[comp.sys.mac] Warranty violations

barnett@cs.utexas.edu (Lewis Barnett @ home on the range) (08/19/89)

In article <975@lakesys.UUCP> macak@lakesys.UUCP (James Macak) writes:
>In article <1509@manta.cme.nbs.gov> proctor@cme.nbs.gov (Fred Proctor) writes:
>>I ordered some transformers from the company below at about $20, and I
>>plan on replacing the next bad one myself.  If you don't cover your
>>tracks, you'll violate the warranty, however.
>                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>So many times we read about a concern for violating Apple's Mac warranty, yet
>so often that extremely meager warranty has already expired!
>
>Jim (yes, I'm unhappy about the short warranty) Macak
>--
>macak@lakesys.UUCP (James Macak) or lakesys!macak@csd1.milw.wisc.edu

I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but voiding the
warranty isn't the only gotcha here.  If for some reason you
eventually *do* need an official board replacement, the dealer
sends your old board back to Apple -- I don't know exactly what
goes on, whether the dealer gets some sort of rebate or what --
but Apple will refuse to take back hacked up boards.  This could
conceivably cause the customer some trouble with the dealer, etc.

I'm not even going to get into the problems I'm having trying to
get just a yoke assembly for an otherwise perfectly good CRT...

Lewis Barnett -- barnett@CS.UTEXAS.EDU, barnett@im4u.UUCP,
      {pyramid,sequent,harvard,gatech,ctvax,uunet}!cs.utexas.edu!barnett
"A man is like a rusty wheel on a rusty cart,
 He sings his song as he rattles along and then he falls apart."  R. Thompson