[comp.sys.mac] Opinions requested about network configuration

ccw@nvuxr.UUCP (christopher wood) (08/22/89)

In article <29920@mirror.UUCP> kiyun@prism.TMC.COM (KiYun Roe) writes:

>I have a friend who is setting up a proposal to overhaul his company's
>Macintosh network.  The existing configuration is something like this:

( about 75 macs, 8 LW, two Mac II servers)
>The main problem he would like to correct is the long time
>it takes to save a file onto a file server -- it takes a minute or so
>to save relatively small (< 25k) files.  However, he is also taking
>this opportunity to upgrade the system in general.  He is proposing to
>bring all the II's up to 5Mb with hard disks, to install Ethernet
>boards on all the machines, and to replace the two servers with a
>single 386 server running Novell NetWare for the Macintosh.
>
>I'd like to hear some comments about this from the net population.  In
>particular
>
>1.  Any idea why it takes so long to save files onto the file server?
>2.  Is EtherTalk worth the expense for this application?
>3.  How good/bad is NetWare?
>
>These are all the facts I have on hand.  If you need more specific
>information, I can get back to you.
>
>----
>KiYun Roe	kiyun@mirror.TMC.COM
>	{mit-eddie, pyramid, harvard!wjh12, xait, datacube}!mirror!kiyun

In one installation at Bellcore, we have approx. 50 macs (mostly IIs and
SEs) using a server and two laserWriters.  If you put the Mac II servers
directly on ethernet, they go fast.  about 2/3rds the speed of internal
hard disk ( i.e. 1.5 times longer to save, etc)  So I'd go with the
ethernet, but not bother with the Novell and the '386s.  I have no
experience with NetWare; I'm just satisfied with AppleShare on a Mac II
over EtherTalk.

Chris Wood     Bellcore     ...!bellcore!nvuxr!ccw
                         or nvuxr!ccw@bellcore.bellcore.com

hit 'n' now...