[comp.sys.mac] Problems with SE/030

bklaas@cmdfs2.intel.com (Brian Klaas~) (07/29/89)

My SE/030 died just over 2 weeks out of warranty.  I have seen similar
postings on other netwoorks.

Have many people been having similar problems????

** Brian Klaas, Design Engineer     ***  DISCLAIMER:  All opinions           **
** Intel Corporation                ***     stated here are strictly my own. **
** InterNET ->  bklaas%sedona.intel.com@relay.cs.NET                  UUCP:  **
** {hplabs,decwrl,oliveb,pur-ee,qantel,amdcad}!intelca!mipos3!sedona!bklaas  **

tantuico@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (Samuel B Tantuico) (08/05/89)

In article <125@cmdfs2.intel.com> bklaas@cmdfs2.intel.com (Brian Klaas~) writes:

>My SE/030 died just over 2 weeks out of warranty.  I have seen similar
>postings on other netwoorks.
>
>Have many people been having similar problems????

Yes... it happened to me a month after the 90-day warranty.  And I still
haven't gotten around to sending it in for repairs.  It's been 3-4 days
now.  I was hoping to find an alternative solution, but it seems to me
that there's nothing else I can do.  I'm afraid of having it repaired
and then receiving a bill for lots of $$$.  But I've got no choice!

I was wondering if anyone out there has gotten their SE/30 repaired
out of warranty... how much and how long did it take?

Also, does Apple have anything to say about the problems reported from
SE/30 owners-users?

-sAm

Rutgers-Newark COSII
--------------------
[] tantuico@andromeda.rutgers.edu
[] tantuico@draco.rutgers.edu

MIKEA@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Michael Antolovich) (08/06/89)

In article <125@cmdfs2.intel.com>, bklaas@cmdfs2.intel.com (Brian Klaas~) writes:

>My SE/030 died just over 2 weeks out of warranty.  I have seen similar
>postings on other netwoorks.
>
>Have many people been having similar problems????

     Died, what did it die of !!!???  What should I look for.  Now I'm
going to lose a lot of sleep !!  How much did it cost to repair ?

                                           Worried SE30 owner.

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (08/06/89)

If you look at the cost of AppleCare coverage for SE/30, it is a
fortune (something like $220 for 1 year, v.s. $80 for the SE and $140
the Mac II, university discounted).  Obviously, Apple believes the
SE/030 is a risky / flakey product, and they're making the customer
pay for it.

pazzani@ics.uci.edu (Michael Pazzani) (08/07/89)

In article <8400146@m.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>If you look at the cost of AppleCare coverage for SE/30, it is a
>fortune (something like $220 for 1 year, v.s. $80 for the SE and $140
>the Mac II, university discounted).  Obviously, Apple believes the
>SE/030 is a risky / flakey product, and they're making the customer
>pay for it.

Do you have any more information on the university cost of AppleCare
on other components (monitors & hard disks).  Can a university researcher
pay this cost direct to Apple and have the machines serviced by any
authorized dealer or is it necessary to subscribe with a dealer (e.g.,
the university computer store) who may charge a higher price and pocket
the difference?

Thanks,
Mike

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (08/09/89)

Well, at least under our university discounts, Applecare *is* *not*
proportional to the purchase price of the machine.  The SE/030/40Mb,
at $2987 (departmental), costs $220+, yet the Mac II, at about $3000,
only costs $140.  So something is fishy in Applecare.  The next time I
buy a machine, I might use Applecare to assess Apple's confidence in
their own product!

ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) (08/15/89)

In article <8400146@m.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>If you look at the cost of AppleCare coverage for SE/30, it is a
>fortune (something like $220 for 1 year, v.s. $80 for the SE and $140
>the Mac II, university discounted).  Obviously, Apple believes the
>SE/030 is a risky / flakey product, and they're making the customer
>pay for it.

This is incorrect. Apple has always determined Applecare prices in relation
to the cost of the product. the more spendy the product, the more Applecare
will cost.

Many of the SE30 failures reported lately are hard disk failures which
Apple is replacing for FREE...If your Dealer screwed you for $$ when your
SE30 HD failed...Not sure what the recourse is, there is a service notice
out from Apple indicating a number of drives, 40 & 80 with a SN range will
be replaced free should they fail...

If you don't like Apple's policies, thats fine, just make sure that everyone
knows where your coming from when you post mis-information like above..

--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-SysOp FreeSoft RT - GEnie.

tantuico@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (Samuel B Tantuico) (08/15/89)

In article <865@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM> ngg@bridge2.3Com.com (Norman Goodger) writes:
[stuff deleted...]
>Many of the SE30 failures reported lately are hard disk failures which
>Apple is replacing for FREE...If your Dealer screwed you for $$ when your
>SE30 HD failed...Not sure what the recourse is, there is a service notice
>out from Apple indicating a number of drives, 40 & 80 with a SN range will
>be replaced free should they fail...

Just a curious note... Does anyone know how long Apple is extending their
warranty to cover the internal drives?

-sAm

Rutgers-Newark COSII

peggyl@ashtate.UUCP (Peggy Lerch) (08/16/89)

> Just a curious note... Does anyone know how long Apple is extending their
> warranty to cover the internal drives?
>
> -sAm

According to the September issue of MacWorld, Apple will replace the
drives through June of 1990.

Peggy