[comp.sys.mac] Creating Postscript file

changwoo@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Chang P. Woo) (08/15/89)

Well, I know that this subject has been beaten to death several times
before, but I didn't pay attention those days.

I need to create Postscript files from some MacDraw II files. I know I
can use either command-k or command-f to create the Postscript file.
However, some people who are interested in this file may or may not
have Apple's Laserwriters. Does that mean that I should send the
Postscript file with headers (command-f)? If possible, I would want to
send the shorter file due to some space constraints. Since all
laserwriters available for use around here are Apple's Laserwriters, I
don't know what to do exactly. Would anyone care to enlighten me?

Second question. Is there any way to create Postscript files when I have
background printing option on? Somehow my Mac doesn't let me create them
under background printing.

Thanks in advance,
Chang Woo
----
Chang P. Woo             Chang.P.Woo@dartmouth.EDU (preferred)
                         changwoo@eleazar.dartmouth.EDU
                         HB 2932, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH 03755

georgem@microsoft.UUCP (George Moore) (08/16/89)

In article <lots o' numbers> Chang.P.Woo@dartmouth.edu (Chang P. Woo) writes:

>Does that mean that I should send the Postscript file with headers?
>[...] Since all laserwriters available for use around here are Apple's
>Laserwriters, I don't know what to do exactly.

Yes.  If you are going to be saving the PostScript from the Mac for later
printing on a non-Appletalk (and non-initialized) LaserWriter, you must
save the LaserPrep header.

When the Print Manager in your Mac starts to generate the PostScript, it
interrogates the target LaserWriter's PostScript interpreter to see if
the LaserPrep has been downloaded already, and if it has, if it is the
right version.

This LaserPrep header contains PostScript subroutine "shortcuts" for the
Mac to use while printing, in order to save download and interpretation
time.  Like defining "bd" to "bind def" and things like that.  Makes for
very compact, if human unfriendly, output.  BTW, my hat is off to the
Apple engineer(s) who wrote LaserPrep -- several hundred lines of elegant
PostScript code with beautiful stack management/manipulation.

ANYWAY, when your Mac produces this PostScript dump, it assumes the
LaserPrep has already been downloaded.  If not, your dump will die if fed
to a non-initialized PostScript device.  The thing to remember is:

     Dump with header?	  Previously initialized printer?	Output?
	   Yes			        No			 Yes
	   No			        Yes			 Yes
	   Yes			        Yes			 No
	   No			        No			 No

Just think of it as an XOR operation.   :-)

	-George Moore	(georgem@microsoft.COM)