[comp.sys.mac] Cheap Scanners

MIKEA@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Michael Antolovich) (08/17/89)

Hi everybody, does anyone have experience with hand held type scanners
(4" wide strips etc).  Are they any good, are the pieces of a page
easily lined up or is it just not worth it.  What about cheap OCR
programs (are there any that work for a small price ?)
       How are the small scanners powdered ?  (want to use in US and
Australia, ie 240V 50Hz)  Do they run off the Mac or a seperate power
cube ?
                                       Thanks in advance,

                                        Michael.

garths%glass@Sun.COM (Garth Snyder) (08/18/89)

MIKEA@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Michael Antolovich) writes:

> Hi everybody, does anyone have experience with hand held type scanners
> (4" wide strips etc).  Are they any good, are the pieces of a page
> easily lined up or is it just not worth it.  What about cheap OCR
> programs (are there any that work for a small price ?)

I don't know that much about them, but I have seen demo'ed and played
with ThunderWare's LightningScan, and was extremely impressed.  I'm
planning to buy one of these at some point in the future (if the price
comes down a little more) just for the spiffiness value.

The complete system includes the hand scanner and a SCSI interface box
into which it plugs.  I don't know where the power comes from.
Unfortunately, the interface box for the LightningScan is about the
ugliest thing you have ever seen.  It is an extruded metal case with
plastic caps, kind of like a Hayes 1200 baud modem, only worse.  The
scanning unit itself is plastic, but it is beige plastic, not platinum.
I asked the ThunderWare rep if it was available in platinum and he
scoffed at me.  I'm sorry, if this thing's going to live on my desk I
want it to look nice, not like some creepy refugee from PC-land.

The scanner will scan a strip about 4 inches wide, at resolutions of
100, 200, 300, and 400 dpi.  Black and white only, no gray scales (but
see below).  It is easy to use and doesn't require you to have a
superhumanly steady hand.  There is a roller on the bottom that
detects motion.  The info coming in from the scanning bar is
cross-referenced with the motion tracking, so you can go as fast or as
slow as you like (within the limits of the data transfer rate to the
computer), even stop and start with little distortion.

There is a slit at the top of the scanner that lets you see through to
the page you are scanning.  Presumably this helps you get things lined
up right, though I found it kind of strange to use since you don't
actually see something in the window until you've already rolled over
it.

By not scanning exactly along a straight line, you can produce some
wild effects that just can't be rivalled with a conventional scanner.
Because of the motion tracking, you can be very subtle about this and
produce results that don't look obviously distorted, yet don't match
the original.  You can move the scanner back and forth to produce a
mirroring effect, too.  Neat!

The software supplied with the thing is the same software that ships
with ThunderScan.  Both a DA and an application are provided, but the
functionality of the system is randomly distributed between the two.
Some things you can only do from the DA, others only from the app.
Almost like the two were developed by different teams.

As a whole, the software has some outstanding abilities.  It will take
a black and white scan and collapse it into a (smaller) gray scale
image.  Works great!  The neat thing about this is that you can then
resize the gray scale image and halftone it back to black and white
without making it look like a scaled bitmap.  There is a transfer
function control a la Image Studio that lets you map input gray levels
to output levels, so you can posterize and re-contrast to your heart's
content.  Unfortunately, there is no control over halftoning.  The
halftone method used is the one that gives you results that look kind
of like a mezzotint - I don't know what the name for this is.  It does
give nice results and is probably the way to go if you can only have
one halftone screen.

I haven't seen the Logitek ScanMan in real life, but I gather from
photos that it uses same scanning hardware.  I have seen the
VideoWorks plug for it (which is a real treat in itself, by the way),
and the software looks much less sophisticated.  The ScanMan comes in
platinum, and the interface box is sleeker and actually looks like a
Mac peripheral.  It is also about $50 cheaper ($350 vs $399 for the
Lightning Scan).

What I'd really like is the Logitek hardware with the ThunderWare
software.  I don't know if the interface boxes are compatible, and I
doubt the two companies would cooperate to sell me this combination
anyway.  My current plan is to wait for the Lightning Scan to come out
in slightly less repulsive clothes.

As I say, my hands on experience with these scanners is limited.  I'd
love to hear from someone with more perspective.

Garth Snyder
Sun Microsystems, mail drop 14-40       ARPA: garths@eng.sun.com
2550 Garcia Avenue                      ALSO: garth@boulder.colorado.edu
Mountain View, CA  94043