[comp.sys.mac] RTFM revisited

dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) (08/22/89)

In article <mumble> someone writes:

>If you would have taken two minutes to Read The F*cking Manual (RTFM)
>you would have noticed something called "Easy access". Apart from acting
>It is a standard part of Sys 6, and is an Apple Acclaimed INIT (Works

Y'know, I see a lot of this on the net.  I left the names out because
I don't want to pick on anyone in particular; this is just the most
recent example.

I bought my Mac when it was 128K (that's RAM, not ROM).  I upgraded to
a Fat Mac and later to a Mac+.

I have upgraded my System also, originally through free upgrades
(System upgrades are still free, aren't they?), most recently through
versions of the System that came with legally purchased software.

Guess what?  None of my (original) Mac manuals even mentions System 6.
I've never purchased new manuals because I seriously doubt that there
is much in them that I don't already know (aside from things like Easy
Access, which I don't need to know).

Now, in general I have to wonder about people who have software but
not the manuals that it comes with.  But folks, that logic doesn't
apply to the System!  And I'm getting just a little tired of flames
from johnny-come-latelies who assume *everyone* has all the manuals
for the *latest and greatest* System.  So think before you flame, OK?

[BTW, if you think everyone really needs these manuals, I'll be glad
to provide my address so you can send me a set.]

Just my $0.02.

-- Dave Matuszek (dave@prc.unisys.com)
-- Unisys Corp. / Paoli Research Center / PO Box 517 / Paoli PA  19301
-- Any resemblance between my opinions and those of my employer is improbable.
Remember, too, that 1989 is the 17th anniversary of the LAST man on the moon.