[comp.sys.mac] Telecommunication under Multifinder.

rif_xu@eds.ericsson.se (08/18/89)

	I need to send and recieve file from a Vax in the background under
	Multifinder, thus I wonder if there are any (preferably PD/SW)
	program that does this?

	Sigge Ruschkowski
	Sweden
	kjr@kkeka1.ericsson.se

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (08/19/89)

In article <2334@eds.ericsson.se> rif_xu@eds.ericsson.se writes:

>	I need to send and recieve file from a Vax in the background under
>	Multifinder, thus I wonder if there are any (preferably PD/SW)
>	program that does this?
>
>	Sigge Ruschkowski
>	Sweden
>	kjr@kkeka1.ericsson.se

Try Zterm 0.8, which is available widely.  It supports XModem, YModem, Zmodem, and
I think Kermit, though I'm not sure.  You will need the programs sz and rz for the
VAX, but I think that they're widely available as well.  As long as you don't do
too much intensive disk I/O or print anything out, it works fine in the background.

--Mike

Disclaimer:  I think that disclaimers are an incredibly sad statement about our
society.  Nonetheless, nothing I say here can or shold be construed as having been
said by anyone.  Ever.

In article <529@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Michael J Kobb) writes:
>In article <2334@eds.ericsson.se> rif_xu@eds.ericsson.se writes:
>>
>>	I need to send and recieve file from a Vax in the background under
>>	Multifinder, thus I wonder if there are any (preferably PD/SW)
>>	program that does this?
>>
>>	Sigge Ruschkowski
>>	Sweden
>>	kjr@kkeka1.ericsson.se
>
>Try Zterm 0.8, which is available widely.  It supports XModem, YModem, Zmodem, and
>I think Kermit, though I'm not sure.  You will need the programs sz and rz for the
                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>VAX, but I think that they're widely available as well.  As long as you don't do
>too much intensive disk I/O or print anything out, it works fine in the background.

Sorry, that was unclear.  I mean you will need sz and rz, assuming that you want
to send/recieve files via ZModem.  I'd recommend that you do for the following
reasons:
o	It's fast.  I mean, really.  It runs at something over 95% efficiency, by
virtue of not waiting for confirmation signals like XModem, and using large
packets.  It only resends a block if the receiving machine detects an error, and
if it gets lots of errors, it shrinks the packet size to increase efficiency.
o	You can resume a transfer.  That's right;  if you get some sort of nasty
line noise, etc, you can abort a transfer and try it again later.  It will pick up
where it left off.  (Awfully nice for those of us who've had 195k files die on the
last 5K using XModem at 1200 baud :-<)
o	It's cheap.  I don't remember offhand what the shareware fee is, but it's
reasonable!

>Disclaimer:  I think that disclaimers are an incredibly sad statement about our
>society.  Nonetheless, nothing I say here can or shold be construed as having been
						  ^^^^^
>said by anyone.  Ever.

"should" obviously...

--Mike

Disclaimer:  I think that disclaimers are an incredibly sad statement about our
society.  Nonetheless, nothing I say here can or should be construed as having been
said by anyone.  Ever.