[comp.sys.mac] Icon Compile

iggy@mtunb.ATT.COM (Igor Sinyak) (08/16/89)

Hi, gang

I have a whole bunch of files that look like decompiled icons, but I can't
compile them. There is a TYPE = GRPL that neither RMaker nor REdit will
compile. Any ideas?

Thanks
-I
--
----
Iggy Sinyak		iggy@mtunb.att.com

adam@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Adam Glass) (08/17/89)

iggy@mtunb.ATT.COM (Igor Sinyak) writes:
> I have a whole bunch of files that look like decompiled icons, but I can't
> compile them. There is a TYPE = GRPL that neither RMaker nor REdit will
> compile. Any ideas?

Try getting your hands on a DA from Apple (but not supported by them) called
"Clipboard Magician". Using any file creator/type changing programs (such
as MacTools, ResEdit, and countless others...), change the type of the
file(s) to TEXT, and their creator to MACA. Go into MacWrite, Word, RedWriter,
etc..., and copy the "decompiled icon" data to the clipboard. Now, open the
Clipboard Manager DA and do something called "Type Coersion". Change the
resource type from whatever it is to "ICON". If that doesn't work, try
repeating the last step but making the data "ICN#" instead (difference:
though they have the same visual size (32x32 pixels) the ICON does not have
extra data for a mask, whereas the ICN# does). And if that doesn't work, a
last-ditch attempt would be to try PICT instead if ICON or ICN#.

You *might* be able to get them to work by changing the type/creator to
RSRC and RSED (this might be rsed -- I'm not certain). This would allow
you to open them directly in ResEdit, but it may lose when it tries to open
the hacked files.

AND... if ALL THAT doesn't work...
"...then there's only one thing you can really do to him..."
"What's that?"
"Go through his pockets and look for loose change." - The Princess Bride

Adam

(Yes, you get to see my usual tPB .sig file, also...)
--
"Offer me anything I ask for..."      (mail address in message header)
"Anything you want."

adam@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Adam Glass) (08/17/89)

iggy@mtunb.ATT.COM (Igor Sinyak) writes:
> I have a whole bunch of files that look like decompiled icons, but I can't
> compile them. There is a TYPE = GRPL that neither RMaker nor REdit will
> compile. Any ideas?

Whoops... I just realized my previous message wasn't going to help.

Change the type ("TYPE = GRPL") to ICON (again, or to ICN# if that doesn't
work...) and try to compile it again. REdit should compile it now...

Adam

--

adam@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (I) write:
> Whoops... I just realized my previous message wasn't going to help.

Well, I did it again...

> Change the type ("TYPE = GRPL") to ICON (again, or to ICN# if that doesn't
> work...) and try to compile it again. REdit should compile it now...

Change the "REdit" in the second line to "RMaker" and it'll make more sense.

No more posting for at least 10 more minutes... I promise...

Adam