[comp.sys.mac] Extended keyboard alternatives?

jackson@adobe.COM (Curtis Jackson) (08/16/89)

I am reading this as I type it on my 21" Apple monochrome monitor,
which I love.  I am talking to our Sun via my new Mac IIcx, which
I also love.

I am typing this on my Apple extended keyboard, which I hate.
I am firmly convinced that the key layout was done after long
consultations with a Ouija board; the only other possibility is
that the key layout spec was written by one of those strange
artsy-fartsy types as a performance art piece.

Does anyone know of an extended keyboard (i.e., with function
keys, I need those) that has the control key to the left of the
'a', rather than the ever-so-useful locking caps lock key?
And with the esc key somewhere slightly closer at hand than the
Outer Slobovia location on this monstrosity?  I could live with
the rest of it if I could just have these two changed.

Any pointers to a "real" keyboard, regardless of expense, would
be greatly appreciated!
--

Curtis Jackson @ Adobe Systems in Mountain View, CA  (415-962-4905)
Internet: jackson@adobe.com	uucp: ...!{apple|decwrl|sun}!adobe!jackson

tecot@Apple.COM (Ed Tecot) (08/16/89)

In article <1077@adobe.UUCP> jackson@adobe.COM (Curtis Jackson) writes:
>I am typing this on my Apple extended keyboard, which I hate.
>I am firmly convinced that the key layout was done after long
>consultations with a Ouija board; the only other possibility is
>that the key layout spec was written by one of those strange
>artsy-fartsy types as a performance art piece.

Actually, the Extended keyboard was designed to be as similar to what
MS-DOS machines commonly use.  At the time, it was thought that there would
be a large market for 80286 cards.

>Does anyone know of an extended keyboard (i.e., with function
>keys, I need those) that has the control key to the left of the
>'a', rather than the ever-so-useful locking caps lock key?
>And with the esc key somewhere slightly closer at hand than the
>Outer Slobovia location on this monstrosity?  I could live with
>the rest of it if I could just have these two changed.

I'd recommend the Apple Standard Keyboard.  Function keys?  How about
Command-1, 2, 3, etc.?

						_emt

captkidd@athena.mit.edu (Ivan Cavero Belaunde) (08/16/89)

In article <1077@adobe.UUCP> jackson@adobe.COM (Curtis Jackson) writes:
>I am typing this on my Apple extended keyboard, which I hate.
>I am firmly convinced that the key layout was done after long
>consultations with a Ouija board; the only other possibility is
>that the key layout spec was written by one of those strange
>artsy-fartsy types as a performance art piece.

Actually, the Extended Keyboard layout was lifted right off IBM's extended
keyboard layout.  This was done due to much complaining from people who
wanted a "real" keyboard, and to give IBM types one more reason to move to
the Mac (IMHO).  I don't mind the layout that much since I've already
gotten used to it.  The problem is when I use my friend's SE with the
Standard keyboard and press the wrong keys.

's funny, Apple got flamed for not having an IBM layout keyboard, and now
that they have it, they get flamed for having it.

Just goes to show you can't please everyone :-)

-Ivan

Internet: captkidd@athena.mit.edu

peirce@claris.com (Michael Peirce) (08/16/89)

In article <13544@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> captkidd@athena.mit.edu (Ivan Cavero Belaunde) writes:
>In article <1077@adobe.UUCP> jackson@adobe.COM (Curtis Jackson) writes:
>>I am typing this on my Apple extended keyboard, which I hate.
>>I am firmly convinced that the key layout was done after long
>>consultations with a Ouija board; the only other possibility is
>>that the key layout spec was written by one of those strange
>>artsy-fartsy types as a performance art piece.
>
>Actually, the Extended Keyboard layout was lifted right off IBM's extended
>keyboard layout.

Funny, at DEC we thought the Apple extended keyboard was a direct rip-off
of the DEC LK-201 keyboard (used on VT-220 terminals).  We thought it was
wonderful that the Mac's VT emulation even included keyboard emulation! :-)

Claris Corp. | Michael R. Peirce