[comp.sys.mac] *REAL* dictionaries for the Mac

rmorgan@pyrnova (Rockie Morgan - Seattle) (08/15/89)

Does anyone know of a product that offers a _real_ dictionary for the
Mac with definitions.  I'm not looking for a spelling checker or thesaurus,
rather an on-line equivalent of my Websters II.

Thanks in advance (and I'll summarize mail to save band-width.  Please.)

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (08/16/89)

In article <80794@pyramid.pyramid.com> rmorgan@pyrnova.pyramid.com (Rockie Morgan - Seattle) writes:
>Does anyone know of a product that offers a _real_ dictionary for the
>Mac with definitions.  I'm not looking for a spelling checker or thesaurus,
>rather an on-line equivalent of my Websters II.

I have another wish.  I want a language dictionary on the Mac.  Nothing fancy, just
a program that sits there and at which I can type words like "cat"and get back
"gato" (or "nekko," if you're of a Japanese bent).  Imagine the improvement in
reading speed if you could sit at the Mac with your book, and whenever you find a
word you don't recognize, just type it at the program, glance at the translation,
and move on.  Same goes for writing: run it and your favorite word processor under
MultiFinder (or maybe it should be a DA); as you're typing along, you realize you
don't know the word.  Type the word in English, select it, copy it, switch to the
translator, pick the apropriate translation, and the word in your document is
replaced!  (P.S. If this hasn't been done yet, nobody better steal my look and feel,
or I'll sue for brainwave infringement ;-)) Obviously, I'd like to be able
to type at it in the apropriate language, and have it return the English, but I think
that just about goes without saying.  I know the databases are there, since people
like Seiko market these pocket gadgets with 20,000 word lists.  They're neat and
all, but I can't really use one if I've got 50 pages to read in a foreign language.
Wake up guys!  There's a market!

--Mike

bmartin@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Brian Martin) (08/18/89)

In article <80794@pyramid.pyramid.com> rmorgan@pyrnova.pyramid.com (Rockie Morgan - Seattle) writes:
>Does anyone know of a product that offers a _real_ dictionary for the
>Mac with definitions.  I'm not looking for a spelling checker or thesaurus,
>rather an on-line equivalent of my Websters II.

Spelling Coach from Deneba offers an interactive and batch spell checker,
an online version of Merriam-Webster's 9th, including complete definitions of
all dictionary entries, an online thesaurus, and a somewhat primitive
grammar checker.  The dictionary includes hyphenation and capitalization rules
for all entries.

I've used the product for over a year, and have been very pleased with it.
Iit turns ms-word into a very powerful writing tool.

-- Brian
====
    Brian K. Martin, M.D.

ARPA: uhccux!bmartin@nosc.MIL
UUCP: {uunet,dcdwest,ucbvax}!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!bmartin
INTERNET: bmartin@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu