[comp.sys.mac] Short Cut to Copying Files??

Frank.Savell@f2811.n206.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Frank Savell) (08/20/89)

Many times when I copy a file from one disk to another, I wonder if there
isn't a shortcut instead of dragging the icon from one disk to another
followed by trashing the icon from the place it came from. I think that
most times I trash the icon from the place it came from.... so how come
that isn't the default case?? Anyone know of extra keys to push to cause
the file from the origin to be erased??

--
Frank Savell via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!206!2811!Frank.Savell

>Many times when I copy a file from one disk to another, I wonder if there
>isn't a shortcut instead of dragging the icon from one disk to another
>followed by trashing the icon from the place it came from. I think that
>most times I trash the icon from the place it came from.... so how come
>that isn't the default case??

Well, about 60% of the time I don't. If you think about it, I'd rather the
default be to not delete a file (force an extra action to delete data)
rather than automatically deleting a file (force an action to precent
deletion). That's a *lot* safer.

For moving stuff, look at the Desk Accessory DiskTop. It has both copy and
move options.

Chuq Von Rospach      =|=     Editor,OtherRealms     =|=     Member SFWA/ASFA
         chuq@apple.com   =|=  CI$: 73317,635  =|=  AppleLink: CHUQ
      [This is myself speaking. No company can control my thoughts.]

phil@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk (08/24/89)

In article <34180@apple.Apple.COM>, chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
> Well, about 60% of the time I don't. If you think about it, I'd rather the
> default be to not delete a file (force an extra action to delete data)
> rather than automatically deleting a file (force an action to precent
> deletion). That's a *lot* safer.

Well, I think that the finder would be improved if, after selecting files for
copying etc., when the copy is completed the files remained selected.  At the
moment they un-select.  This would make it easier to drag them to the trash
afterwards if that's what you want, and wouldn't make life any more difficult
otherwise.  I have copied and then deleted multiple files a number of
times, and it is a complete pain to have to make the re-selection - especially
if the selected file are not grouped together in the window.
Phil Jimmieson,           ***************************************************
Computer Science Dept.,   *                                                 *
Liverpool University,     * JANET : PHIL@UK.AC.LIV.CS.MVA                   *
PO Box 147                * ARPA  : PHIL%mva.cs.liv.ac.uk@cunyvm.cuny.edu   *
Liverpool  L69  3BX       *                                                 *
(UK) 051-794-3689         ***************************************************

hammen@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Robert J. Hammen) (08/25/89)

In article <761@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk> phil@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk writes:
>Well, I think that the finder would be improved if, after selecting files for
>copying etc., when the copy is completed the files remained selected.

I second this notion, having been a user group disk librarian for four years
and having copied thousands (if not millions :-) of files. One thing that makes
things easier: on a color/greyscale Mac II, select all of your items, color
them black, then select the files you want to copy over. Make them a different
color. Do the copy, and then View by Color. You still have to click on each of
the files, but at least the computer "remembers" them for you. Or, create a
folder and drag the files into that folder, then copy them, and then trash the
folder.

The other major PITA (pain-in-the-*ss) with the Finder is the stupid, unhelpful
"Replace items with the same names with the selected items?" dialog you get
when your destination folder has a file in it with the same name as one you
are trying to copy to the folder. Since the Finder obviously knows which file
names conflict, then why the bloody hell doesn't the thing tell me!?!?!?!? I
sincerely hope this gets fixed in Finder 7.0 (pmercer, are you listening?).

/ Robert Hammen | Service Bureau Manager and Macintosh Consultant         /
/ Bulfin Printers | 1887 N. Water | Milwaukee WI 53202 | (414) 271-1887   /
/ hammen@csd4.csd.uwm.edu | uunet!uwmcsd4!hammen | Delphi: HAMMEN         /
/ CI$: 70701,2104 | GEnie: R.Hammen | MacNet: HAMMEN | BIX: rhammen       /