[comp.sys.mac] Microsoft Word 4.0

cloos@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (James H. Cloos Jr.) (10/10/88)

I've been informed (by a reliable source) that MS has announced the release
of Word 4.0, and--more importantly--has in fact started shipping.

Surprisingly, I've seen no mention of this in this newsgroup.  I'm curious,
therefore, if any of you have heard this--or better:  have you seen it?

The last info I saw on it was an advance report posted here, quite some time
ago.  I am interested in any info regarding the program, as I expect to pick
up my copy as soon as they arrive in Ithaca.

-JimC
--
batcomputer!cloos@cornell.UUCP  |James H. Cloos, Jr.|#include <disclaimer.h>
cloos@batcomputer.tn.cornell.EDU|B7 Upson, Cornell U|#include <cute_stuff.h>

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (10/12/88)

In article <6505@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> cloos@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (James H. Cloos Jr.) writes:
>I've been informed (by a reliable source) that MS has announced the release
>of Word 4.0, and--more importantly--has in fact started shipping.
>
>Surprisingly, I've seen no mention of this in this newsgroup.  I'm curious,
>therefore, if any of you have heard this--or better:  have you seen it?

Last summer they sent a letter asking if we were going to order the upgrade.
If you answered back, you could get it for $50 instead of $75. I answered and
got a postcard acknowledging that I would get the $25 off coupon.

I still have not received the upgrade notice and coupon whereby you actually
order and pay for the upgrade, so we have to be some weeks away from having
it in our hands, even if it is ready to ship today.

Shirley Kehr

ngg@bridge2.3Com.Com (Norman Goodger) (10/13/88)

In article <6505@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, cloos@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (James H. Cloos Jr.) writes:
> I've been informed (by a reliable source) that MS has announced the release
> of Word 4.0, and--more importantly--has in fact started shipping.
>
> -JimC

I was at a user group meeting a few days ago, and a user that works for
a local Microsoft office said that Word 4.0 was not shipping yet, but was
very close. I think he said sometime in Novemeber. It will be interesting
to see if this release is solid and nothing like the 3.0 release. I think
the most unusual feature of 4.0 is the menu definitions, you can really
jumble up the menus in this new version if you wanted too...Time will tell

gford@nunki.usc.edu (Gregory Ford) (08/04/89)

I just upgraded to Word 4.0, and I must say that I am impressed.
It lives up to everything the net has said.

However, I have noticed something peculiar.  It takes my Mac II, with
a 28ms access time HD, about one full second to display the menu
when I click on the menu item.  I am using the Full Menus at the moment,
but this occurs on the Short Menus too.  Even version 3.02 was much faster
than this.

Is this true for all copies of this version, or is my Mac II getting
old and grey?

Curiosity killed the cat...

* Greg Ford				GEnie:    G.FORD3		      *
* University of Southern California	Internet: gford%nunki.usc.edu@usc.edu *

wntrmute@cmx.npac.syr.edu (Jim Brule) (08/05/89)

In article <4621@merlin.usc.edu> gford@nunki.usc.edu (Gregory Ford) writes:

>However, I have noticed something peculiar.  It takes my Mac II, with
>a 28ms access time HD, about one full second to display the menu
>when I click on the menu item.  I am using the Full Menus at the moment,
>but this occurs on the Short Menus too.  Even version 3.02 was much faster
>than this.

No problems here on either of my Mac-II's, one with 8MB and the other with
5MB, both running multifinder. Do you have a lot of inits, etc, running?

I am impressed with 4.0, having used it to provide camera-ready (as well
as compose) a book for McGraw-Hill according to their typesetting specs.
I had considered FullWrite (too slow, and in fact, some of their "features"
were too restrictive) and PageMaker, but found Word 4.0 the clear winner.

 ~~~Jim

--
Integrity is the capacity to perceive and act on a perception in spite of the
immediate social inconvenience. Integrity involves not independence from

sage@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (David Martosko '91) (08/05/89)

In article <4621@merlin.usc.edu> gford@nunki.usc.edu (Gregory Ford) writes:
>It takes my Mac II, with
>a 28ms access time HD, about one full second to display the menu
>when I click on the menu item.  I am using the Full Menus at the moment,
>but this occurs on the Short Menus too.  Even version 3.02 was much faster
>than this.

Try turning "Load program into memory" on, in the preferences menu item.
It speeds things up considerably, if you're willing to devote the memory
to it.

  David Martosko                         E-mail:sage@eleazar.dartmouth.EDU
  Dartmouth College HB 2216               Phone:(603) 640-4663
  Hanover, NH 03755

Adam.Frix@f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (08/06/89)

[stuff about the Mac II taking a full second to pull down Word 4's menus]

I've noticed the very same thing.  It's a little bit worse on my Plus,
specifically when pulling down the very first menu--that takes a full 5
seconds!  Each menu after that does take a second or so.  It's like
working on an Apple IIGS!

I've also noticed the same problem in Works 2.0 and 2.0a.  It's slightly
different; each menu, from the first time to the last, takes 2 seconds
(maybe a little less) to come down.  It looks like Microsoft just loves to
screw with things, eh?

Oh, BTW:  In Word 4, not only does the first menu take 5 seconds, so does
the first command-key operation.  Command-O, for example, highlights the
File menu--the word "File" turns white on black, like it should--but it
still takes 5 seconds to get the SFGet box on screen.  Again, this is only
for the first command-key operation.  The rest after this work like
pulling down a menu with the mouse--a second or so goes by before anything
happens.

Apparently Microsoft is maintaining a presence here.  I'm not really
bitching or flaming, as Word 4 really is a power program and (for those of
us who have gotten a feel for the sometimes odd ways MS does things)
fairly easy to use.  I even got on-screen multiple columns on the first
try, without checking the manual.  So, maybe someone can give me a reason
why the menu problems.

--Adam--

--
Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200!Adam.Frix

nilesinc@well.UUCP (Avi Rappoport) (08/24/89)

As far as I can tell, Word re-builds its menus every time you click on the
menubar.  Since they don't save stuff in resources (*this is a Mac program??)
I can't tell exactly what's going on.  Try Cell commands from a Table on
a Plus.  I once counted 30 seconds!