[comp.sys.mac] Backgrounder and what it does

pj@pnet51.cts.com (Paul Jacoby) (08/17/89)

Here I am running a nifty little application called "PerfMonitor" which gives
a dynamically updated bar chart of how much CPU each application is using
under MultiFinder.  Kinda neat to see that ZTerm can be getting 95% useage out
of the CPU and not slowing down my Tetris playing a bit :-)
  The question comes up: Why do I see "Backgrounder" popping up every now and
then?  I can't say that I have found the exact circumstances under which it
appears, but it shows 0% CPU when it is there.  It also seldom stays for
longer than 1 second.  What could he be doing?

On an unrelated note, has anyone seen parts 9 & 10 of the Fortune II cdev that
came over binaries?  I'd really like to get these last two parts if you have
them.

 Thanks folks!

.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| UUCP: {rosevax, crash, orator}!orbit!pnet51!pj |  Working with idiots keeps |
| ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!pj@nosc.mil           |  my life interesting...    |
| INET: pj@pnet51.cts.com                        |                            |

mystone@caen.engin.umich.edu (Dean Yu) (08/17/89)

In article <870@orbit.UUCP> pj@pnet51.cts.com (Paul Jacoby) writes:
>Here I am running a nifty little application called "PerfMonitor" which gives
>a dynamically updated bar chart of how much CPU each application is using
>under MultiFinder.  Kinda neat to see that ZTerm can be getting 95% useage out
>of the CPU and not slowing down my Tetris playing a bit :-)
>  The question comes up: Why do I see "Backgrounder" popping up every now and
>then?  I can't say that I have found the exact circumstances under which it
>appears, but it shows 0% CPU when it is there.  It also seldom stays for
>longer than 1 second.  What could he be doing?

  Backgrounder allows background printing under MultiFinder.  From what I've
been able to ascertain, Backgrounder checks the spool folder in the System
Folder for files.  If there's something in there, Backgrounder launches Print
Monitor.  If it's empty, Background exits.  So if you're not printing anything,
it shouldn't take a noticeable amount of CPU time.

Dean Yu                            | E-mail: mystone@{sol,caen}.engin.umich.edu
University of Michigan             | Real-mail: Dean Yu
Computer Aided Engineering Network |            909 Church St
                                   | Phone: Given on a need to know basis, and
"I am the Merit Host.  I speak for |        only if you're going to offer me a
 the bitstream."  (In other words, |        job...
 these are my very own opinions;   |
 my employer wants to have nothing |===========================================
 to do with them, or me.)          |       This space available for rent