#! rnews 1683lis,lk!tgate!zardoz!uci-ics!orion.cf.uci.edu!ucsd!network!sdcsvax!ucsdhub!hp-sdd!hplabs!hpfcdc!rjn
From: rjn@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Bob Nil

vbob@umd5.umd.edu (Bob Shields) (08/11/89)

In article <18981.24E12EE5@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG> David.Bolducwrites:
>Tried this weekend to use an HP DeskWriter on a Mac IIcx, 5 meg, Apple 80
>meg HD. Worked great except for one problem - printing from Zedcor's
>DeskPaint bombed every time with an ID=10 message. Anyone else have the
>samer problem or know of a solution? BTW, System was 6.0.3, and the
>DeskWriter prints just fine with DeskPaint's companion, DeskDraw.
>
>--
>David Bolduc via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH

I also have purchased the HP DeskWriter and am generally pleased with the
results, but I've found a few "bugs" also.  MS Word 3.1 prints left-justified
text correctly, but text that is right-justified, or positioned by a tab stop
gets printed approximately 1/8 inch to the right.  This error is cumulative,
so the text following a fourth tab column is a full inch to the right.  I
tried the same test with MacWrite and it outputs correctly.  The print
dialog in MS Word also obliterates the DeskWriter "Best|Faster" buttons and
the "Back to Font" checkbox.  Has anyone tried MS Word 4.0 with a DeskWriter?

Another problem I have is that every program I have written with THINK C
which prints fails during the "PrPicFile" function with the dialog box
indicating there is not enough memory available to use the driver's outline
font descriptions (even though my programs are only 40-60K in size running
under Finder with System 6.0.3 and I have 2.5Mb of RAM).  Since the
THINK C compiler itself prints files just fine, I wonder if there is some
magic command I must issue to get these programs to work?  Any suggestions
would be appreciated.

stevem@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Steve Miller) (08/15/89)

/ hpvcfs1:comp.sys.mac / vbob@umd5.umd.edu (Bob Shields) /  1:40 pm  Aug 10, 1989 /
In article <18981.24E12EE5@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG> David.Bolducwrites:
>Tried this weekend to use an HP DeskWriter on a Mac IIcx, 5 meg, Apple 80
>meg HD. Worked great except for one problem - printing from Zedcor's
>DeskPaint bombed every time with an ID=10 message. Anyone else have the
>samer problem or know of a solution? BTW, System was 6.0.3, and the
>DeskWriter prints just fine with DeskPaint's companion, DeskDraw.
>
>--
>David Bolduc via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH

I also have purchased the HP DeskWriter and am generally pleased with the
results, but I've found a few "bugs" also.  MS Word 3.1 prints left-justified
text correctly, but text that is right-justified, or positioned by a tab stop
gets printed approximately 1/8 inch to the right.  This error is cumulative,
so the text following a fourth tab column is a full inch to the right.  I
tried the same test with MacWrite and it outputs correctly.  The print
dialog in MS Word also obliterates the DeskWriter "Best|Faster" buttons and
the "Back to Font" checkbox.  Has anyone tried MS Word 4.0 with a DeskWriter?

Another problem I have is that every program I have written with THINK C
which prints fails during the "PrPicFile" function with the dialog box
indicating there is not enough memory available to use the driver's outline
font descriptions (even though my programs are only 40-60K in size running
under Finder with System 6.0.3 and I have 2.5Mb of RAM).  Since the
THINK C compiler itself prints files just fine, I wonder if there is some
magic command I must issue to get these programs to work?  Any suggestions
would be appreciated.
----------

rickk@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Rick Klaus) (08/17/89)

     I know that I probably shouldn't post this, but this problem has come
up several times recently...

     DeskWriter currently has a problem when printing with DeskPaint from
Zedcor.  This is caused by Zedcor passing an unlocked handle to the printer
driver (any driver, not just DeskWriter).  The problem occurs because the
DeskWriter driver requests that the system clean up memory before it prints.
The system complies and very neatly trashes the unlocked handle.  It is not
possible to remove the request from the DW driver, since performance is
HIGHLY dependent on available memory.  Zedcor probably needs to lock the
handle before passing it to the driver.  To get around the problem, you
can use ResEdit to modify the DeskPaint DA and application.  Simply open
the file(s), find the Tprt resource (only one is present) and Get Info about
this resource.  The purgeable bit will be set... turn it off.  Save the file
and this should fix the bombing problem.

     Be sure to work only on a copy of the Zedcor files.  Perform this
modification at your own risk.  It has not been extensively tested to determine
if any nasty side effects occur.  Some testing seems to indicate that the
problem is fixed, but again, THIS IS NOT A SUPPORTED FIX by either HP or
Zedcor.

Disclaimer: I do work for HP and I did work on DeskWriter.  However, these
modifications are not endorsed by HP (have I said that enough?! :-).

Rick Klaus
hplabs!hpvcfs1!rickk

David.Bolduc@f54.n382.z1.FIDONET.ORG (David Bolduc) (08/21/89)

Thanks for the tip on DeskPaint's passing an unlocked handle. Any chance
Zedcor will fix this? (I've run into the problem you describe on my
father's setup - and while he trusts me, there's NO WAY he'll let me fix
it with ResEdit.

--
David Bolduc via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!382!54!David.Bolduc