[comp.sys.mac] while we are talking about ridiculous AppleCare pricing: IIx

werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (08/15/89)

	the local university store lists:

MAC 128k	$100
MAC 512k	$115
MAC Pus		$122
MAC SE		$122
MAC SE HD 20	$285	(what? that 20meg HD is *THAT* bad?!?)
MAC SE HD40/2	$299	(what a bargain ... :-(
MAC SE/30	$270	(what is that?  what's wrong with the 30 vs SE-plain?)
MAC SE/30 HD40	$295	(ah, I understand, a ripoff! make those guys without
			 a hard disk pay for the those that have a HD...)
MAC SE/30 HD80	$390	(and what is that? the Quantum80 is more reliable
			 and warranty should be cheaper!!)
MAC II		$199	(why the II should be more expensive than a 128
			 beats me...;  a decent powersupply, no screen,
			 no keyboard ..., even a fan to keep things from
			 burning up ...)
MAC II HD 40	$379	(that 40 must be a real dog!! or what gives?!)
MAC II HD 40/4	$379	I'm trying to make sense of that ....
MAC IIcx	$279	hmmmm....
MAC IIx		$469	RIPOFF, RIPOFF !!!

	I am utterly digusted with these prices, esepcially the IIx !!!
	if it is true that buying with the American Express Card gives
	you an automatic 1-year warranty, one should either do that or
	get the American Express card and go on a round-the-world trip
	*INSTEAD* of buying a Macingtosh computer ....

	somebody had to say it ....

--
      ----------->   PREFERED RETURN-ADDRESS FOLLOWS   <--------------

  (ARPA)    werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu   (Internet: 128.83.144.1)
  (UUCP)    ..!utastro!werner   or  ..!uunet!rascal.ics.utexas.edu!werner

davew@hp-ptp.HP.COM (Dave_Waller) (08/18/89)

werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) writes:

> 	the local university store lists:
>
> MAC 128k	$100
> MAC 512k	$115
> MAC Pus		$122
> MAC SE		$122
> MAC SE HD 20	$285	(what? that 20meg HD is *THAT* bad?!?)
> MAC SE HD40/2	$299	(what a bargain ... :-(
> MAC SE/30	$270	(what is that?  what's wrong with the 30 vs SE-plain?)
> MAC SE/30 HD40	$295	(ah, I understand, a ripoff! make those guys without
> 			 a hard disk pay for the those that have a HD...)
> MAC SE/30 HD80	$390	(and what is that? the Quantum80 is more reliable
> 			 and warranty should be cheaper!!)
> MAC II		$199	(why the II should be more expensive than a 128
> 			 beats me...;  a decent powersupply, no screen,
> 			 no keyboard ..., even a fan to keep things from
> 			 burning up ...)
> MAC II HD 40	$379	(that 40 must be a real dog!! or what gives?!)
> MAC II HD 40/4	$379	I'm trying to make sense of that ....
> MAC IIcx	$279	hmmmm....
> MAC IIx		$469	RIPOFF, RIPOFF !!!
>
> 	I am utterly digusted with these prices, esepcially the IIx !!!
> 	if it is true that buying with the American Express Card gives
> 	you an automatic 1-year warranty, one should either do that or
> 	get the American Express card and go on a round-the-world trip
> 	*INSTEAD* of buying a Macingtosh computer ....
>
> 	somebody had to say it ....
>
> --
>       ----------->   PREFERED RETURN-ADDRESS FOLLOWS   <--------------
>
>   (ARPA)    werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu   (Internet: 128.83.144.1)
>   (UUCP)    ..!utastro!werner   or  ..!uunet!rascal.ics.utexas.edu!werner
> ----------

Ah,  Werner,  Werner.  Don't  even TRY to make  sense  out of  support
pricing  if you are  going  to use the  "how  much it  costs to fix it
should be what they charge me for support" model.  You need to use the
"If the customer  could afford to buy a more  expensive  machine, then
s/he can afford to pay more for support  contracts, even if the newer,
better, more expensive machine costs LESS to fix" model.  The model is
based  on the  corporate  marketing  model  "gouge  the  customer  for
whatever  s/he is  willing  to pay,  regardless  of the  value  of the
product" model.  This is why frequently you see exactly the SAME piece
of software priced  differently for different machines  (although this
doesn't happen in the mac world of S/W as far as I can tell).

** RAMBLE ON **

Note  that the  state of  California  uses  this  model  for  charging
automobile registration fees.  My '85 Honda CRX, as far as I can tell,
causes less overall wear and tear on the freeways and roads than a old
Buick  Riviera,  but my reg.  fees are $200 a year  while the Buick is
about  $36.  The  fees  are,  according  to  the  state  of  CA,  "for
improvement and maintenance of roadways".  Obviously the policy is not
based on how much MY car costs the state in road  repairs,  it's based
on "you  bought  a new  car, so you  must be rich  and can pay  more".
Unfortunately  what they fail to  realize is that a new car  typically
means I have  LESS  money  every  year (due to  payments),  not  more.
Ahhhh, logic is a precious  thing,  available  only to the  priveleged
few....

** RAMBLE OFF **

You should be mad; however, this, unfortunately, is the way the world
works, and I'm afraid it's not gonna change.

Pissed off too and sympathizing with you,

Dave Waller
Hewlett-Packard Co.
Workstation Group
Pacific Technology Park
1266 Kifer Rd.
Sunnyvale, CA
(408) 746-5324
[ucbvax!]hplabs!hpdstma!dave | dave@hpdstma.ptp.hp.com
+-------------------------------------+---------------------------------------+
| Standard disclaimer:                |  "I refuse to put anything in quotes  |
| The opinions expressed above are    |   in this space"                      |
| solely my own, and in no way reflect|                                       |
| those of my employer.               |                                       |
+-------------------------------------+---------------------------------------+

davew@hp-ptp.HP.COM (Dave_Waller) (08/23/89)

Wow! It sound really great in Canada. Noew, if you could only make it a
little _warmer_ there in the winter....

Dave Waller
Hewlett-Packard Co.
Workstation Group
Pacific Technology Park
1266 Kifer Rd.
Sunnyvale, CA
(408) 746-5324
[ucbvax!]hplabs!hpdstma!dave | dave@hpdstma.ptp.hp.com
+-------------------------------------+---------------------------------------+
| Standard disclaimer:                |  "I refuse to put anything in quotes  |
| The opinions expressed above are    |   in this space"                      |
| solely my own, and in no way reflect|                                       |
| those of my employer.               |                                       |
+-------------------------------------+---------------------------------------+

P.S. : I wnat you to know that I, for one, am actively trying to get the
jerks responsible for your dying lakes to clean up their act... We're
not all pro-acid rain here in the U.S....

ralph@lzfme.att.com (Ralph Brandi) (08/25/89)

In article <1570016@hp-ptp.HP.COM> davew@hp-ptp.HP.COM (Dave_Waller) writes:
>Wow! It sound really great in Canada. Noew, if you could only make it a
>little _warmer_ there in the winter....

Well, you know what they say about the seasons in Canada. They have
four, just like us: early winter, winter, late winter, and July
17th....  ;-)

Ralph
--
Ralph Brandi    [most gateways in the known universe]!att!lzfme!ralph

Work flows toward the competent until they are submerged.