[comp.sys.mac] another HD40 bites the dust

bgwilkes@cognito.Princeton.EDU (Ben Wilkes) (08/18/89)

"Aww," I groaned sympathetically, "look at all those poor people who bought
SE/30's, only to have the 40 Meg. hard drive refuse to spin up one fine day
shortly after the warranty expired."

"Maybe I ought to take down those affected serial numbers, and the advice of
people who have been kind enough to post their experiences to the net...Naw,
my drive works fine," I thought, "and I'm getting backup software one of these
days...and I take such good care of my Mac..."

Well, you guessed it: after booting perfectly the first every time, including
the first two today, my SE/30 hard drive refused to spin up tonight.  The drive
light flickers once, you can hear the rpms start to climb, but it fails and
the "please insert disk" icon comes up.  Boots fine from floppy but wont recog-
nize the HD40.  I may just BARELY still be under warranty, but in the interest
of saving my files, what have other people done (bang on case, tilt machine,
etc.) which has gotten their moribundhard drive to respond?  Drastic action
may be called for here.  Also, has Apple extended the warranty on these drives?

Sorry to revive the thread, but this is inexcusable in a 3-month old
computer and I need to know all my options.

Thanks for your patience and any advice that you can offer,

Ben Wilkes
bgwilkes@confidence.princeton.edu

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (08/19/89)

In article <9984@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> bgwilkes@cognito.Princeton.EDU (Ben Wilkes) writes:

>Well, you guessed it: after booting perfectly the first every time, including
>the first two today, my SE/30 hard drive refused to spin up tonight.  The drive
>light flickers once, you can hear the rpms start to climb, but it fails and
>the "please insert disk" icon comes up.  Boots fine from floppy but wont recog-
>nize the HD40.  I may just BARELY still be under warranty, but in the interest
>of saving my files, what have other people done (bang on case, tilt machine,
>etc.) which has gotten their moribundhard drive to respond?  Drastic action
>may be called for here.  Also, has Apple extended the warranty on these drives?

The serial numbers are, I believe 335507 to 1023016.  Check with your dealer. Also,
apple has extended the warranty on drives with these numbers into mid-1990.

--Mike

Disclaimer:  I think that disclaimers are an incredibly sad statement about our
society.  Nonetheless, nothing I say here can or should be construed as having been
said by anyone.  Ever.

spector@brillig.umd.edu (Lee Spector) (08/21/89)

In article <9984@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> bgwilkes@cognito.Princeton.EDU (Ben Wilkes) writes:

>Well, you guessed it: after booting perfectly the first every time, including
>the first two today, my SE/30 hard drive refused to spin up tonight...
>[stuff deleted] what have other people done (bang on case, tilt machine,
>etc.) which has gotten their moribundhard drive to respond?

Try booting while holding down command AND option.  I have no idea what this
does (if anyone else knows PLEASE POST!) but it has worked for me.  Mine is
actually an HD80, so perhaps the problem is different... This is my second
one - my first one lasted about a month before developing intermittent boot
problems.  I got it replaced and now my new one (less than 2 weeks old) is
also flaking out.  My repair guy suggested the command-option boot trick,
but I don't think he knew why it worked... I had planned on staying under
applecare, so I'm not too bummed about the failures, but at this rate of
failure I hardly have time to load stuff back on the new drive before
I have to take it in to be replaced!  Something is obviously very wrong...
  - Lee (spector@brillig.umd.edu)

kovar@popvax.harvard.edu (David C. Kovar) (08/21/89)

In article <19180@mimsy.UUCP> spector@brillig.umd.edu.UUCP (Lee Spector) writes:
>In article <9984@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> bgwilkes@cognito.Princeton.EDU (Ben Wilkes) writes:
>>
>>Well, you guessed it: after booting perfectly the first every time, including
>>the first two today, my SE/30 hard drive refused to spin up tonight...
>>[stuff deleted] what have other people done (bang on case, tilt machine,
>>etc.) which has gotten their moribundhard drive to respond?
>
>Try booting while holding down command AND option.  I have no idea what this
>does (if anyone else knows PLEASE POST!) but it has worked for me.
  Command-Option on boot rebuilds the desktop. I'm sort of surprised it
helped with a disk that refused to spin up.

  For the record my SE/30's disk went last night for the second time. It
refused to boot the day I got it. When I took it in, they determined that
the logic board was faulty and replaced it. After reading all these
horror stories about disks dying I backed up my disk on Saturday afternoon.
Saturday night it refused to boot. (Actually, it finally did about two
hours later.) So it's back in the shop.

  I htink we should stop posting stories about disks dying. It's like
a rash of teenage suicides - they start cascading. Just think, YOUR SE/30
just saw this article and thought "Well, if this guy's disk can do it, so
can I!" (I refuse to accept liability, by the by.)

-David C. Kovar
	Technical Consultant			ARPA: kovar@popvax.harvard.edu
	Office of Information Technology	BITNET: corwin@harvarda.bitnet
	Harvard University			MacNET: DKovar
						Ma Bell: 617-732-1778

"It is easier to get forgiveness than permission."