[comp.sys.mac] Serial numbers of SE/30 40 and 80 Drives that Apple will replace?

cyosta@taux01.UUCP ( Yossie Silverman ) (08/15/89)

What are those serial number ranges?  I have a bad 80 in my SE/30.  I wonder
if it is in that range.  The amazing thing is that I can make the drive
startup always by turning on the mac while it is laying on its face.  Lately
the drive will NOT spin up unless I place the mac on its face first at all!
All you people that have this problem and would like to spin up at least once
in order to backup the drive, try turning on the mac while it is in a position
other than upright.  Once the drive is spun up, it should remain so for a
while at least and you can reorient the mac (carefully) without noticeble
problems.  - Yossie
--
Yossie Silverman                                   What did the Caspian sea?
National Semiconductor Ltd. (Israel)

peggyl@ashtate.UUCP (Peggy Lerch) (08/16/89)

From article <2363@taux01.UUCP>, by cyosta@taux01.UUCP ( Yossie Silverman ):
> What are those serial number ranges?  I have a bad 80 in my SE/30.  I wonder
> if it is in that range.
> --
> Yossie Silverman                                   What did the Caspian sea?
> National Semiconductor Ltd. (Israel)
> cyosta%taux01@nsc.nsc.COM         or        RPR1YOS@TECHNION.BITNET
> NSA LSD FBI KGB PCP CIA MOSAD NUCLEAR MI5 SPY ASSASSINATE SDI -- OOLCAY ITAY

According to the September issue of MacWorld the serial numbers are from
335507 to 1023016.  "Users of failed drives with serial numbers in that
range will receive another hard disk free through June of 1990, according
to Apple.  The company will also reimburse customers who have already
paid for repairs."  It says to contact your dealer for more information.

Peggy Lerch

mha@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) (08/20/89)

In article <2363@taux01.UUCP> cyosta%taux01@nsc.nsc.COM ( Yossie Silverman ) writes:
>What are those serial number ranges?  I have a bad 80 in my SE/30.  I wonder
>if it is in that range.  The amazing thing is that I can make the drive
>startup always by turning on the mac while it is laying on its face.  Lately
>the drive will NOT spin up unless I place the mac on its face first at all!
>All you people that have this problem and would like to spin up at least once
>in order to backup the drive, try turning on the mac while it is in a position
>other than upright.

Physics tells us that spinning objects tend to keep spinning in the same
plane.  Because of this, tilting a spinning object, especially a rapidly
spinning one, is difficult.  My high school physics teacher, all those
years ago, illustrated this by having a student hold a bicycle wheel, which
he set to spinning.  The student, instructed to tilt the wheel so it was
horizontal, was always astounded at how much effort it took.

As a corollary, successfully tilting a rapidly spinning object can create
an imbalance, even if temporary, in its spin.  One of the best reasons NOT
to move a computer with an internal hard drive, or an external hard drive
by itself, is that changing the plane of spin can cause enough imbalance
that the spinning platter can physically collide with the head, causing
extensive damage to the disk, and the possibility of total loss of data.

Are you sure that's what you want to risk by turning your Mac on its front
and starting it up, then tilting it to the upright position?  You may well
have a better chance of recovering your data by bringing the drive to your
dealer and asking them to recover whatever's still there before replacing
the drive.

--
Mark H. Anbinder        ************************** mha@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu
BAKA Industries                                 ** (cornell!)biar!memory!mha

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (08/22/89)

In article <704@ashtate.UUCP> peggyl@ashtate.UUCP (Peggy Lerch) writes:
>From article <2363@taux01.UUCP>, by cyosta@taux01.UUCP ( Yossie Silverman ):
>> What are those serial number ranges?  I have a bad 80 in my SE/30.  I wonder
>> if it is in that range.
>According to the September issue of MacWorld the serial numbers are from
>335507 to 1023016.  "Users of failed drives with serial numbers in that
>range will receive another hard disk free through June of 1990, according
>to Apple.  The company will also reimburse customers who have already
>paid for repairs."  It says to contact your dealer for more information.

Except that it refers to the Apple 40MB 40SC drives with those numbers -- it
doesn't say anything about the 80 Meg drives.

                        TOP TEN DEMANDS OF STRIKING TELEPHONE WORKERS:

                            #3: Authorization to say "Look it up yourself,
                                you lazy sack of krud."
                                           -- Late Night with David Letterman
---
                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, hplsla, thebes, microsoft}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

magik@chinet.chi.il.us (Ben Liberman) (08/22/89)

>In article <704@ashtate.UUCP> peggyl@ashtate.UUCP (Peggy Lerch) writes:
>>According to the September issue of MacWorld the serial numbers are from
>>335507 to 1023016.  "Users of failed drives with serial numbers in that
>>range will receive another hard disk free through June of 1990, according
>>to Apple.  The company will also reimburse customers who have already
>>paid for repairs."  It says to contact your dealer for more information.

I just got my SE/30 back from the shop.  For 5 consecutive days the HD
wouldn't boot until I turned it off once and then back on.

When I brought it in I specifically told them that it was an intermittent
boot problem when the machine was cold, so what do they do?

"We burned it in for 5 hours and ran a full set of diagnostices on it.  It's OK"
The the dealer said "you have a Quantum drive, the recall was on Segates".
...so I asked him to take it back to the tech, have him open the case,
and write the serial number on the reciept.  The number was 40808030093.
Is this the part number instead of the serial number?  (I really don't
want to open it while it's still under warranty.)

I looked at the MacWeek article (13th of June) but there is no mention of
the make of drive, so I can't point to that when I go back.

Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get this settled before my
40 meg. goes down for the last time?

Thanks in advance,
--
	Ben Liberman    USENET         magik@chinet.chi.il.us