[comp.sys.mac] Info on Mac TCP/IP wanted

taylor@limbo.intuitive.com (Dave Taylor) (08/23/89)

I am interested in finding out further information about how to hook
up a Macintosh (Mac II) to a TCP/IP network.  The purpose is to allow
the Mac to be an X Server (a la White Pines eXodus) talking to an HP
9000 system...

Ideally, since I'll be wiring the two together and it will be a couple
of dozen feet of new wire, I'd like to run ThinLan -- is that supported
for the Mac?

Am I constrained to purchasing a LAN board from Apple?  etc etc..

	Thanks for whatever help you can offer: via email please!

						-- Dave Taylor
Intuitive Systems
San Francisco CA				taylor@limbo.intuitive.com
		{ apple, decwrl } !limbo!taylor

kdb@intercon.uu.net (Kurt Baumann) (08/23/89)

In article <13273@well.UUCP>, taylor@limbo.intuitive.com (Dave Taylor) writes:
> I am interested in finding out further information about how to hook
> up a Macintosh (Mac II) to a TCP/IP network.  The purpose is to allow
> the Mac to be an X Server (a la White Pines eXodus) talking to an HP
> 9000 system...
>
> Ideally, since I'll be wiring the two together and it will be a couple
> of dozen feet of new wire, I'd like to run ThinLan -- is that supported
> for the Mac?

Yes, most boards allow ThinNet.  You should have no problem doing this.

> Am I constrained to purchasing a LAN board from Apple?  etc etc..

No, you do not need to purchase a board from Apple.  The nice thing about
TCP/IP on the Mac, is that there is very little incompatability problems
amongst the various ethernet boards and software.
--
Kurt Baumann

InterCon Systems Corporation
46950 Community Plaza
Suite 101-132
Sterling, VA 22170                      Phone: 703.450.7117