[comp.sys.mac] Problems with the Control Panel...

adam@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Adam Glass) (08/14/89)

I seem to be having some trouble with the General cdev in the Control Panel.
I want to set my background pattern to a darker shade of gray than it currently
is. So I double click on one of the colors in the color palette which brings
up the ColorPicker dialog. I make all of the RG&B values the same (which moves
the "selected color box" into the center. I drag the scroll bar tab down to the
desired gray level, and click OK. I paint over the whole icon-style-editing
view of the background pattern with the new gray value and click on the little
icon of the screen (I'm sorry if all this crazy language is getting a bit
confusing, but that's what I get for not reading the Control Panel docs).
Instead of updating the background pattern like it's supposed to, it beeps at
me. Why does the thing beep? The programmer(s) obviously have some reason to
make it beep. I'm not running out of memory. It's not Vaccine or Gatekeeper
refusing to allow the cdev to update the System file (that *is* what it
changes, right?). So what's the deal? I've had to change the background to a
nice picture of a Porche, because I hate the old-style gray pattern (as opposed
to the new-style gray COLOR).

Are there any control panel programmers out there (not cdev programmers, the
authors of the control panel itself)? Does anyone know what the story is? Or,
do you know what resource in the system file changes? I could just change it
with ResEdit...

Adam

--
"Offer me anything I ask for..."      | email: adam@media-lab.media.mit.edu |
"Anything you want."                  +---------------------------+---------+

paulm@lotus.UUCP (Paul Morganthall) (08/17/89)

<Regarding beeps when trying to set a new background pattern>

When I click on the desktop icon to set the pattern, it sets fine.  When
I double-click, to save the pattern (so the document says), it beeps.
Since we're already on the topic of beeping patterns, I thought maybe we
should get a complete catalog.  I could find nothing in the doc about beeps
from this operation.  Anyone heard of this?

thanks tons,
---paul

-----  paulm@lotus.com  ----- ...!uunet!lotus!paulm -----

stanbach@Apple.COM (Frank Stanbach) (08/18/89)

In article <224@lotus.UUCP>, paulm@lotus.UUCP (Paul Morganthall) writes:
> <Regarding beeps when trying to set a new background pattern>
>
> When I click on the desktop icon to set the pattern, it sets fine.  When
> I double-click, to save the pattern (so the document says), it beeps.
> Since we're already on the topic of beeping patterns, I thought maybe we
> should get a complete catalog.  I could find nothing in the doc about beeps
> from this operation.  Anyone heard of this?
>
> thanks tons,
> ---paul
>
> -----  paulm@lotus.com  ----- ...!uunet!lotus!paulm -----

This only seems to happen when you try to edit the pattern
immediately after opening the general control panel device.
To work around this, enter the control panel and cycle through
the patterns until you get back to the one you wanted to edit
then double clicking seems to work.
Apparently, double clicking will work as long as you
change the patterns once.

Francis

--
wmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwmwm
Francis Stanbach Software Engineer Finder & Applications Apple Computer, Inc.