and Super Paint.

The experiments showed a more serious problem. Wingz graphic items of
any kind wouldn't paste at all into MacDraw II (v1.1). No matter what
was selected, MacDraw would complain that the objects in the clipboard
would not fit within the drawing area, even when this was clearly not
the case. Viewing the clipboard in MacDraw II showed the graphic item
from Wingz just as one would expect it to look, but it wouldn't paste.

Is this a problem in the full-up Wingz as well??

					- John Gersh

gersh@aplvax.jhuapl.edu 	{backbone!}mimsy!aplcen!aplcomm!gersh
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory
Johns Hopkins Rd., Laurel, MD 20707		       (301) 953-5503

changwoo@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Chang P. Woo) (08/16/89)

Here is seemingly a common situation that I don't know how to solve:

I am trying to write some documents in Word 4. Some parts of it require
that I use graphs from given data. It sounded simple enough, so I used
Wingz to create the chart that I needed to paste. After creating the
chart, I cut and paste the chart to the Word document, and it looked
good in the screen. However, when I printed the document, the chart was
just an ink smudge.

I thought that maybe fill pattern for the chart was in wrong setup, so
I went back to Wingz and cut and paste into SuperPaint. Now even on the
screen, all I saw was just black blobs, not the chart that I drew
previously.

Then I tried to look up related materials from the manuals--there
wasn't a single mention how I may copy the chart and paste into other
applications. Of course, I know cut and pasting the chart from one
worksheet to another doesn't work because the chart wants the data to
be intact. But there must be some ways to fix the chart as a picture
(other than taking screen shots of it--which was what I ended up doing).

Frankly this is quite embarrasing. I would like to blame Wingz for this
(maybe it is bug), but seriously, there must be something that I did
wrong or something that I missed.  Any ideas?

I am using SE w/ 6.0.2, multifinder, Wingz 1.0, Word 4.0, and Superpaint
1.1MS, if it helps.

Thanks,
Chang Woo
----
Chang Woo                changwoo@eleazar.dartmouth.EDU
                         HB 2932, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH 03755