[comp.sys.mac] RReRecRecuRecurRecursRecursiRecursioRecursion on NTSC--->MicroTV

Allon.Stern@SOLARVAX.UMD.EDU (08/25/89)

In Message <580@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> adam@media-lab.media.mit.edu writes:

>No, you're wrong again. Hook a camera (only do this with chip cameras --
>you'll burn tube cameras!) directly to a monitor such that you can see
>realtime movement when you move the camera. Point the camera DIRECTLY at
>the TV. What do you see? Depending upon how your equipment is setup/white
>balanced/etc., you will see one solid color in the monitor (usually white)
>-- feedback. Point the camera at the edges, and you can see neat "recursion".
>The MicroTV/NTSC hacks will give you pure feedback white -- the output of
>the video card will be directly channeled into the MicroTV, resulting in
>uninteresting solid video feedback.

Well, this would be so *IF* the MicroTV filled up the whole screen, but since
it is only in a DA sized window (from what I've heard) the output from the
NTSC hack would consist of your mac screen with a window containing your
mac screen with a window...ad infinitum.  Feedback would not occur.
(at least not in the sense of the screen being a solid color)

                               - -= Allon =- -

   This is a test of the emergency signature system.  Were this an actual
   signature, you would see amusing mottos or edifying philisophical
   statements.  This is only a test.

adam@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Adam Glass) (08/26/89)

Allon.Stern@SOLARVAX.UMD.EDU (he) writes:

> adam@media-lab.media.mit.edu (me) writes:
>
> >The MicroTV/NTSC hacks will give you pure feedback white -- the output of
> >the video card will be directly channeled into the MicroTV, resulting in
> >uninteresting solid video feedback.
>
> Well, this would be so *IF* the MicroTV filled up the whole screen, but since
> it is only in a DA sized window (from what I've heard) the output from the
> NTSC hack would consist of your mac screen with a window containing your
> mac screen with a window...ad infinitum.  Feedback would not occur.
> (at least not in the sense of the screen being a solid color)

OK, you're right, but I still content that it'll look pathetically bad. First,
the uTV (MicroTV, I'm *NOT* typing it out anymore) screen is only 128 plxels
wide (or thereabouts). So it's in about a 1:6 ratio with the the size of the
screen. Compress the screen by a factor of 6. Now compress it by a factor of
6 again (recursion, eh?). It doesn't take too lokg to get an image that is
too small to be seen. So you're really not going to be able to see all this
wonderful recursion... it will only change if you move the uTV window, and
then it will visibly stabilize by the third level of recursion, which
should take considerably less than a second, even with a uTV and Flicker-
Filter slowed down machine.

Fair enough? I tried not to make any pompous statements this time...

Adam
--
"What?! He didn't fall? Inconceivable!"  (email: adam@media-lab.media.mit.edu)
"You keep using that word... I do not think it means what you think it means."