[comp.sys.mac] Changing Name Registration in Microsoft Products

thomas@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Thomas Summerall) (08/18/89)

Before I start I will say that I admire Microsoft's policy of not copy-
protecting its business software.  This is very professional and makes life
easier for a lot of people.

Now here is the weird thing.  What if you make a mistake when you are typing
in the name with which you register the program?  It is a confusing dialog
for beginner Mac users.  What if they don't know that <tab> sends them to the
next text rect?  What if they think <enter> does because they have used other
non mac computers in the past?  In fact, <enter> activates the OK button!
And this is exactly what happened to a woman who came in to our area today
wanting us to change her screwed up name.

How do you do this?  I can use FEdit or MacSnoop to find the name, but how
is it formatted?  Does anyone know?  It doesn't work if you just change the
letters.  I guess it's missing some delimiter, but I don't know what it wants.
Someone must have done this before...I'm sure it must happen all the time.

Microsoft refuses to support this, but I'm not quite sure why.  Registration
names have little to do with serial numbers.

Thanks...

Thomas Summerall
thomas@eleazar.dartmouth.edu

cm2n+@andrew.cmu.edu (Christopher A. Maloney) (08/18/89)

If you use a product like Fedit and choose the zero datafork option it
will give you the startup customization screen again.

I've only done this with Word 3.0 and some of the Claris Software but
I believe it should work in most cases.

Of course this should only be used in the case where you accidently
screwed up when typing your name and were running off of the Master
Disk instead of doing the sensible thing and making a copy of the
locked master before running it.

Chris Maloney
cm2n+@andrew.cmu.edu (ARPA)
r746cm2n@cmccvb(bitnet)

Disclaimer:
These opinions are mine and only mine.  You can't have them and
neither can my employer or my school. So there. NYAHHH.

garths%glass@Sun.COM (Garth Snyder) (08/18/89)

thomas@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Thomas Summerall) writes:

> How do you do this?  I can use FEdit or MacSnoop to find the name, but how
> is it formatted?  Does anyone know?  It doesn't work if you just change the
> letters.  I guess it's missing some delimiter, but I don't know what it wants.
> Someone must have done this before...I'm sure it must happen all the time.

Use your favorite file editor to set the logical length of the data
fork to zero.  The next time you start the program, you'll be asked to
re-enter your name.

Disclaimer: This is the way it works on my Microsoft products (Excel
1.04 and Word 3.01).  It may have changed since those programs were
released.  Other companies that have name registration use different
storage systems.

--------------------
Garth Snyder
Sun Microsystems, mail drop 14-40       ARPA: garths@eng.sun.com
2550 Garcia Avenue                      ALSO: garth@boulder.colorado.edu
Mountain View, CA  94043
--------------------

xdab@tank.uchicago.edu (David Baird) (08/18/89)

As long as you never start the program on the master disk from
Microsoft (or other companies) you can copy a new copy of the
program to the hard disk, or floppy, and then enter the correct
information when the "new" copy is started.

REMEMBER NEVER TO START A PROGRAM ON THE ORIGINAL DISK. ALWAYS
MAKE COPIES TO WORK WITH.

truesdel@ics.uci.edu (Scott Truesdell) (08/18/89)

thomas@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Thomas Summerall) writes:

>...What if you make a mistake when you are typing
>in the name with which you register the program? ...
>...And this is exactly what happened to a woman who came in to our area today
>wanting us to change her screwed up name.

>How do you do this?  I can use FEdit or MacSnoop to find the name, but how
>is it formatted?  Does anyone know?  It doesn't work if you just change the
>letters.  I guess it's missing some delimiter, but I don't know what it wants.
>Someone must have done this before...I'm sure it must happen all the time.

  The remedy is extremely simple, provided you have a legal copy along
  with the distribution diskettes as supplied by Microsoft.

     Make a new copy of the software from the original diskettes.

  If she has "installed" her name on the original diskettes, shame on
  whoever is supporting this person for not properly educating her on
  the importance of maintaining pristine original disks!

  --scott

--
Scott Truesdell

ack@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Andy J. Williams) (08/18/89)

In article <15075@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> thomas@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Thomas Summerall) writes:

> [ Someone's name gets mistyped in MS work peronalize-it dialog
>
>How do you do this?  I can use FEdit or MacSnoop to find the name, but how
>is it formatted?  Does anyone know?  It doesn't work if you just change the
>letters.  I guess it's missing some delimiter, but I don't know what it wants.
>Someone must have done this before...I'm sure it must happen all the time.

Well, under optimal circumstances, it wasn't the master disk.  You never
should use the master disk for anything other than keeping a new clean copy
out of the way so if you mistype the name, or lose it, or get a bad virus,
etc. you have a clean copy to replace it with.

However, It's been a while since I've done this, but I think there is
a length byte before each of the two lines.  (Don't quote me on this).

>Thomas Summerall
>thomas@eleazar.dartmouth.edu

-ajw

Andy J. Williams '90  |           <hello>           | ack@dartvax.dartmouth.edu
31 North Main Street  |  set $NAME='inigo_montoya'  |        Systems Programmer
Hanover NH, 03755     |     You kill -9 my ppid     | Kiewit Computation Center
603-643-2177          |        prepare to vi        |         Dartmouth College

rubinoff@linc.cis.upenn.edu (Robert Rubinoff) (08/19/89)

Why would anyone care if they spelled their name wrong?  All it does is
sit on the screen for a second when the program starts up; it doesn't ever
show up in anything permanent.

   Robert

gmw1@CUNIXD.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Gabe M Wiener) (08/19/89)

In article <13779@netnews.upenn.edu> rubinoff@linc.cis.upenn.edu (Robert Rubinoff) writes:
>Why would anyone care if they spelled their name wrong?  All it does is
>sit on the screen for a second when the program starts up; it doesn't ever
>show up in anything permanent.

Because, gentle reader, it would get incredibly annoying to constantly see
your name spelled wrong every morning when starting up the program!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-\******/=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Gabe Wiener -- Columbia University   \****/   "This 'telephone' has too many
				      \**/    shortcomings to be seriously
INTERNET: gmw1@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu  \/     considered as a means of
BITNET:   gmw1@cunixc                  /\     communication.  The device is
CI$: 	  72355.1226@compuserve.com   /**\    inherently of no value to us."
WUI: 	  650-117-9118               /****\     - Western Union memo, 1877
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-/******\=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

sac90286@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Kubla Khan) (08/21/89)

I had the same problem with MS Word (version 4.something). All I did was drag
the offending copy of Word into the trashcan, and drag a fresh copy off the
original floppy into the old Word's place. When I started it up, it again asked
me to personalize my copy of MS Word, and everything proceeded as if I had
never made the typing mistake. Since I was expecting the original floppy to be
permanantly marked with my (misspelled) name, you can imagine my surprise when
this technique worked...

Scott Coleman
kubla@uiuc.edu

d88-sli@nada.kth.se (Stefan Lindmark) (08/21/89)

In article <13779@netnews.upenn.edu> rubinoff@linc.cis.upenn.edu (Robert Rubinoff) writes:
>Why would anyone care if they spelled their name wrong?  All it does is
>sit on the screen for a second when the program starts up; it doesn't ever
>show up in anything permanent.

Quite annoying, if the name was so garbled, that it looked so *very* much
like the name of another company that one could suspect piracy.
But I am sure that is not what the discussion is all about? :-)
--
Stefan Lindmark, Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden
Email: d88-sli@nada.kth.se        Snail-mail: Don't even bother...

boz@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (John Boswell) (08/22/89)

About changing the personalization in Word...Quite simple!  Just delete your
current copy, and start with a fresh copy from your master disk.  The first
time you run it (the new copy), you will be asked to personalize it.

 John Boswell 			  	 	boz@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
 Dept. of Chemistry		 		boz@dartCMS1.BITNET
 Dartmouth College, Hangover, Nude Hampster  03755

chaz@pnet51.cts.com (Chuck Larson) (08/24/89)

mmerall) writes:

> [ Someone's name gets mistyped in MS work peronalize-it dialog
>
>How do you do this?  I can use FEdit or MacSnoop to find the name, but how
>is it formatted?  Does anyone know?  It doesn't work if you just change the

This is quite easy.  using FEdit or something like it, set the logical EOF of
the data fork of the application to 0 (that's zero, of course.)  The
name/organization is the only thing in the data fork, and if it is 0, the
program will ask you for the name/organization again, just like the first
launch.  Claris products also works like this, if I'm not mistaken.

<chaz>

[this is my first non-local post, so please pardon the lack of an edifying
signature file...I will figure this stuff out sooner or later... :-)]

UUCP: {amdahl!bungia, uunet!rosevax, chinet, killer}!orbit!pnet51!chaz
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!chaz@nosc.mil
INET: chaz@pnet51.cts.com