[comp.sys.mac] DA's don't work under multifinder

tom@kahuna.math.hawaii.edu (Tom Craven) (08/13/89)

When I run under multifinder, I get only a beep when I try to run any
desk accessory.  They all work perfectly without multifinder.  I would
appreciate any ideas as to what might be wrong.  I have an SE running
system 6.0.2 and 2.5 megabytes of memory.

kent@lloyd.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) (08/14/89)

In article <4556@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> tom@kahuna.UUCP (Tom Craven) writes:
>When I run under multifinder, I get only a beep when I try to run any
>desk accessory.  They all work perfectly without multifinder.  I would

You need the file "DA Handler" in your system folder.  You will find
it on your system tools disk.

Kent Borg
kent@lloyd.uucp
or
...!husc6!lloyd!kent

) (08/14/89)

In article <4556@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> tom@kahuna.UUCP (Tom Craven) writes:
>When I run under multifinder, I get only a beep when I try to run any
>desk accessory.  They all work perfectly without multifinder.  I would
>appreciate any ideas as to what might be wrong.  I have an SE running
>system 6.0.2 and 2.5 megabytes of memory.

There could be lots of resons:
- You have no DA Handler in the system folder
- You are running a large app or many INITs that eat memory so you none is left
- You have an INIT that is not MF-compatible and has those symptoms
- Your DA Handler has somehow got screwed up (too large memory partition)
- You were trying to open a DA from a badly written app.
- ...

Try launching the DA from a recently started system, holding down the option
button. Holding down the option button opens the DA in the current app's
heap instead of opening the DA handler. This takes less memory.

If nothing else works; re-install a new 6.0.3 system (Complete with all files)
and try again. Hope this helps, sez'

h+@nada.kth.se

--
Always hire a rich attorney.

phil@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk (08/14/89)

In article <4556@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu>, tom@kahuna.math.hawaii.edu (Tom Craven) writes:
> When I run under multifinder, I get only a beep when I try to run any
> desk accessory.  They all work perfectly without multifinder.  I would
> appreciate any ideas as to what might be wrong.  I have an SE running
> system 6.0.2 and 2.5 megabytes of memory.

Check to see that you have "DA Handler" in your system file.  Under Multifinder
invoking DAs cause the DA HAndler to be started/switched to.  Alternatively
hold down the option key when you invoke the DA and it will be loaded into the
currently running application's layer (but you might run out of memory that
way!).

Phil Jimmieson,           ***************************************************
Computer Science Dept.,   *                                                 *
Liverpool University,     * JANET : PHIL@UK.AC.LIV.CS.MVA                   *
PO Box 147                * ARPA  : PHIL%mva.cs.liv.ac.uk@cunyvm.cuny.edu   *
Liverpool  L69  3BX       *                                                 *
(UK) 051-794-3689         ***************************************************

phil@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk (08/15/89)

In article <443@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk>, phil@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk writes:
> Check to see that you have "DA Handler" in your system file.
                                                         ^^^^
for "file" read "folder",   oops!  :-)

bayes@hpislx.HP.COM (Scott Bayes) (08/15/89)

> When I run under multifinder, I get only a beep when I try to run any
> desk accessory.  They all work perfectly without multifinder.  I would
> appreciate any ideas as to what might be wrong.  I have an SE running
> system 6.0.2 and 2.5 megabytes of memory.

There's something called "DA Handler" (?) that needs to go in your System
Folder for DAs to work under MultiFinder. It's shipped with the current
system.

Scott Bayes

truesdel@ics.uci.edu (Scott Truesdell) (08/16/89)

tom@kahuna.math.hawaii.edu (Tom Craven) writes:

>When I run under multifinder, I get only a beep when I try to run any
>desk accessory.  They all work perfectly without multifinder.  I would
>appreciate any ideas as to what might be wrong.  I have an SE running
>system 6.0.2 and 2.5 megabytes of memory.

Do you have the DA Handler in the System Folder?  If you install your
systems via the Installer (as everyone should nowadays), it
automatically copies DA Handler over to your Hard Disk. DAs run under
their own MultiFinder "partition" and it is the DA Handler which
orchestrates this functionality.

  --scott

--
Scott Truesdell