[comp.sys.mac] Macintosh Terms

rc05@GTE.COM (Ramesh Chandak) (08/26/89)

I am trying to understand the various Macintosh terms related to its
configuration. They are :
socketed DIP
PMMU
NuBus
ADB Standard
SIMM mounted chip

can anyone explain in little bit of detail what these various terms mean ?
Thanx in advance.

adam@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Adam Glass) (08/26/89)

rc05@GTE.COM (Ramesh Chandak) writes:
> [Gimme definitions for:]
> socketed DIP
> PMMU
> NuBus
> ADB Standard
> SIMM mounted chip

socketed DIP: socketed simply means that the chip is sitting in a socket,
rather than being soldered into the board itself, thereby making removal
easier (not easy - easier). DIP simply means dual-inline-package, or
in other words, two rows of pins -- a chip with two rows of pins (the
most common type). The 68020, '030, '881, '882, and '851 are all "square
chips" (as I call them). They are not DIPs (no pun intended).

PMMU: Paged Memory Management Unit - allows the mac to do virtual memory,
aux, and other neat-o things. Replaces the apple MMU (take off the Paged)
- has all the functions of the Apple MMU, and the ones for paged memory
(virtual and aux).

NuBus: Developed by TI as a self-configuring bus. That's what the cards
in mac II*'s fit in. The SE's have a "half slot." Perhaps someone who
knows the hardware side of the mac better than I could give a better
description of half-slot and nubus (I'm not in a capitalizing mood).

ADB Standard: Apple Desktop Bus. You've got me as to what the standard
part means, though I guess the pinout is a new standard in and of itself
which accessory manufacturers must conform to for compatibility/
functionality.

SIMM mounted chip: Usually RAM (though nowadays also ROM) chip(s) mounted
on a standard SIMM (single inline memory module) board, which fits into
the RAM (and nowadays ROM) slots to hold memory (or ROM).

Any more questions? I hope I've been of service...

Adam
--
"What?! He didn't fall? Inconceivable!"  (email: adam@media-lab.media.mit.edu)
"You keep using that word... I do not think it means what you think it means."