[comp.sys.mac] System 7.0 speculations: Hot Scoop?

kent@lloyd.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) (08/02/89)

In article <24101@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> truel@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Robert Truel) writes:

>I agree.  Since apple is creating a new outline font capability in the
>new system, I would like to encourage the inclusion of "fuzzy" fonts
>in system 7.0.  Aliases fonts should have considerably better quality
>and much less eyestrain.  Moreover the technology is available and
>simple.  Especially simple if the macintosh is creating bitmap fonts
>on the fly.

Want an answer in the form of a wild-ass prediction?

Apple knows that fuzzy fonts are better, but Apple has *no* intention
of making the new font manager output fuzzy fonts.

Never.

Rather, when they fix QuickDraw (i.e., give it all that PostScript can
do, plus some) they will give *it* antialiasing.  That way, not only
will fonts be antialiased, but so will diagonal lines, circles, etc.

Note to programmers: any 1-to-1 CopyBits calls will behave about the
same in a new QuickDraw, but LineTo's and PaintOval's, etc., will get
to take advantage of better quality, antialiased replacements.  When
given a choice, try to use the calls which will get better under the
new QuickDraw.  Avoid blitting stored bitmaps around when other QD
calls will do.

(Though when CopyBits-ing between different sized rects, antialiasing
*will* likely help.  Plus, you might well CopyBits to the screen from
a depth-matched pixMap, which itself is antialiased.  Things get
tricky here...)

When will a new QuickDraw hit?  Well, I think they were at some point
planning on having it be part of 7.0, but I don't know whether they
still think so.

Any of you have wild predictions about a new QuickDraw?

Disclaimer: Apple has told me *nothing* about the future of QuickDraw.
(Which tells me something--boy have they been tight lipped about it!)
What I write here is an educated (??) guess.

Kent Borg
kent@lloyd.uucp
or
...!husc6!lloyd!kent

casseres@apple.com (David Casseres) (08/03/89)

In article <458@lloyd.camex.uucp> kent@lloyd.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) writes:
> In article <24101@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> truel@silver.bacs.indiana.edu
(Robert Truel) writes:

> >...Aliased fonts should have considerably better quality
> >and much less eyestrain.  Moreover the technology is available and
> >simple.  Especially simple if the macintosh is creating bitmap fonts
> >on the fly.

(I'm really answering Robert Truel's original posting, rather than Kent
Borg's)

Anti-aliased fonts MAY be more desirable in some applications.  We don't
know, because the research hasn't been done, whether they give less
eyestrain -- they may give MORE eyestrain.  Remember, the essence of
anti-aliasing is that it removes the "jaggies" by blurring them.  So
eyestrain is a question, and so is readability.  The only "better quality"
that we KNOW about from anti-aliased fonts is that they LOOK better when
you just look at them (as opposed to sitting down and doing some reading).

Furthermore, the technology is not simple, especially if you are creating
the fonts on the fly and don't want it to take all day.  It's not worth
doing unless you implement sub-pixel positioning, i.e. the ability to
place a character (logically) on a grid that is finer than the screen
resolution, using gray to "blur" it into the right place.  This is because
character positioning, not jaggies, is the main thing that makes text look
funky and unreadable at low resolutions.  But to do this means redoing the
anti-aliasing every time each character has to be drawn, or else caching
several versions of each character image.

DISCLAIMER: I have no connection with the System 7.0 effort, or the
outline fonts effort, or the font manager, and this posting consists of my
very own opinions, not necessarily Apple's.

David Casseres

Exclaimer:  Hey!

sho@pur-phy (Sho Kuwamoto) (08/03/89)

In article <458@lloyd.camex.uucp> kent@lloyd.UUCP (Kent Borg) writes:

>Want an answer in the form of a wild-ass prediction?
>
>Apple knows that fuzzy fonts are better, but Apple has *no* intention
>of making the new font manager output fuzzy fonts.
>
>Never.
>
>Rather, when they fix QuickDraw (i.e., give it all that PostScript can
>do, plus some) they will give *it* antialiasing.  That way, not only
>will fonts be antialiased, but so will diagonal lines, circles, etc.

Yes, I like the idea of anti-aliasing.  No, I don't think we'll see it
standardized in the near future.  I was hoping that when the Mac II
came out, they would at least implement an intelligent scaled
CopyBits, but they didn't.  I was thinking about this, and one of the
main reasons that anti-aliasing would be difficult is that the
programmer (or perhaps user, even) has complete control over the color
palette.  Try to anti-alias when all your colors have been set up as a
rainbow + black & white.

> [...]
>When will a new QuickDraw hit?  Well, I think they were at some point
>planning on having it be part of 7.0, but I don't know whether they
>still think so.
>
>Any of you have wild predictions about a new QuickDraw?
>
>Disclaimer: Apple has told me *nothing* about the future of QuickDraw.
>(Which tells me something--boy have they been tight lipped about it!)
>What I write here is an educated (??) guess.

We've been hearing for a while about how great this new Quickdraw
replacement (NuGraph?  NuGraf?) is going to be.  I believe it.
Postscript is no prize.  However, Apple hasn't even begun to issue any
guidelines for future compatibility, esp with regards to color
selection.  At the very least, Apple should commandeer *4* colors out
of any given palette, not two.  Assign them to be the foreground,
background, and intermediate shades.  If the colors are not set
correectly, anti-alising will be almost pointless.  32bit quickdraw
was nice, esp the dithering, but it is only a tiny step forward, as
far as I'm concerned.  When the new QuickDraw comes, it will probably
be completely incompatible with QuickDraw (like the new printing
manager) or it will keep the old quickdraw stuff around as extra
baggage, like the old color model.  For example, how would you
implement regions in a completely device independent manner?

-Sho
--
sho@risc.com  <<-- more calories than a big lump of butter.

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (08/03/89)

In article <458@lloyd.camex.uucp> kent@lloyd.UUCP (Kent Borg) writes:
>In article <24101@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> truel@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Robert Truel) writes:
>>
>>I agree.  Since apple is creating a new outline font capability in the
>>new system, I would like to encourage the inclusion of "fuzzy" fonts
>>in system 7.0.  Aliases fonts should have considerably better quality
>>and much less eyestrain.  Moreover the technology is available and
>>simple.  Especially simple if the macintosh is creating bitmap fonts
>>on the fly.

>Want an answer in the form of a wild-ass prediction?
>
>Apple knows that fuzzy fonts are better, but Apple has *no* intention
>of making the new font manager output fuzzy fonts.
>
>Never.
>
>Rather, when they fix QuickDraw (i.e., give it all that PostScript can

One thing, though, for both of you.  Anti-aliasing is going to require some
computation.  If you watch the demo that apple has (or the one I saw, anyway)
of the new outline fonts, it starts printing slowly, then speeds up as it
begins to repeat characters it's already built.  The demo was "filmed" on a
Mac II (I don't know if it was a IIx or IIcx, but I suspect that it was) and it
was still fairly slow.  Now imagine throwing in all the computation for the
anti-aliasing.  The first characters are going to crawl.  Displays with, say,
24-bit depth would be particularly hard-hit, I think.  And Quick Draw won't
be quick if it does anti-aliasing, either, since it doesn't use a build-once-
then-reuse process...

Finally, I talked to a guy from Apple about two months ago.  His word was that
Apple has no plans for anti-aliasing in this release.  Oh, well.

--Mike

Standard disclaimers...

milo@ndmath.UUCP (Greg Corson) (08/03/89)

From article <2397@pur-phy>, by sho@pur-phy (Sho Kuwamoto):
> In article <458@lloyd.camex.uucp> kent@lloyd.UUCP (Kent Borg) writes:
>>
>>Want an answer in the form of a wild-ass prediction?
>>
>>Apple knows that fuzzy fonts are better, but Apple has *no* intention
>>of making the new font manager output fuzzy fonts.
>>
>>Never.
>>
>>Rather, when they fix QuickDraw (i.e., give it all that PostScript can
>>do, plus some) they will give *it* antialiasing.  That way, not only
>>will fonts be antialiased, but so will diagonal lines, circles, etc.

I think the only real way to impliment GOOD anti-aliasing is in the video board
hardware.  You store 4x as many pixels and hardware average quads of pixels
down to single ones.  This isn't particularly difficult to do, but memory
access has to be fast (althought that isn't much of a problem these days).

The problem with doing it in SOFTWARE (ie quickdraw) is how to handle drawing
overtop of already existing bits in a bitmap...  You can't tell where the
existing bits came from, their color or alignment from the anti-aliased image
already in the video card...so how do you draw (accurately) anti-aliased
images over top of it?

The only way to do it in software AND allow random drawing of additions to
the picture would be to have a "high" resolution non-antialiased off-screen
bitmap in addition to the antialiased image on the video card RAM.  Then you
draw everything (bigger) on the off-screen bitmap, average groups of pixels
as you go, writing them to the video card.  It works...but is very expensive
in CPU time and RAM.  Doing the anti-aliasing in hardware is much more efficient
and quite a bit faster...it still uses a lot of RAM, but not as much as
doing a software anti-alias!

Greg Corson
19141 Summers Drive
South Bend, IN 46637
(219) 277-5306
{pur-ee,rutgers,uunet}!iuvax!ndmath!milo

louis@asterix.drev.dnd.ca (Louis Demers) (08/04/89)

In article <3300@internal.Apple.COM>, casseres@apple.com (David Casseres) writes:
> Anti-aliased fonts MAY be more desirable in some applications.  We don't
> know, because the research hasn't been done, whether they give less
> eyestrain -- they may give MORE eyestrain.  Remember, the essence of
> anti-aliasing is that it removes the "jaggies" by blurring them.  So
> eyestrain is a question, and so is readability.  The only "better quality"
> that we KNOW about from anti-aliased fonts is that they LOOK better when
> you just look at them (as opposed to sitting down and doing some reading).

I once heard of an experiment where people were presented two text, one
on an ordinary bitmap screen an one on which the font were anti-aliased.
The persons were then asked to correct the text.  The text presented
with the anti-aliased fonts had significantly more errors corrected
than the text presented on the other screen.  This study (done
I beleive by IBM ... oops ;-) tend to support that readability is
enhanced by anti-aliased fonts.   Their report did mention something
about readability, but I can't remember.  Extrapolating, I would
beleive that eye strain would also be reduced.

* Louis Demers              * Defence Research Establishment Valcartier      *
* office = (418) 844-4424   * Electro-Optics Division                        *
*    lab = (418) 844-4265   * P.O. Box 8800                                  *
*    bed = (418) 839-9266   * 2459 PIE XI Blvd.                              *
* louis@asterix.drev.dnd.ca * Courcelette,  Quebec                           *
* demers@ncs.dnd.ca         * CANADA,  G0A 1R0                               *

truel@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Robert Truel) (08/08/89)

In article <3300@internal.Apple.COM> casseres@apple.com (David Casseres):

>Anti-aliased fonts MAY be more desirable in some applications.  We don't
>know, because the research hasn't been done, whether they give less
>eyestrain -- they may give MORE eyestrain.  Remember, the essence of
>anti-aliasing is that it removes the "jaggies" by blurring them.  So
>eyestrain is a question, and so is readability.  The only "better quality"
>that we KNOW about from anti-aliased fonts is that they LOOK better when
>you just look at them (as opposed to sitting down and doing some reading).

I don't have the studies, but I believe that the studies suggesting that
readability increases was done either be IBM (as suggested on the net) or
XEROX (my belief).  However, I suggest that computer screens are not
"so clear" that a small amount of controlled blurring would not be
beneficial.  I even remember it being suggested that the ringing done
when the circuitry driving the electron beam goes from "full on" to "full off"
is a major component of eyestrain, which can be relaxed somewhat by using
greyscales.

>Furthermore, the technology is not simple, especially if you are creating
>the fonts on the fly and don't want it to take all day.  It's not worth
>doing unless you implement sub-pixel positioning, i.e. the ability to
>place a character (logically) on a grid that is finer than the screen
>resolution, using gray to "blur" it into the right place.  This is because
>character positioning, not jaggies, is the main thing that makes text look
>funky and unreadable at low resolutions.  But to do this means redoing the
>anti-aliasing every time each character has to be drawn, or else caching
>several versions of each character image.

Anti-aliasing merely requires generating a bitmap in a larger (double)
resolution and then averaging some number of pixels (four) to
determine the shade of gray to use.  This intermediate step can of course
be skipped when computing bitmaps from curves (the averaging being done
in the process of computing the curves), but it seems that this would be
a small amount of cpu time compare to calculating b-splines (or bezier
curves) and grid shifting.

Furthermore, there are more reasons for doing it than implementing sub-
pixel positioning:  It would allow oblique (italic) characters to be slanted
at a less severe angle.  It would remove the problem of highlighted text
being completely black on a grayscale monitor (or am I the only one
with this problem).  It would be another first for the Macintosh
software, and a huge experiment; if they really don't increase readibility,
then no big deal, they go away.  If they do, then Apple scores big (I see
adds with pc's and people with glasses and big bottles of Excedrin vs.
happy people with macintoshes :).  It would give them a chance to work out
the bugs before system 8.

Someone else wrote: (sorry, I saved without the header)
>One thing, though, for both of you.  Anti-aliasing is going to require some
>computation.  If you watch the demo that apple has (or the one I saw, anyway)
>of the new outline fonts, it starts printing slowly, then speeds up as it
>begins to repeat characters it's already built.  The demo was "filmed"
>on a Mac II (I don't know if it was a IIx or IIcx, but I suspect that it
>was) and it was still fairly slow.  Now imagine throwing in all the
>computation for the anti-aliasing.  The first characters are going to crawl
>Displays with, say, 24-bit depth would be particularly hard-hit, I think.
>And Quick Draw won't be quick if it does anti-aliasing, either, since it
>doesn't use a build-once-then-reuse process...

I don't think that most people work in 32 bit color.  Especially for text
oriented things.  And I am not encouraging 24 bit averaging.  Two would
be sufficient.  Further even if it takes noticibly longer to produce the
anti-aliased fonts (I believe unlikely), what you describe seems sufficient
to convince alot of people to leave their macs on all of the time (if they
don't already to save wear and tear on their hard drives).

Bob Truel

Robert N. Truel			"Life sucks, of course, but it didn't have
				 to suck quite like this" -- RJSJR
truel@silver.bacs.indiana.edu
truelr@iubacs.BITNET

amanda@intercon.uu.net (Amanda Walker) (08/08/89)

In article <24388@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>, truel@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Robert
Truel) writes:
> Anti-aliasing merely requires generating a bitmap in a larger (double)
> resolution and then averaging some number of pixels (four) to
> determine the shade of gray to use.

Actually, although a 16-level gray scale is great for anti-aliasing scenes,
characters are close enough to the screen resolution that you'd probably
want to average 16 by 16 pixel areas (thus using a 256-level gray scale).

For some time now I've been thinking about doing some actual empirical
tests and actually building some anti-aliased fonts.  I just seem to
have misplaced the free time in which do so :-)...

--
Amanda Walker
InterCon Systems Corporation

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (08/08/89)

(Robert Truel) writes about anti-aliasing being good for readibility:

>I don't have the studies, but I believe that the studies suggesting that
>readability increases was done either be IBM (as suggested on the net) or
>XEROX (my belief).

I remember seeing an article about research DEC had done in creating legible
screen fonts.  The claim in that article was that jaggies ARE NOT THE PROBLEM;
that real benefits lie in serifs, proper letter shapes, and proper stroke
weights.  (Now, anti-aliasing may indeed help with stroke weights.)  The
fonts touted in the article were not smooth at all, as I remember.

Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: {convex,uunet}!uiucuxc!dorner
IfUMust:  (217) 244-1765

casseres@apple.com (David Casseres) (08/09/89)

(Robert Truel) writes:
> Anti-aliasing merely requires generating a bitmap in a larger (double)
> resolution and then averaging some number of pixels (four) to
> determine the shade of gray to use.

I think the word "merely" is stretching it.  For one thing, as Amanda
Walker points out you probably want more than two gray levels in between
black and white.  It's going to involve significant processing and
significant amounts of RAM.

> This intermediate step can of course
> be skipped when computing bitmaps from curves (the averaging being done
> in the process of computing the curves), but it seems that this would be
> a small amount of cpu time compare to calculating b-splines (or bezier
> curves) and grid shifting.

Calculating the curves is not the time-consuming part, as I understand it;
filling the curves is, and boundary-testing is the hard part of filling
algorithms.  If you do multi-level gray-scaling at the boundaries, the
worst part of the problem is suddenly much more complex.  None of this
stuff is impossible; but if you have to recreate a multi-level pixmap each
time you draw a character (with sub-pixel positioning), and you don't want
performance to go down the drain, it's a hard problem.

David Casseres

Exclaimer:  Hey!

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (08/09/89)

In article <1989Aug8.151335.8232@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu> dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) writes:

>I remember seeing an article about research DEC had done in creating legible
>screen fonts.  The claim in that article was that jaggies ARE NOT THE PROBLEM;
>that real benefits lie in serifs, proper letter shapes, and proper stroke
>weights.  (Now, anti-aliasing may indeed help with stroke weights.)  The
>fonts touted in the article were not smooth at all, as I remember.

However, you will note that unless you have very high screen resolution, you cannot
display proper serifs or even really good letter shapes.  Meanwhile, if you anti-
alias, you can use a gray pixel where a serif is supposed to appear, and the eye
will interpret it as a serif.  Also, by using gray pixels, you can make the eye
perceive finer variations in letter shape, and of course, stroke weight.

--Mike

Standard disclaimers...

landman%hanami@Sun.COM (Howard A. Landman x61391) (08/17/89)

In article <3300@internal.Apple.COM> casseres@apple.com (David Casseres) writes:
>Anti-aliased fonts MAY be more desirable in some applications.  We don't
>know, because the research hasn't been done, whether they give less
>eyestrain -- they may give MORE eyestrain.  Remember, the essence of
>anti-aliasing is that it removes the "jaggies" by blurring them.  So
>eyestrain is a question, and so is readability.

Readability is *NOT* a question.  Anyone who has spent more than 1 minute
looking at aliased and antialiased fonts at the same (small) size will
know this without having to be told, but the research supports it also.
Readability is measurably improved.

Some research *has* been done into the eyestrain issue.  The initial
indications are that antialiasing reduces eyestrain, but further work is
needed.

>It's not worth
>doing unless you implement sub-pixel positioning, i.e. the ability to
>place a character (logically) on a grid that is finer than the screen
>resolution, using gray to "blur" it into the right place.

Yes.  That's why Sun's new GX graphics card implements quarter-pixel
positioning for text and graphics.  (Now if I could just afford a
SparcStation to stick it in ... :-)

	Howard A. Landman
	landman@sun.com

casseres@apple.com (David Casseres) (08/18/89)

In article <121923@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> landman%hanami@Sun.COM (Howard A.
Landman x61391) writes:
> Readability is *NOT* a question.  Anyone who has spent more than 1 minute
> looking at aliased and antialiased fonts at the same (small) size will
> know this without having to be told...

I have done that, and I do not know any such thing.  I do know that the
antialiased fonts look nice, but to assess readability requires a whole
lot more exposure than 1 minute (I've had maybe 5).

> ...but the research supports it also.  Readability is measurably
> improved.

I guess there is some difference of opinion on the scope and quality of
the research.  What I've seen has been either very sketchy, or mostly made
up of unsupported assertions.  Readability is rather difficult to define
in a rigorous and meaningful manner, and even more difficult to measure
objectively.

Perhaps you've seen research that I'm not aware of; I'd love to see it too
if that's the case.

David Casseres

Exclaimer:  Hey!