[comp.sys.mac] Finder Open Wish

dh07+@andrew.cmu.edu (David Hairston) (08/05/89)

traversing folders via an "Open file dialog" would look and feel
different than transversing folders on the desktop, altho they are in
effect the same.  personally, i'd also like to see the finder use an
"open file dialog" when "Open" is used and no file is currently
selected. in addition, i'd like that "open file dialog" to have two
windows, one containing only folders and the other containing only
non-folder type files within the currently selected folder. thus the
first window is used for movement and the second window for selection.
The ability to create folders on the run within this dialog would also
be nice!
-dave-
hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu

ericsc@microsoft.UUCP (Eric Schlegel) (08/06/89)

In article<YYqRuVy00WB3IPKlBX@andrew.cmu.edu>dh07+@andrew.cmu.edu(David Hairston) writ...
> [discussion of Standard File-style dialog box in the Finder]
>in addition, i'd like that "open file dialog" to have two
>windows, one containing only folders and the other containing only
>non-folder type files within the currently selected folder. thus the
>first window is used for movement and the second window for selection.

A bit like the NeXT file system browser, which has multiple panes spanning
a window which descend deeper into the directory hierarchy as you move
to the right. This is (IMHO) a very wonderful feature of the NeXT. When the
NeXT first came out someone posted to the net a Mac version of this browser,
but apparently was contacted by NeXT and politely told to "cease and desist,"
or more uncomfortable legalese would follow. Doesn't bode well for this
showing up in the Finder, but I agree, it would be nice.

-eric
--------
These opinions are MINE, ALL MINE!!!

stel@tank.uchicago.edu (stelios valavanis) (08/17/89)

In article <YYqRuVy00WB3IPKlBX@andrew.cmu.edu> dh07+@andrew.cmu.edu (David Hairston) writes:
>effect the same.  personally, i'd also like to see the finder use an
>"open file dialog" when "Open" is used and no file is currently
>selected. in addition, i'd like that "open file dialog" to have two
>windows, one containing only folders and the other containing only
>non-folder type files within the currently selected folder. thus the
>first window is used for movement and the second window for selection.
>The ability to create folders on the run within this dialog would also
>be nice!
>-dave-
>hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu

i agree with the feature "new folder" in the dialog box but i don't
think there should be two windows (folders, and files) just the way
it's done in applics right now. ALSO how about double clicking a file
or opening it in the finder opens that app but just opens the file in
that app if the app is already open (instead of a seconf copy
running)?  also hierarchical DAs are a must
stel

--
Bitnet:        uclstel@uchimvs1.bitnet | remember, you can't know something
Internet:       stel@tank.uchicago.edu | you know, but you can be