[comp.sys.mac] Mail Order

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (01/12/88)

In article <6340007@nucsrl.UUCP> cimeti@nucsrl.UUCP (Israel Cimet) writes:
>   Here is a plug for the "Savings Zone" [...]
>
>I have ordered from them and from MacConnection and have no
>complaints so far.

I, too, tend to order from Connection first, and if they don't have it, the
Zone -- the Zone's selection is larger.  They have been extremely friendly
each time I've ordered; however, I have had problems with their shipping
around Christmas.  They corrected the problem extremely pleasantly and
quickly (phoned updates every couple of hours! (of course, they're 25 miles
away -- I imagine I could have driven over there...)), but I've heard of
this happening before.

They used to have real problems, but under their new management, they've
become a pretty consistent company to buy from.  And it seems Programs Plus
is improving, too.  What gives?  They just needed a little while to age
correctly?

                            "Holy jumping Mother O' God in a sidecar with
                             chocolate Jimmies and a Lobster Bib!"

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, hplsla, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

Mike_G_Newman@cup.portal.com (08/22/89)

Regular readers of this newsgroup will recall my effort last year
to 'train' Microsoft and Symantec on how to deliver products to
customers who do not have access to UPS.  At that time I
introduced these firms to the magic of the United States Postal
Service, and official agency of the United States Government,
which, for the last several decades, has demonstrated an almost
uncanny ability to deliver parcels weighing up to 70 pounds to
virtually every US ZIP Code address, including PO Boxes and
APO/FPO addresses.  In due course, and after no small amount of
correspondence, I received Word 4.0 from Microsoft and Think
Pascal 2.0 from Symantec.

Well, imagine my horror when the 'new' APDA refused to send me
KanjiTalk 6.0.2 because I was unable to supply them with a
'street' address for UPS delivery.  (The island on which I live,
Saipan, has virtually no named streets and almost no house
numbers.  Interestingly enough, the only houses with numbers,
built by the CIA in the 50's, are located on streets with no
names....)

Well, I went into training mode again and finally convinced APDA
to send me KanjiTalk via US mail.  And, I am now proud to announce
that the 'new' APDA has joined the fold and officially recognizes
that some folks just don't have access to UPS.  Their new catalog,
on page C-98, announces that they will 'use First Class U.S. Mail
for deliveries to all APOs, FPOs, and PO Boxes'.  Thank you, APDA!
Welcome to the club!

Before I close, an aside and an irony.

First the aside:  When APDA shipped me KanjiTalk via US Mail, they
still addressed the package to the fictitious 'street' address
that I gave them.  However, to cover all bases, they affixed a
sticker to the package that read, 'Ordered by Mike Newman, P.O.
Box 1510, Saipan MP 96950'.  The package was delivered to that
P.O. Box.

And now, the irony:  As I write these words, UPS is preparing to
offer package delivery to the island of Saipan.  All of us who
live here are wondering how they will cope with the lack of street
addresses.  (The best I could do would be something like: Mike
Newman, Green Wooden House with White Aluminum Roof, Terminal Road
[AKA Afetna Road], Afetna Area, San Antonio Village, Saipan,
Northern Mariana Islands.)  Anyway, thanks to UPS for dragging us
into the last decade of the century, and good luck...!

+-------------------------------+--------------------------------+
|   Mike G Newman               |  mike_g_newman@cup.portal.com  |
|   BX 1510                     |  MCI:   mnewman                |
|   Saipan MP 96950             |  Phone: 670-234-7726           |
+-------------------------------+--------------------------------+

geoff@pmafire.UUCP (Geoff Allen) (08/23/89)

In article <21515@cup.portal.com> Mike_G_Newman@cup.portal.com writes:
>UPS is preparing to
>offer package delivery to the island of Saipan.  All of us who
>live here are wondering how they will cope with the lack of street
>addresses.

My parents live in Albion, Idaho (popluation 289 - 'sa-lute!') and their
"street address" is "head south out of town, turn right when you get to
the Perrys', turn left at Cuna's, go past the Kelly's, turn right like
you're going to the Clarks'.  It's the house on the corner."  They get
UPS deliveries regularly.  The UPS driver just knows where everybody in
town lives.  I don't know how big Saipan is, but this is one
possibility.

(It's lots of fun to order things and just give a P.O. Box.  When the
order clerk asks for a street address so they can send to a street
address, it takes a lot of talking to convince them that, in this case,
UPS really will ship to P.O. Box 125, Albion, Idaho)

--
Geoff Allen - WINCO Computer Process Engineering
...{uunet|bigtex}!pmafire!geoff  |  Disclaimer: Any thoughts here are my own