[comp.sys.mac] Word annoyance

carter@PORTIA.STANFORD.EDU ("Thomas J. Carter") (08/23/89)

    I'm having a few problems with Word 4.0 which I can't solve and
Microsoft Tech Support didn't have any solution to.  The situation
is this:  I created some letterhead in Adobe and placed the postcript
into the header of a Word file.  This works great, but with two
major annoyances.

    First, Page View and Print Preview have become useless because
Word displays the postcript as if it were standard text, forcing all
my regular text all over the place.  Ideally I'd like to have the
postcript displayed in some semblance of what it will look like when
printed but I'd settle for allowing my text to appear where it will
when printed.

    Secondly, I followed the instructions in the manual about inserting
the translate command at the top of the postcript to have it positioned
properly on the page.  It said to use the numbers given after the
%%BoundingBox: part of the postcript.  Well that didn't even come close
to working so I counted pixels and got the coordinates right myself.
Everything was fine until I printed my document on a different printer.
Suddenly my letterhead was way out of position.  The two printers were
a Laserwriter IINT and an NTX.

    As usual, thanks in advance.  Any solutions or hacks will be greatly
appreciated.

Tom Carter
carter@portia.stanford.edu

esf00@uts.amdahl.com (Elliott S. Frank) (08/23/89)

In article <CMM.0.88.619833590.carter@portia.stanford.edu> carter@PORTIA.STANFORD.EDU ("Thomas J. Carter") writes:

>    I'm having a few problems with Word 4.0 which I can't solve and
>Microsoft Tech Support didn't have any solution to.  The situation
>is this:  I created some letterhead in Adobe and placed the postcript
>into the header of a Word file.  This works great, but with two
>major annoyances.
>
>    First, Page View and Print Preview have become useless because
>Word displays the postcript as if it were standard text, forcing all
>my regular text all over the place.  Ideally I'd like to have the
>postcript displayed in some semblance of what it will look like when
>printed but I'd settle for allowing my text to appear where it will
>when printed.

I don't have an answer to the second, but as to the first ... RTFM.
(__Menus__, for the flamers on the net!)

In the "Preferences ..." Dialog, there is a check box for "Show Hidden
Text."  Uncheck it. Since the Postscript style is Hidden Text, your
displays will return to Microsoft's WYSI(Almost)WYG.  If you have any
Postscript in your document that you are editing, you will end up
(like me) constantly setting and resetting this value.

BTW, if you're printing a letterhead, you may want to use the Section
option "First Page Special" and put your Postscript into the First
Header.  This will give you letterhead on your first page only.
--
Elliott Frank      ...!{hplabs,ames,sun}!amdahl!esf00     (408) 746-6384
               or ....!{bnrmtv,drivax,hoptoad}!amdahl!esf00

[the above opinions are strictly mine, if anyone's.]
[the above signature may or may not be repeated, depending upon some
inscrutable property of the mailer-of-the-week.]

jackd@copper.MDP.TEK.COM (Jack Decker) (08/23/89)

In article <CMM.0.88.619833590.carter@portia.stanford.edu> carter@PORTIA.STANFORD.EDU ("Thomas J. Carter") writes:

>I created some letterhead in Adobe and placed the postcript
>into the header of a Word file.  This works great, but with two
>major annoyances.

Have you tried copying the letterhead in Illustrater to the clipboard
(Command-Option-C) and then pasting the graphic in Word? Fiddling with
PostScript in Word is to be avoided.

jack decker
Tektronix
Beaverton, OR

"We're all doomed--but some of us are more doomed than others." RH