[comp.sys.mac] Mac to DOS disk

marmar@mtk.UUCP (Mark Martino) (08/17/89)

In an effort to maintain familiar, but not too intimate, ties with the
MS-DOS world in which my Mac must co-exist, I am looking for an external
5 1/4 inch disk drive with software that will let me read and write in
MS-DOS format from my Mac.  I already know how I can put a 3 1/2 inch
drive in an IBM PC clone and read and write Mac disks, but I'd like to
get the clone off my desk and keep it off.

I need to be able to dump to MS-DOS once in a while because our
current breed of emulators run on clones.

csachs@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Colin Sachs) (08/18/89)

In article <894@mtk.UUCP>, marmar@mtk.UUCP (Mark Martino) writes:
> ... looking for an external
> 5 1/4 inch disk drive with software that will let me read and write in
> MS-DOS format from my Mac...

If anyone has information on this, please post it.  I'ld like to see it
too.  I work in a 99.99% all Mac/Apple computer lab, but personally have
a PC that was given to me.  I'ld like to port my thesis work over to the
Mac for final printing on the LaserWriter (the Mac's are *not* a part of
the campus WAN yet).  If it is inexpensive enough, I might be able to
convince the Psychology Department to purchase the necessary equiptment.

--
Colin Sachs     csachs@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

          "Nature within her inmost self divides
           To trouble men with having to take sides." - R. Frost

scb1@tank.uchicago.edu (Sam Blackman) (08/18/89)

Apple makes a 5.25" drive ... and now I'll quote from the latest piece of
Apple literature ...

APPLE PC 5.25 DRIVE

This drive offers a straightforward way to use MS-DOS data in your
Macintosh applications.  It lets your Macintosh SE, IIcx, II or IIx
computer read files from and write them to a 360K, 5.25-inch MS-DOS-
formatted media.  A Macintosh SE-Bus PC Drive Card (M5023/A) or
Macintosh II PC Drive Card (M5056/A) is required.

     - Provides easy data exchange between Macintosh and MS-DOS
       formatted disks
     - Offers 360K of on-line data storage per disk
     - Provides the same data-transfer rates as MS-DOS drives

Apple PC 5.25 Drive   A9M0110

Hope this helps !

Sam
--
Samuel C. Blackman         ! InterNet : scb1@tank.uchicago.edu ! Link : ST0426
Apple Student Rep.         ! Disclaimer : Does anybody really care what I'm

xdab@tank.uchicago.edu (David Baird) (08/18/89)

I have had good luck with the DaynaFile device. When it is on at
startup, any DOS disk insterted in it (mine is configured for
5 1/4", 360k and 3 1/2" 720 and 144k disks) looks and acts like
a Macintosh disk. I can copy files to and from it.

I usually copy any files to my Mac's hard disk for un DOSing (converting
to Mac Word, etc.) because of speed, but everything works and looks
just like a Mac disk.

Cost was around $800 18 months ago.

jordan@Morgan.COM (Jordan Hayes) (08/18/89)

In article <894@mtk.UUCP> marmar@mtk.UUCP (Mark Martino) writes:

	I already know how I can put a 3 1/2 inch drive in an IBM PC
	clone and read and write Mac disks, but I'd like to get the
	clone off my desk and keep it off.

Really?  Must it be a 1.44 drive, or is there software to read Mac
disks on 720K 3-1/2" drives?

/jordan

captkidd@athena.mit.edu (Ivan Cavero Belaunde) (08/19/89)

In article <725@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU> csachs@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Colin Sachs) writes:
>In article <894@mtk.UUCP>, marmar@mtk.UUCP (Mark Martino) writes:
>> ... looking for an external
>> 5 1/4 inch disk drive with software that will let me read and write in
>> MS-DOS format from my Mac...

There are a number of way to transfer files from the IBM PC to the Mac...

1) To do *exactly* what you ask for, you will need either Apple's 5.25 PC
	drive, or a Daynafile.  With Apple's drive, you read and write
	files to and from the PC drive using Apple Filex Exchange, included
	with your Mac.  Although I haven't seen it working, it is my
	understanding that the DaynaFile is more elegant, actually showing
	the disks on the desktop and allowing direct read/write to them
	via the Finder or the SFPackage.

2) You could transfer files from 5.25 to 3.5 PC format using a PC with
	both size drives and then use a FDHD equipped Mac and AFX to
	transfer the files.

3) You could try to find a network with both Macs and PCs on it running
	TOPS.  Then to transfer all you had to do is mount the disk and
	copy to/from it.

4) You could connect a PC and a Mac together via the serial port and use
	MacLink to copy files to and from the PC (it also does file
	format conversion, and I think [not sure] that the serial cable
	is included).

I'm sure there're more ways to transfer the stuff (Rapport, for example),
but this should do.

-Ivan

Internet: captkidd@athena.mit.edu