[comp.sys.mac] 32 bit Quickdraw

truong@amelia.nas.nasa.gov (Tuong C. Truong) (08/15/89)

With all these talk about converting Mac II signal to NTSC, It boils down
to the need of the 32-bit QuickDraw package, specificly the Macintosh II
video Card Utility.  Would some kind netlanders please show me How or Where
I can get the 32-bit QuickDraw package, including the Mac II video card
utility.

Thank a million in advance

jnh@ecemwl.ncsu.edu (Joseph N. Hall) (08/16/89)

In article <2862@amelia.nas.nasa.gov> truong@amelia.nas.nasa.gov (Tuong C. Truong) writes:
>With all these talk about converting Mac II signal to NTSC, It boils down
The new issue of MacUser features an ad for a new RasterOps 24-bit board,
for a 13" monitor (the Applecolor monitor is fine), and it includes some
hardware for NTSC output (though you might need to buy some additional
minor hardware).  The price is a jaw-dropping $995.  That's right, three
digits.  That's about the same as the Apple 8-bit color board.  You can
call for information (I did but haven't received it yet).

v   v sssss|| joseph hall                      || 4116 Brewster Drive
 v v s   s || jnh@ecemwl.ncsu.edu (Internet)   || Raleigh, NC  27606
  v   sss  || SP Software/CAD Tool Developer, Mac Hacker and Keyboardist
-----------|| Disclaimer: NCSU may not share my views, but is welcome to.

adam@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Adam Glass) (08/16/89)

jnh@ecemwl.ncsu.edu (Joseph N. Hall) writes:
> [various stuff in praise of RasterOps 24 bit board deleted]
> The price is a jaw-dropping $995.  That's right, three
> digits.  That's about the same as the Apple 8-bit color board.

I know it's really annoying to post a message just to correct someone,
but I'll add something at the end, I guess...

The apple board is about $350 (or was two years ago when I got my II) and
the expansion memory costs (nowadays) $70 tops. Which means that you're
about $600 off. I'll admit that from what I've seen of the RasterOps
board, it's a nice board, but please don't compare it to the Apple board
as far as cost goes (quality-wise, it's hands-down in favor of the Raster
Ops board).

--

Apple claims that you can't use the NTSC hack with any board but theirs. Well,
I don't want to put words in their collective mouth, but it says specifically

Adam

("There, see? I was only mildly obnoxious...")
--
"Offer me anything I ask for..."
"Anything you want."

paulm@nikhefk.UUCP (Paul Molenaar) (08/17/89)

In article <3671@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> jnh@ecemwl.UUCP (Joseph N. Hall) writes:
>In article <2862@amelia.nas.nasa.gov> truong@amelia.nas.nasa.gov (Tuong C. Truong) writes:
>>With all these talk about converting Mac II signal to NTSC, It boils down
>The new issue of MacUser features an ad for a new RasterOps 24-bit board,
>for a 13" monitor (the Applecolor monitor is fine), and it includes some
>hardware for NTSC output (though you might need to buy some additional
>minor hardware).  The price is a jaw-dropping $995.  That's right, three
>digits.  That's about the same as the Apple 8-bit color board.  You can
>call for information (I did but haven't received it yet).

I'm seriously considering to buy that Rasterops 24-bit videocard
(hell, I sold my SE to buy a IIcx just to be able to use the card ;)
but I'd like to hear other people's experiences. Anyone using it now?
Have there been reviews in the Mac press?
And: will it, in some future, support PAL output? (I'd prefer HD-MAC
output, but then again...;)

Related question: can anyone enlighten me on the average street-price
of a Mac IIcx in the States? Will prices drop when the new macs hit the
street?

        Paul Molenaar

	"Just checking the walls"
		- Basil Fawlty -
--
        Paul Molenaar

	"Just checking the walls"
		- Basil Fawlty -

adam@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Adam Glass) (08/17/89)

paulm@nikhefk.UUCP (Paul Molenaar) writes:
> jnh@ecemwl.UUCP (Joseph N. Hall) writes:
> >The new issue of MacUser features an ad for a new RasterOps 24-bit board,
> >for a 13" monitor (the Applecolor monitor is fine), and it includes some
> >hardware for NTSC output (though you might need to buy some additional
> >minor hardware).  The price is a jaw-dropping $995.  That's right, three
> >digits.  That's about the same as the Apple 8-bit color board.  You can
> >call for information (I did but haven't received it yet).
> >

> I'm seriously considering to buy that Rasterops 24-bit videocard
> (hell, I sold my SE to buy a IIcx just to be able to use the card ;)
> but I'd like to hear other people's experiences. Anyone using it now?
> Have there been reviews in the Mac press?
> And: will it, in some future, support PAL output? (I'd prefer HD-MAC
> output, but then again...;)

Not to be pessimistic, folks, but encoders (RGB->NTSC) cost a lot. I mean,
more than $600 and at least $700 or $800 for a good one. And that's only to
convert to NTSC. Then there's the cost of the video board for the computer,
which, for a 24 bit board, runs expensive (about the $1000 that RasterOps is
charging for this new one (anyone who says "That's right, three digits" about
RasterOps' price is kidding themselves)). I saw the picture of the RasterOps
board in MacUser, and I thought I remembered both a) seing a place where an
NTSC or PAL conversion board would snap/solder in, and b) reading something
about the NTSC/PAL board being optional.

Of course, the $1000 RasterOps board is a great price, and then the $800
or so (this is, of course, just speculation...) on top of that still makes
an NTSC/PAL equipped RasterOps board a great price. for $1800 or so, you get
genlocked NTSC/PAL and 24-bit, 32-bit QD compatible color. Not bad. Color
boards cost a lot, and genlock boards cost more, so the $1800 price is far
more than reasonable. But I think it's overly optimistic and unrealistic to
think that RasterOps could sell an NTSC converting 24 bit color board for just
$300 more than an NTSC encoder.

By all means, I could be wrong. But it just doesn't seem likely/possible.

Adam

--
"Offer me anything I ask for..."      (mail address in message header)
"Anything you want."                                                   "Moof!"

truesdel@ics.uci.edu (Scott Truesdell) (08/17/89)

paulm@nikhefk.UUCP (Paul Molenaar) writes:

>I'm seriously considering to buy that Rasterops 24-bit videocard
>(hell, I sold my SE to buy a IIcx just to be able to use the card ;)
>but I'd like to hear other people's experiences. Anyone using it now?
>Have there been reviews in the Mac press?

The card is very new. I don't believe it is for sale at this time. I
seem to remember them quoting a late September date at Expo. I held 2
different "264" cards in my hand; one they were passing around during
their presentation and another that was given as a gift for a friend of
mine who was developing some software for them. The cards were different
form each other in chip layout, ROM configuration, and video RAM. The
card my friend recieved was very high quality production, all surface mount,

>And: will it, in some future, support PAL output? (I'd prefer HD-MAC
>output, but then again...;)

The brochure only mentions RGB NTSC output. The board is, however,
self configuring/auto-sensing.

  --scott

--
Scott Truesdell

adam@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Adam Glass) writes:

>Not to be pessimistic, folks, but encoders (RGB->NTSC) cost a lot. I mean,
>more than $600 and at least $700 or $800 for a good one. And that's only to
>convert to NTSC. Then there's the cost of the video board for the computer,
>which, for a 24 bit board, runs expensive (about the $1000 that RasterOps is
>charging for this new one (anyone who says "That's right, three digits" about
>RasterOps' price is kidding themselves)).

Quote from RasterOps brochure obtained at Expo:

  "Two separate oscillators. [One] to support Apple's 13" color monitor
at a resolution of 640 x 480, and the [other] to output 8-bit gray scale
video directly to VCRs or TV monitors. It will also output RGB NTSC video
for external encoding in 24-bit True Color. ..."

later:

  "Circuitry that automatically senses which monitor you are using and
switches automatically from 66.7 Hz to 30 Hz. You just plug in your
Apple-compatible monitors, the board will take care of the rest."

>I saw the picture of the RasterOps
>board in MacUser, and I thought I remembered both a) seing a place where an
>NTSC or PAL conversion board would snap/solder in, and b) reading something
>about the NTSC/PAL board being optional.

The pictures I've seen don't look like the finished product I held in
my hands: the video RAM looks to be on a daughterboard in the ads, but the
boards I saw had direct surface mount v-RAM directly on the main card.
There were no provisions for a daughterboard.

So it appears to be a pretty good deal...

  --scott

--
Scott Truesdell

hallett@shoreland.uucp (Jeff Hallett x4-6328) (08/19/89)

In article <21161@paris.ics.uci.edu> truesdel@ics.uci.edu (Scott Truesdell) writes:
>later:
>
>  "Circuitry that automatically senses which monitor you are using and
>switches automatically from 66.7 Hz to 30 Hz. You just plug in your
>Apple-compatible monitors, the board will take care of the rest."

I talked to a receptroid at the RasterOps booth who said that any
monitor which cycles at 37 kHz horizontally could be plugged into this
board regardless of size.  I'm not much of a hardward jock, but this
sounded fishy.  Anyone care to comment?  They had a NEC ColorSync 13",
Apple 13" and one of their own larger monitors running off one, I
think, so something is up.

Further, he said that the board puts out gray NTSC and that a color
decoded could be purchased separately.  He mentioned Sony as a
possible vendor.

--
                Jeffrey A. Hallett, PET Software Engineering
                    GE Medical Systems, W641, PO Box 414

viraf@gwusun.gwu.edu (Viraf Bankwalla) (08/25/89)

Hi,

  I have been trying to get technical info on 32 bit QuickDraw, without any
success.  Is there any means I can get this info without being a developer ?
I am trying to get the University to join, but until then what can I do ?

  The only thing that I have been able to find is their Color Demo Disk, on
AppleLink.

  Any pointers/assistance would be greatly appreciated.

  Thanks in advannce.

  viraf bankwalla
  viraf@gwusun.gwu.edu
  uunet!gwusun!viraf