[comp.sys.mac] Odd Size Terminal Emulator

taylor@limbo.intuitive.com (Dave Taylor) (08/17/89)

Having a full-page monochrome display on my Mac II and
hooking it up to Unix boxes, I find it constantly annoying
that the terminal emulator I have (Red Ryder) has a hard
coded terminal size of 25 lines, regardless of window
size.  (that is, regardless of window dimensions, a "clear"
sequence from the host will result in the bottom 25 lines
being cleared)

What I'd like to get is a terminal emulator that will allow
me to create arbitrary size terminals -- at least 30 - 40
lines rather than 25 !!  Ideally it should be emulating
either an HP terminal or the ole' standard VT100.

Anyone know of any programs that can do that?  Free or $$
it's the same to me...

	Thanks for your help in this matter!

						-- Dave Taylor

address responses to  taylor@limbo.intuitive.com
		  or  {decwrl,hplabs,apple}!limbo!taylor

userDBUG@ualtamts.BITNET (Dan Berry) (08/18/89)

In article <13172@well.UUCP>, taylor@limbo.intuitive.com (Dave Taylor) writes:
>What I'd like to get is a terminal emulator that will allow
>me to create arbitrary size terminals -- at least 30 - 40
>lines rather than 25 !!  Ideally it should be emulating
>either an HP terminal or the ole' standard VT100.
>                                                -- Dave Taylor

ZTerm v0.8 is the program that I'd endorse for you, then.  It auto-
matically adjusts the number of rows you have when you resize the
window to however big you want it, plus it has a scrollback and all
the other pleasant features - including Zmodem (hence ZTerm...!).
Copies of it are floating around the comp.binaries.mac archives,
I'm sure, and since it's in it's "Early Days", the author is still
adding many creature comforts to it.

+-----------------------------------+  DAN BERRY
!  "Violence is the last            !  University of Alberta
!       refuge of an incompetent."  !  Computing Systems
+-----------------------------------+  (Network and DataCom)

straka@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (richard.j.straka) (08/18/89)

In article <241@ualtamts.BITNET> userDBUG@ualtamts.BITNET (Dan Berry) writes:
>In article <13172@well.UUCP>, taylor@limbo.intuitive.com (Dave Taylor) writes:
>>What I'd like to get is a terminal emulator that will allow
>>me to create arbitrary size terminals -- at least 30 - 40
>>lines rather than 25 !!  Ideally it should be emulating
>>either an HP terminal or the ole' standard VT100.

The old, standard Versaterm supports draggable screen sizes.  Also, 3
different point sizes for the characters (6,9,12).  Works like a champ.

Just remember to make a new termcap/terminfo if you are talking to a UNIX(R)
box to take advantage of the extra size when editing / ...

phssra@mathcs.emory.edu (Scott R. Anderson) (08/23/89)

In article <2526@cbnewsc.ATT.COM> straka@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (richard.j.straka) writes:
>In article <241@ualtamts.BITNET> userDBUG@ualtamts.BITNET (Dan Berry) writes:
>>In article <13172@well.UUCP>, taylor@limbo.intuitive.com (Dave Taylor) writes:
>>>What I'd like to get is a terminal emulator that will allow me to create
>>>arbitrary size terminals -- at least 30 - 40 lines rather than 25 !!
>>>Ideally it should be emulating an HP terminal or the ole' standard VT100.
>
>The old, standard Versaterm supports draggable screen sizes....
>Just remember to make a new termcap/terminfo if you are talking to a UNIX(R)
>box to take advantage of the extra size when editing / ...

You should look into the uw program, available at an archive near you.  In
addition to giving you an arbitrarily-sized screen, this program gives you up
to *seven* arbitrarily-sized screens, each running a different a shell or
program.  And since it's a UNIX-specific program, it knows how to tell your
shell what its window size is, so you don't have to fiddle around with termcap.
I routinely run 38-line shells on my 13" monitor.

Caveat:  it only supports ansi, vt52, adm-31, and tek 4010 terminal modes.  The
ansi is close to vt100, but I've found it to be a little flaky.

*
  *      **                  Scott Robert Anderson      gatech!emoryu1!phssra
   *   *    *    **          phssra@unix.cc.emory.edu   phssra@emoryu1.bitnet
    * *      * *    * **
     *        *      *  * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

stuart@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (S. D. Ericson) (08/24/89)

In article <4286@emory.mathcs.emory.edu), phssra@mathcs.emory.edu (Scott R. Anderson) writes:
) ))In article <13172@well.UUCP), taylor@limbo.intuitive.com (Dave Taylor) writes:
) )))...
) )))What I'd like to get is a terminal emulator that will allow me to create
) )))arbitrary size terminals -- at least 30 - 40 lines rather than 25 !!
[...]
)
) You should look into the uw program, available at an archive near you.  In
) addition to giving you an arbitrarily-sized screen, this program gives you up
) to *seven* arbitrarily-sized screens, each running a different a shell or
) program.  And since it's a UNIX-specific program, it knows how to tell your
[...]
Don't forget to tell the people that this is BERKELEY (BSD) specific.
In won't run on SYSTEM V (well, not until you're running SVR4, which
isn't released from Sun and AT&T yet).

I would second the vote for VersaTerm (4.0) - it resizes windows, it works
GREAT in the background, and it automatically zooms to a small window
(You can determine the size) when you switch applications in MultiFinder.

Stuart
--
Stuart Ericson                  AT&T Bell Laboratories    | Note: area code 312
USEnet: att!ihlpa!stuart        IH 1C215                  |   becomes 708 on