[comp.sys.mac] problems with .Z files

kklw@mullian..ee.mu.OZ.AU (Kevin K L WONG) (08/23/89)

	I ftped some mac stuff from umn with .Z suffix. I tried zcat to
look at them but it gave me some meaningless thing. Then I tried
uncompress but it gave an output file of enormous size (2M) without
meaningful content.

	What should I do with those files in order to convert them to mac
files? Can anyone help? E-mail to me please. Thank you in advance.

|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
|  Kevin WONG                                                             |
|  Department of Electrical & Electronic Engineering                      |
|  University of Melbourne                                                |

coleman@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (08/24/89)

Files with the .Z extension have been compressed with the compress program
available on UNIX systems. There are various compress algorithms used: some
are 12-bit, some are 16-bit, I've even heard of a 13-bit compress. As I
understand it, not all uncompress programs can handle all the different
formats.

If the version of uncompress you used does not
produce readable files, try uncompressing it on a UNIX host.

Scott
kubla@uiuc.edu

bannon@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (Ronald Bannon) (08/25/89)

In article <46100322@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> coleman@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>If the version of uncompress you used does not
>produce readable files, try uncompressing it on a UNIX host.

You can also uncompress .z files on the MAC with MacCompress, you can get
MacCompress from sumex or I'll mail it to anyone who does not have ftp
access.

Ron Bannon
bannon@andromeda.rutgers.edu

tdt@pyr.gatech.EDU ( Tim Tiemens) (08/26/89)

I just ran into this problem with .Z files uncompressing to mega-bytes.  For
me, it was during the ftp stage - I had forgotten to set the 'binary' option.
After I did that, I re-got the files, and they uncompressed normally.  Hope
this helps.
				Tim Tiemens

--
  Tim Tiemens
uucp: ...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!tdt