[comp.sys.mac] Problem with BackDrop 2.16 and GateKeeper 1.1.1

talent@dover.sps.mot.com (Steve Talent) (08/19/89)

I just put GateKeeper 1.1.1 in my system folder and tried to
restart.  My Mac crashed after loading several INITs.

My first guess was to remove BackDrop ... it worked.

System:  Mac+, 2048K, Version 6.0.3, Multifinder
INITs:  GateKeeper, AutoIdle 1.0a10, Shield 1.02 (Symantec Utilities)

I really liked having BackDrop (two point sixteen) but I feel having
GateKeeper is more important.  BackDrop replaces the gray desktop pattern
with a StartupScreen type bitmap image.

Is there a newer version of BackDrop?  ...something else that will do
the same thing? ...or could it be that BackDrop really isn't the problem?

--
Steve Talent, Motorola Semiconductor Products Sector CAD
Mesa, AZ  602-994-6801,  ...!{oakhill, sun!sunburn, uunet}!dover!talent

chrisj@ut-emx.UUCP (Chris Johnson) (08/20/89)

In article <1700@dover.sps.mot.com> talent@dover.sps.mot.com.UUCP (Steve Talent) writes:
>I just put GateKeeper 1.1.1 in my system folder and tried to
>restart.  My Mac crashed after loading several INITs.
>
>My first guess was to remove BackDrop ... it worked.
>
>System:  Mac+, 2048K, Version 6.0.3, Multifinder
>INITs:  GateKeeper, AutoIdle 1.0a10, Shield 1.02 (Symantec Utilities)
>
>I really liked having BackDrop (two point sixteen) but I feel having
>GateKeeper is more important.  BackDrop replaces the gray desktop pattern
>with a StartupScreen type bitmap image.
>
>Is there a newer version of BackDrop?  ...something else that will do
>the same thing? ...or could it be that BackDrop really isn't the problem?
>

>--
>Steve Talent, Motorola Semiconductor Products Sector CAD
>Mesa, AZ  602-994-6801,  ...!{oakhill, sun!sunburn, uunet}!dover!talent

This is the first mention I've heard of any INIT that will cause GateKeeper
1.1.1 problems on startup.  What I'd suggest is doing the following:

1) Go to GateKeeper in the Control Panel.
2) Click on the Info/Settings slide switch to get to the settings section
3) In the "When Attacked:" area, click on the "Notify Only" radio button.
4) Close the Control Panel
5) Put BackDrop back into your System Folder
6) Reboot and see what happens.  There are two possibilities:
   a) BackDrop will install properly and, when you get to the Finder, you'll
      receive warnings of privilege violations caused by BackDrop.  Just
      grant BackDrop whatever privileges are listed and put GateKeeper back
      in "Notify & Veto" mode.  Everything should behave normally from now on.
      Please let me know what privileges it needed, so I can add them to the
      default privilege list.
   b) BackDrop will continue to crash on startup.  If this is the case, there's
      some kind of fundamental incompatibility... let me know about it.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
----Chris (Johnson)
----Author of GateKeeper

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) (08/21/89)

In article <1700@dover.sps.mot.com> talent@dover.sps.mot.com.UUCP (Steve Talent) writes:
#>I really liked having BackDrop (two point sixteen) but I feel having
#>GateKeeper is more important.  BackDrop replaces the gray desktop pattern
#>with a StartupScreen type bitmap image.

#>Is there a newer version of BackDrop?  ...something else that will do
#>the same thing? ...or could it be that BackDrop really isn't the problem?

#>Steve Talent, Motorola Semiconductor Products Sector CAD

Try adding BackDrop to the privileged section in GateKeeper.
If you go to the control panel and click on GateKeeper and
then choose Settings, you should see a window in the lower
left of programs given privileges by GateKeeper, which means
that it will let them operate without interference. Just be
sure you know such programs are virus-free. (I learned this
lesson through bitter experience with StuffIt and an earlier
version of GateKeeper which didn't allow such privileges.)

Steve Goldfield

pem@cadnetix.COM (Paul Meyer) (08/22/89)

In article <1700@dover.sps.mot.com> talent@dover.sps.mot.com.UUCP (Steve Talent) writes:
>I just put GateKeeper 1.1.1 in my system folder and tried to
>restart.  My Mac crashed after loading several INITs.
>
>My first guess was to remove BackDrop ... it worked.
>
>System:  Mac+, 2048K, Version 6.0.3, Multifinder
>INITs:  GateKeeper, AutoIdle 1.0a10, Shield 1.02 (Symantec Utilities)

I use GateKeeper 1.1.1 and Backdrop together all the time, along with
the older Shield (Symantec never sent the upgrade..(clear throat)) and
Moire and hierDA and lots of other inits, not including AutoIdle.  Perhaps
it is the threesome that did it?

(Mac SE, System 6.0.2, 2.5M, Multifinder)

Paul Meyer                      pem@cadnetix.COM
Daisy/Cadnetix Inc. (DAZIX)	{uunet,boulder}!cadnetix!pem
5775 Flatirons Pkwy.            GEnie P.MEYER
Boulder, CO 80301               (303)444-8075x277