[comp.sys.mac] Postscript vs. non-Postscript Printer???

bend@fez.Sun.COM (ben dubin) (08/22/89)

Hi,

I am thinking about buying a laser printer. The only applications I
will be using it for are word processing (Word 3.0.1), Drawing
(MacDraw 1.9.5), and spreadsheets (Excel 1.5). I am thinking about
purchasing Apple LaserWriter II SC (with the option of later upgrading
to a NX). Any comments on this? Some questions I have include:

1) How will a non-Postscript printer fit into the proposed 7.0
operating system?

2) How is Quick-draw vs. PostScript for the above applications? Will
the SC look professional?

3) Can the SC be upgraded memory-wise? Can additional memory be added
when it is upgraded to a NX?

3.5) Do you have a SC? If so, I would like to here your experences
with it.

4) I will be selling an ImageWriter II (only used for a couple of
months).  Any idea of a good price to sell it for?

If there is interest, I will sumerize and post to the net.

Thanks in advance!

Ben Dubin.

----
Ben Dubin                                       bend@Sun.COM
Sun Microsystems, Inc.                          ...!sun!bend
Mountain View, CA
                                __
                               /  )
                              /--<  _   _
                             /___/_</_/ /_

casseres@apple.com (David Casseres) (08/23/89)

In article <122864@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> bend@fez.Sun.COM (ben dubin) writes:
> I am thinking about buying a laser printer. The only applications I
> will be using it for are word processing (Word 3.0.1), Drawing
> (MacDraw 1.9.5), and spreadsheets (Excel 1.5). I am thinking about
> purchasing Apple LaserWriter II SC (with the option of later upgrading
> to a NX). Any comments on this? Some questions I have include:
>
> 1) How will a non-Postscript printer fit into the proposed 7.0
> operating system?

Beautifully.  The outline-fonts capability of 7.0 will give non-Postscript
printers full typographical versatility and make them fully competitive
with Postscript printers for text-oriented material.

> 2) How is Quick-draw vs. PostScript for the above applications? Will
> the SC look professional?

Output from the SC with the Word 3.0.1 and Excel looks as professional as
output from the Postscript printers.  Output from MacDraw 1.9.5 has one
problem: filled-in polygons are slightly ragged around the edges.  MacDraw
II doesn't have this problem.

With the Microsoft applications there is a different kind of glitch:  you
have to hold the shift key down in order to get the Page Layout and Print
dialogs that belong to the LaserWriter IISC, so you can control its
features; but then to actually print you must use Microsoft's Print dialog
(no shift key).

> 3) Can the SC be upgraded memory-wise? Can additional memory be added
> when it is upgraded to a NX?

The upgrade to an NT or  NTX consists of removing the SC controller board
and plugging in an NT or  NTX board.  Once this is done, the printer IS an
NT or NTX, as all parts except the controller board are identical.

> 3.5) Do you have a SC? If so, I would like to here your experences
> with it.

I have one, but I'm not impartial, as I was involved in developing it.  I
have the SC in my office and am on a network with a spooled NT, and I find
that the only time I ever use the NT is when I'm dealing with gray-scaled
images or with Postscript-oriented applications such as Illustrator.  For
most of the printing I do (word-processor documents, electronic mail, and
source code) the SC is noticeably faster than the NT.  I can't wait for
7.0, so I can use something besides Times, Helvetica, and Courier.

David Casseres

Exclaimer:  Hey!