[comp.sys.mac] What makes the Macintosh different

geoff@pmafire.UUCP (Geoff Allen) (08/23/89)

In article <34192@apple.Apple.COM> bnfb@Apple.COM (Bjorn Freeman-Benson) writes:
>Ah, so according to Jon, Macs are now like IBMs: you must read the
><rude word> manual to learn how to use it.  Come on people, this is
>the Mac, we don't read manuals.  We shouldn't have to read manuals.
>And if even if this fellow had read the manual, it would have taken
>more than two minutes to find that little detail about Easy Access.
>
>	    "Macintosh" implies "No manuals!"
>		Bjorn N. Freeman-Benson

This and a mini-discussion of Apple's fondness for "desktop everything,"
stirs up a little peeve I have with Apple's advertising.

I recently got the "Apple D*top Media" video.  My thought after seeing
it was, "so what."  Are we supposed to think that you can't use one of
those (shudder) IBM thingies to scan in a sketch, do some CAD, and make
some overheads?  Come on, get realistic!  I don't recall one of the
technologies featured in the video that couldn't be done on a PC.  Why
does Apple advertise like this?  They should emphasize what makes the
Macintosh different.

For that, see the above quote.

So, come on Apple.  Cut the "desktop" garbage and get to the real reason
people use Macs -- power that's easy to use.

Thanks for letting me sound off.

--
Geoff Allen - WINCO Computer Process Engineering
...{uunet|bigtex}!pmafire!geoff  |  Disclaimer:  WINCO doesn't believe in Macs,

ra_bt@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (08/23/89)

In article <720@pmafire.UUCP>, geoff@pmafire.UUCP (Geoff Allen) writes...

>This and a mini-discussion of Apple's fondness for "desktop everything,"
>stirs up a little peeve I have with Apple's advertising.
>
>I recently got the "Apple D*top Media" video.  My thought after seeing
>it was, "so what."  Are we supposed to think that you can't use one of
>those (shudder) IBM thingies to scan in a sketch, do some CAD, and make
>some overheads?  Come on, get realistic!  I don't recall one of the
>technologies featured in the video that couldn't be done on a PC.  Why
>does Apple advertise like this?  They should emphasize what makes the
>Macintosh different.

..along those lines,  at the first Apple "Technology Extravaganza" at
the MacWorld Expo,  a video was shown about mouse technology, and various
jabs were made at IBM's PS/2 mice.  The "clincher" was at the end of the
video, when the PS/2 mouse was flipped over, and it clearly read
"Made In Japan"  A bunch of people in the auditorium got a hearty chuckle.
C'mon Apple, "Made In Japan" is a reason why IBM mice aren't as good?
I flip over my Mac IIx mouse right here and it reads "Made In Taiwan"

*** flame off ***
				Bill Tsang
				ra_bt@gsbacd.uchicago.edu