[comp.sys.mac] SIMMS in a MacPlus

jdn@sbcs.sunysb.edu (John Norden) (08/13/89)

I just bought and installed two 1MEG SIMMS in a Mac Plus
It seems to work fine is there any way to test if the SIMMS are
working perfectly.  When I boot up the mac it takes several
seconds to bring up the smile in the mac.  Does the computer do
memory check during this time?  Would the macintosh boot up
software identify a problem with the SIMMS?

dawyd@gargoyle.uchicago.edu (David Walton) (08/14/89)

In article <3323@sbcs.sunysb.edu> jdn@sbstaff2.UUCP (John Norden) writes:
>I just bought and installed two 1MEG SIMMS in a Mac Plus
>It seems to work fine is there any way to test if the SIMMS are
>working perfectly.  When I boot up the mac it takes several
>seconds to bring up the smile in the mac.  Does the computer do
>memory check during this time?  Would the macintosh boot up
>software identify a problem with the SIMMS?

The additional time required at startup is required for the Macintosh
to test the additional memory you've added.  To confirm that this is
the case, however, try _restarting_ (instead of powering off and then
powering on) and see if the Macintosh is still slow.  The Mac does a
memory test when the machine is started up cold, but not when it is
restarted from the Finder (restart command), the monitor, using the
programmer's switch, etc.

--

David Walton		Internet: dawyd@tartarus.UChicago.EDU
U. Chicago Computer	{  Any opinions are my own, not those	}

ccw@nvuxr.UUCP (christopher wood) (08/17/89)

In article <3323@sbcs.sunysb.edu> jdn@sbstaff2.UUCP (John Norden) writes:
>I just bought and installed two 1MEG SIMMS in a Mac Plus
>It seems to work fine is there any way to test if the SIMMS are
>working perfectly.

The machine does a memory test on powerup.  Do About the Finder... and
it will tell you how much memory it thinks it has.

>                      When I boot up the mac it takes several
>seconds to bring up the smile in the mac.  Does the computer do
>memory check during this time?

You guessed it.  More memory = more time to test; that's why the delay
is a little longer with 2.5 MB.

>                                  Would the macintosh boot up
>software identify a problem with the SIMMS?

Yup.  One of the sad mac codes tells you that there's a memory problem,
and even identifies which SIMM(s).

--
Chris Wood     Bellcore     ...!bellcore!nvuxr!ccw
                         or nvuxr!ccw@bellcore.bellcore.com