[comp.sys.mac] CODA: a company you can trust?

david.dmytryshyn@f428.n250.z1.fidonet.org (david dmytryshyn) (08/17/89)

Here's something that's really annoyed quite a few of us.

5 of 6 months ago, we purchased Finale for musical DTP, thinking, well it is a
little expensive, but it seems to be the only tool capable of doing what it
does.  So after wading through the brain dead interface that they had decided
on, we seem to be using it somewhat efficiently.  Then comes the shocker...
Coda drops the price of Finale SUBSTANTIALLY.  We had purchased it for around
$1200CDN, the price now is $750CDN.    CODA being the gracious (extreme
sarcasm) company that they are, has offered us the next upgrade, which they say
will cost $150, works out to about $190CDN, for free.  Big deal.  In the letter
they sent they buttered us up, thanking us for being one of the earliest
purchasers of the product, and because of that they're going to offer us the
next upgrade (big $150 value) for free.  Nowhere does it mention that they've
dropped the price.  This is an insult to my intelligence.  Perhaps they thought
I'd never notice.

Are these people for real?  So much for the user comes first...  One letter to
CODA coming up.  Can hardly wait for the response...

David..

--- FD 2.00
 * Origin: Future Vision:  Progressive & Innovative (1:250/428)

truesdel@ics.uci.edu (Scott Truesdell) (08/19/89)

david.dmytryshyn@f428.n250.z1.fidonet.org (david dmytryshyn) writes:

>5 of 6 months ago, we purchased Finale for musical DTP, thinking, well it is a
>little expensive, but it seems to be the only tool capable of doing what it
>does.  So after wading through the brain dead interface that they had decided
>on, we seem to be using it somewhat efficiently.  Then comes the shocker...
>Coda drops the price of Finale SUBSTANTIALLY.  We had purchased it for around
>$1200CDN, the price now is $750CDN.

I don't get it; what's so shocking? Thoughout the history of computing,
users have constantly paid a premium for being at the forefront of
technology. As the costs for development start to become assimilated by
increased sales, prices drop. You didn't expect this? You state yourself
that you are using it effectively...

>CODA being the gracious (extreme
>sarcasm) company that they are, has offered us the next upgrade, which they say
>will cost $150, works out to about $190CDN, for free.  Big deal.

It IS a big deal. Take them up on it. What do you want, a $450CDN refund
AND a free upgrade? Apple just dropped $300 from the prices of their SEs.
I think they should mail me a check for $300 and upgrade me to an SE/30
for free!

>In the letter
>they sent they buttered us up, thanking us for being one of the earliest
>purchasers of the product, and because of that they're going to offer us the
>next upgrade (big $150 value) for free.  Nowhere does it mention that they've
>dropped the price.  This is an insult to my intelligence.  Perhaps they thought
>I'd never notice.

>Are these people for real?  So much for the user comes first...  One letter to
>CODA coming up.  Can hardly wait for the response...

Oh lighten up, David! Do you really think you were treated unfairly? You
didn't seem to think so when you bought the product, which you are using
effectively. This action by Coda is completely in line with the way this
entire industry operates. I think the free upgrade is a good deal.

--
Scott Truesdell

david.dmytryshyn@f428.n250.z1.fidonet.org (david dmytryshyn) (08/21/89)

 > I don't get it; what's so shocking? Thoughout the history of computing,
 > users have constantly paid a premium for being at the forefront of
 > technology. As the costs for development start to become assimilated by
 > increased sales, prices drop. You didn't expect this? You state yourself

By that much?  Almost 50%?  No, I didn't expect this.  For some reason, I'd
expect this with hardware, but I'm hard pressed to remember the last piece of
software which I purchased and the price went down after purchasing it, in
fact, most have gone up in price.  I've not done an industry wide survey here,
just personal experience.  But, if you can honestly tell me that after
purchasing a piece of software for $1300 you envisioned it's price dropping
some $550 I would laugh right in your face. (honestly, I would)  But then
again maybe your psychic powers are stronger than mine...  (I'm sending a
telepathic message to you now, are you reading it?  :)   )

 > effectively. This action by Coda is completely in line with the way this
 > entire industry operates. I think the free upgrade is a good deal.

And just because everyone else acts this way, it's somehow better?  There's no
logic there.  If we all felt that way, the consumer would be taken advantage
of left and right.  Just because these are high-tech computer stuff doesn't
mean we can't have consumer activism.  And, just because the software was over
$1000 doesn't make it any different than a $300 piece of software. Of course,
if I take your line and become a passivist and just roll over I'm sure the
world would be just such a great place. <hint of sarcasm>  Passivism has it's
place, but me thinks not here.   The free upgrade is an attempt at
appeasement, but I'm not rolling over.  Wenger (CODA) is a big music
publishing company, and I'm going to challenge them.  Some companies will
give the first upgrade free anyways.   (not just bug fixes)

One clarification, I said I was going to write a "nasty" letter, that's not my
real intention, as it will have lost considerable effectiveness, the letter
will be considerably more civil.  Don't quite know why I used nasty, perhaps
that was more a reflection of my mood.

David..

---
 * Origin: Toronto, Ontario, Canada.  (1:250/428)

mls@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (michael.l.siemon) (08/21/89)

In article <21277@paris.ics.uci.edu>, truesdel@ics.uci.edu (Scott Truesdell) writes:

> Oh lighten up, David! Do you really think you were treated unfairly? You
> didn't seem to think so when you bought the product, which you are using
> effectively. This action by Coda is completely in line with the way this
> entire industry operates. I think the free upgrade is a good deal.

Anyone who has agonized over the Finale interface will sympathize with the
original poster's comments.  It has the most godawful turkey of an interface
I have ever tried to cope with.  It is totatlly unclear whether the "upgrade"
is going to be any better (apparently it has added some undo capability --
the original version couldn't undo *anything* interesting -- and reorganized
some menus).  About a month before the upgrade offer they also stopped giving
free telephone support (which was one of the things they used to justify the
high price).  Certainly Coda has not been much worse than some other parts
of the industry; but they have also now put themselves in a position where
former customers see little but a ripoff.   That's their choice, but another
choice -- of cooperation and winning "hearts and minds" -- would have been
possible.
--
Michael L. Siemon		In philosophy the winner of the race
cucard!dasys1!mls		is the one who can run most slowly.

truesdel@ics.uci.edu (Scott Truesdell) (08/26/89)

david.dmytryshyn@f428.n250.z1.fidonet.org (david dmytryshyn) writes:

> > users have constantly paid a premium for being at the forefront of
> > technology. As the costs for development start to become assimilated by
> > increased sales, prices drop.

>By that much?  Almost 50%?  No, I didn't expect this.  For some reason, I'd
                       --- <-- yes, quite a jump.

>...But, if you can honestly tell me that after
>purchasing a piece of software for $1300 you envisioned it's price dropping
>some $550 I would laugh right in your face.

This happens frequently in special purpose, niche-market software
packages.  Applications to solve some esoteric need prove to be
generally useful to a broader market than originally envisioned
resulting in repositioning the product in the marketplace. (how's THAT
for marketing mumbo-jumbo?  But really, David, that's how marketing
types think!) Please don't ask me to wade through years of MacWEEKs,
but many special purpose packages do this. I've seen AI packages drop
even more dramatically. This happens mostly when a company envisions
their product as "special purpose" but are (pleasantly) surprised to
find the product brought into the mainstream.

I have an interest in music scoring software, but strictly as a hobby,
not professionally. I wouldn't justify Finale's original price for
myself. I honestly had a gut feeling that Finale's price would drop
twice: 1st, after the initial users who absolutely NEEDED Finale's
functionality were satisfied, dealers would start discounting from the
[high] list price. And 2nd, I felt it was possible that Coda would
discover that the market was broader for their product than was originally
anticipated by their marketing dept and that a reassessment of the
mark-up vs. volume ratio would result in a price cut. So laugh. When
companies enter a market that is new for them, they often go through
some adjustment period finding their nitch. This isn't only true for
high tech companies.

>And just because everyone else acts this way, it's somehow better?  There's no
>logic there.

It's not better; it's just the way things are. <shrug>

>If we all felt that way, the consumer would be taken advantage
>of left and right.

We are! We are all guinea pigs for all the marketing departments of the
world's fantasies. They spend billions trying to figure out how to
control and manipulate us.

>Just because these are high-tech computer stuff doesn't
>mean we can't have consumer activism.

Correct. But you weren't defrauded or ripped off, so what's to be
active about? I don't get it. Do you want Coda to raise the price back
up to the original price or do you want them to give you a rebate, then
charge full price for the upgrade?

>And, just because the software was over
>$1000 doesn't make it any different than a $300 piece of software.

Of course not. Why are you bringing this into the thread?

>if I take your line and become a passivist and just roll over I'm sure the
>world would be just such a great place. <hint of sarcasm>  Passivism has it's
>place, but me thinks not here.   The free upgrade is an attempt at
>appeasement,

I don't think appeasement, I think that they were just saying "Thank you for
contributing to our success. This one's on us." Other companies may do
better or worse than this (Apple definitely does worse).

> but I'm not rolling over.

No one's asking you to. You already did so voluntarily when you originally
bought the package. You want them to unroll you now?

>Wenger (CODA) is a big music
>publishing company, and I'm going to challenge them.  Some companies will
>give the first upgrade free anyways.   (not just bug fixes)

Some companies WILL give the 1st upgrade free. Company's choice. Again,
what are you going to challenge them for? On what grounds. You can
kick yourself for not waiting, but you can't kick Coda for offering
a product on the open market that you voluntarily chose to purchase.

>... the letter
>will be considerably more civil.

Always more effective!

>Don't quite know why I used nasty, perhaps
>that was more a reflection of my mood.

You feel you were wronged and felt a burst of emotion.  I don't agree
that you were wronged, but I grant the validity of the adrenaline (SP?)
rush accompanied by the desire to change the current situation.

Nonetheless, don't expect too much from Coda. I can sympathize with
your desire to save money, but you weren't wronged.

Pure conjecture on my part, but I wouldn't be surprised if Finale was
developed for Wenger's own in-house use only and that when the users
and programmers began to add features and polish the project they felt
proud of their accomplishment. I can imagine several meetings where
Coda decides to market the product and determine market size, marketing
costs, desired returns, etc. They throw the product out there, and
start getting feedback from end-users, dealers, their own marketing
bozos. They respond to shifts in their perception of what the market
would be like. If they had been dead on with their original guesses,
things would have progressed differently, no doubt.

The fact that they changed marketing strategies in mid-stream is not in
and of itself a good or a bad thing. The fact that we, the consumers,
are made aware of their change in marketing strategy is not the coolest
way to go on their part. But if they figured the increased profit will
offset the temporary marketplace confusion, they make their choice and
run with it. Coda (Wenger) is a company. They want to maximize their
profits. They will do what they can towards that end.

Anyway, sorry for the length and I hope you feel better...

--
Scott Truesdell