[comp.sys.mac] MacWorld

captkidd@athena.mit.edu (Ivan Cavero Belaunde) (08/16/89)

MacWorld this year: nothing absolutely *dazzling* but a lot of solid products
out there.

1) Apple had (surprisingly) nothing new to say or show.  I guess they expected
	to have the laptop and/or the IIci ready to show there, but it didn't
	happen (a couple of the people in the Apple booth were trying *really*
	hard to look clueless while saying "laptop? which laptop?" :-)

2) LaserMAX had a cheap (performance wise) laser printer: $7995 for 1000x400
	dpi resolution and *astounding* printing speeds (15-20 seconds for
	*complicated* Freehand files [multiple TIFFs+fonts with effects and
	the like]).  They also had Nubus cards that directly control the engine
	on any LW, givin you 600x300 dpi resolution and much faster speeds.
	Very nice products, very friendly people.  I liked it.

2) Color printers were more common than at last year's show.  Most of them
	were the same-old thermal xfer technology.  Like kent@lloyd.uucp
	said, DOW was showing a nice expensive color printer.  I saw a couple
	of the new Kodak continuous tone printers around as well; they print
	on photographic paper and had very nice output.  Finally, Howtek had
	*very* nice printers (for the money) that used a "Thermo-Jet" process
	(ink jet with plastic ink that is melted on the spot).  Some of the
	nicest color output I've seen without any of the glossiness inherent
	in the other printers.  Postscript compatible, too.

3) A new company called Serius had a nice powerful development system.  Very
	visual and object oriented, (you write "objects" for your "project"
	in C or Pascal, then add it).  Spits out standalone applications.
	*Very* nice.  An apple person called it "what HyperCard should have
	been."  I'm not kidding, check it out.

4) Most elegant and cleanest hack of the show:  A company (forget the name)
	which allows you to get color scans out of a grey scale printers by
	placing green, red, and blue high-quality transparent acetate sheets
	over the source material and doing multiple scans, then putting all
	three together in software.  Very neat idea - hope they make much $.

5) SCSI software: LaCie's SilverLining.  Although it has been mentioned in
	the net, I hadn't seen it running yet.  Impressive piece of work.
	True SCSI partitioning and password protection, as well as a number
	of other features (choose among six different drivers to optimize
	performance, depending on your drive and machine, for example).  One
	of the neatest things I saw it do was to "truly" treat three 20M
	drives as a 60M drive.  The price takes it, though: $69.

6) Printers: HP's DeskWriter: outstanding.  Enough has been said in the net
	about this one already, so I'll mention the other two I saw that I
	liked.  GCC's WriteImpact: 360x180 dpi resolution with scalable and
	fully rotatable (1 deg increments) outline fonts and a forecoming
	utility to convert nonencrypted Bitstream and other fonts to the
	GCC format for $699 list (including Times, Helvetica, Courier, Symbol,
	Palatino and some other font I can't remember).  Minor registration
	problems (very hard to notice) which I was told would be solved by
	release time (sometime this fall).  Likewise, Toshiba's line of
	24 pin 360x360 printers (including one in color) include outline font
	technology.  I didn't like the Toshiba's as much, since although their
	resolution is nominally higher, the rendering of the fonts was not
	as smooth.  $699 list for their lowest priced model.

7) Memory everywhere, but nothing cheaper than what you could get mail order
	from Chip Merchant or Tech Works.

8) Really stupid product: Computer Clothes.  "Fashion" computer covers.
	Expensive.

9) Word Processors: Forget Word, I'm getting Nisus.  V2.0 is out, and includes
	the missing pieces people were griping about: footnotes and endnotes.
	It also has hyphenation now.  Very fast.  Now if they just added auto
	numbering and referencing of figures, equations and tables, I'd be
	in heaven.

10) MacroMind Director and Director Interactive.  Director is, like it has
	been said, what VideoWorks should have been.  Director Interactive
	adds most of the interactive abilities of HyperCard to it, as
	well as compatibility with various video overlay boards and what not.
	It was supposed to be a beta version, but I didn't see it crash once
	while I was there.

11) Some company whose name I forgot already had a full-blown audio/video
	editing system based on the Mac II.  They used the Mac to control
	professional videotape recorders and players and had digitized
	frame by frame displays and audio-dub capabilities.  Slick.

12) Electronic Arts had a DMCS-compatible MIDI multi-channel recorder/sequencer
	- it had various editing capabilities as well (transpose, etc).

13) Quark XPress - new version.  Impressive image manipulation capabilites
	(shifting colors to make it warmer/colder, etc).  "Font rendering"
	ie using downloadable fonts' definitions to display them on the
	screen at arbitrary sizes.  Also permitted effects on those fonts
	(stretching and what not).  Columnar linking across pages ("Continued
	on page X") which automatically updated itself.  Much smoother
	image importing and text-wrap-around-image than before.  And *speed*.
	Lots of it.  Extremely fast.  At first I thought it was running on
	an accelerated Mac II, but it was a stock II.

That's about it, though.

Some exciting products, but too much rehashing of older stuff.

Oh well, maybe next year.

-Ivan

Internet: captkidd@athena.mit.edu

) (08/17/89)

In article <13546@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> captkidd@athena.mit.edu (Ivan Cavero Belaunde) writes:
>3) A new company called Serius had a nice powerful development system.  Very
>	visual and object oriented, (you write "objects" for your "project"
>	in C or Pascal, then add it).  Spits out standalone applications.
>	*Very* nice.  An apple person called it "what HyperCard should have
>	been."  I'm not kidding, check it out.

Anyone else knows about this, please post (or e-mail me)
since I'm into getting myself a good development system,
and presently consider Think C 4.0 8MPW ? Say No Go!)

>9) Word Processors: Forget Word, I'm getting Nisus.  V2.0 is out, and includes
>	the missing pieces people were griping about: footnotes and endnotes.
>	It also has hyphenation now.  Very fast.  Now if they just added auto
>	numbering and referencing of figures, equations and tables, I'd be
>	in heaven.

So, soes it have CASE TRANSPOSING ?? This is why I use EMACS. I mean, really.
Case transposing, flashing parentheses and autoindent can be quite nifty
preparing lab reports, novels or letters too, apart from being a must in
any code editor. Does any word processor on the market provide this ?
(Microsoft ? Are you listening ? 8)

And about QUARK Xpress and speed: PageMaker 3.0 is compiled with LSC,
which is not as optimizing as MPW (In fact: not optimizing...) It
might gain being re-compiled in MPW.

But I understand the people at Aldus: LSC is the best environment by far.
(Personal opinion, of course...)

'nuff said. Have a nice evening out or something.

h+@nada.kth.se

--
This is your fortune from h+@nada.kth.se:
Death is Nature's way of saying 'slow down'.

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (08/17/89)

In article <13546@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> captkidd@athena.mit.edu (Ivan Cavero Belaunde) writes:
[...]

>6) Printers: HP's DeskWriter: outstanding.  Enough has been said in the net
>	about this one already, so I'll mention the other two I saw that I
>	liked.  GCC's WriteImpact: 360x180 dpi resolution with scalable and
>	fully rotatable (1 deg increments) outline fonts and a forecoming
>	utility to convert nonencrypted Bitstream and other fonts to the
>	GCC format for $699 list (including Times, Helvetica, Courier, Symbol,
>	Palatino and some other font I can't remember).  Minor registration
>	problems (very hard to notice) which I was told would be solved by
[...]

Really?  What was the print technology on the WriteImpact.  Can I assume from the
name that it's a really high-resolution dot-matrix??  I was all convinced that I
wanted to buy a DeskWriter, but now I'm not so sure...  Anybody else see it?  Any
ideas?  Are you wondering why this message is rambling?  (Simple:  the mailer on
media-lab is stupid.  If you include more text than you compose, it rejects the
message.  So in an attempt (?) to cut down on use of the bandwidth, they actually
increase it when you need to include large files. :-(  Any fixes, anyone?  (I'll
be talking to someone here about it soon, but if there's a command I'm missing,
yell))

--Mike

Standard disclaimers...

peter@aucs.uucp (Peter Steele) (08/17/89)

> So, soes it have CASE TRANSPOSING ?? This is why I use EMACS. I mean, really.
> Case transposing, flashing parentheses and autoindent can be quite nifty
> preparing lab reports, novels or letters too, apart from being a must in
> any code editor. Does any word processor on the market provide this ?
> (Microsoft ? Are you listening ? 8)

If I was to choose a word processor, case transposing would not be high
on my list of requirements. It's something I need occassionally, but
certainly can live without it. Autoindent can be achieved very easily
in Word using the left hand indent. I think one has to be careful
in comparing a wordprocessor to a program editor. I can't imagine
that EMACS would make a very good wordprocessor, but it's probably
an acceptable program editor. The requirements of the two types of
editors are simply different.

--
Peter Steele, Microcomputer Applications Analyst
Acadia University, Wolfville, NS, Canada B0P1X0 (902)542-2201x121

) (08/17/89)

In article <1989Aug17.113507.11903@aucs.uucp> peter@aucs.uucp (Peter Steele) writes:
[ Commenting on my previous posting ]
>If I was to choose a word processor, case transposing would not be high
>on my list of requirements. It's something I need occassionally, but
>certainly can live without it. Autoindent can be achieved very easily
>in Word using the left hand indent. I think one has to be careful

Actually, the autoindent I want can NOT be achieved using rulers in WORD
or any other WP program. And case transposal is something I would REALLY
like to have. Just my taste, your obviously varies.

>in comparing a wordprocessor to a program editor. I can't imagine
>that EMACS would make a very good wordprocessor, but it's probably

Actually, it can be. Especially if you re-hacked it just a little to
handle style sheets and proportional spacing... A fast LISP machine
should handle it real smooth...

>an acceptable program editor. The requirements of the two types of
>editors are simply different.

To quote the song playing on MTv right now: I want it all (and I want
it now)

I do a lot of typing AND coding, and switching editors and missing
features in one that are available in another is a pain in the #ss.
That's my opinion. Anyone cares to mail me their suggestion of the
ultimate text input/edit program is welcome!

h+@nada.kth.se

--
This is your fortune from h+@nada.kth.se:
Going the speed of light is bad for your age.

captkidd@athena.mit.edu (Ivan Cavero Belaunde) (08/18/89)

In article <501@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Michael J Kobb) writes:
:In article <13546@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> captkidd@athena.mit.edu (Ivan Cavero Belaunde) writes:
::6) Printers: HP's DeskWriter: outstanding.  Enough has been said in the net
::	about this one already, so I'll mention the other two I saw that I
::	liked.  GCC's WriteImpact: 360x180 dpi resolution with scalable and
:                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
:
:Really?  What was the print technology on the WriteImpact.  Can I assume from
:the name that it's a really high-resolution dot-matrix??

It was 24-pin dot matrix.  It was not quite as nice as ther DeskWriter.  The
main problems were that (a) the quality decreased as the ribbon got older
(there didn't seem to be a problem like that with the DW - probably due to
ink cartridge technology);  (b) The registration problem I mentioned earlier:
the output resulting from different passes of the printhead were slightly off
from each other.  Like I said, I was told it would be solved by release time.

:I was all convinced that I wanted to buy a DeskWriter, but now I'm not so
:sure...  Anybody else see it?  Any ideas?

Well, the reason I liked it was that it was significantly cheaper than the
DeskWriter.  Remember, it *lists* for $699 (cheaper than the *street* prices
we've seen for the DW so far), so it's street price should be ~$400.  That's
a decent savings for what you give up in the DW: Better quality and quiet
operation.  I figure not everybody has $750-$800 to dish out on a printer;
$400?  That's a different market.

:Are you wondering why this message is rambling?  (Simple:  the mailer on
:media-lab is stupid.  If you include more text than you compose, it rejects
:the message.  So in an attempt (?) to cut down on use of the bandwidth, they
:actually increase it when you need to include large files. :-(  Any fixes,
:anyone?  (I'll be talking to someone here about it soon, but if there's a
:command I'm missing, yell))

A nice way to solve it (at least it works on my poster):  Use the emacs
replace-string command to replace all accurrences of > with : (like in this
message).  I don't use that feature that often, but it's useful enough.
I tried the "line fodder" method once but the poster's smart enough to notice
that, and I got chided for being naughty :-).

-Ivan

Internet: captkidd@athena.mit.edu

Disclaimer: I have no relation to GCC Technologies, except that I like their
		printers.

frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) (08/21/89)

In article <13546@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> captkidd@athena.mit.edu (Ivan Cavero Belaunde) writes:

>6) Printers: HP's DeskWriter: outstanding.  Enough has been said in the net
>	about this one already, so I'll mention the other two I saw that I
>	liked.  ...

I'm still waiting for 400dpi (or greater) PostScript-driven laser printers.
Any news on that front?

--
Frank Kolnick,
consulting for, and therefore expressing opinions independent of, Computer X

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (08/22/89)

In article <5061@mnetor.UUCP> frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) writes:

>I'm still waiting for 400dpi (or greater) PostScript-driven laser printers.
>Any news on that front?

Check the most recent MacUser.  They reviewed PostScript laser printers, and
there were a few that were greater-than-300dpi resolution.  Or, there's
always a NeXT machine....  :-)

--Mike

Disclaimer: I think that disclaimers are an incredibly sad statement about our
society.  Nonetheless, nothing that I say can or should be construed as having
been said by anyone.  Ever.

frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) (08/22/89)

In article <550@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Michael J Kobb) writes:
>In article <5061@mnetor.UUCP> frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) writes:
>
>>I'm still waiting for 400dpi (or greater) PostScript-driven laser printers.
>>Any news on that front?
>
>Check the most recent MacUser.  They reviewed PostScript laser printers, and
>there were a few that were greater-than-300dpi resolution.  Or, there's
>always a NeXT machine....  :-)

Yes, I had read that. MacUser reviews two 'printers' with >400dpi
resolution. I put that in quotes because they're really low-end
typesetters (or like to advertise themselves that way), at a cost
3 - 4 times that of a 300dpi printer. (In addition, the Varityper
*requires* a maintenance contract at about $4,000 CDN a year.
From other reviews I've read, it needs it.) So, I'm still hoping
for a >300dpi printer at < $5,000. Sigh. (Still remembering the
magazine articles promising a flood of 600dpi printers two
years ago :-) I phoned Agfa-Compugraphic, btw, and was told that
their 'printer' wouldn't be available until the fall; they couldn't
send me any information or give me a price.

--

gelphman@adobe.COM (David Gelphman) (08/24/89)

In article <5061@mnetor.UUCP> frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) writes:
>I'm still waiting for 400dpi (or greater) PostScript-driven laser printers.
>Any news on that front?
>Frank Kolnick,

   There are several models with currently two manufacturers offering
such printers.

Agfa P400 PS  18 ppm      406 dpi
Agfa P3400 PS 12 ppm      400 dpi
Varityper VT600-P  10 ppm   600 dpi
Varityper VT600-W  10 ppm   600 dpi   allows 11x17 paper

The NeXT cube together with their laser printer can print
at 400 dpi also.

Please contact these companies if you need further information on
their products.

Hope this helps,
David Gelphman
Adobe Systems Incorporated

captkidd@athena.mit.edu (Ivan Cavero Belaunde) (08/26/89)

In article <5061@mnetor.UUCP> frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) writes:
>I'm still waiting for 400dpi (or greater) PostScript-driven laser printers.
>Any news on that front?

Well, in the MacWorld Expo report I posted, I mentioned a company called
LaserMAX, which was displaying a number of new products.  First, it had
3 Nubus boards which attach to a LaserWriter (any model) and drives the
engine directly, providing 600x300 dpi resolution and *much* faster
performance.  The 3 models vary in the amount of on-board memory (2M, 4M,
and 6M), which then affects processing speed.  It basically had an optimized
Postscript-compatible Raster Image Processor (RIP) on the board, and the
more memory it has to work with, the faster it goes.  The boards were fairly
steep, but if you need it, it's there.  The other product was the big one,
though.  They had a laser printer (they called it a typesetter, because of
the printout quality and speed) with an optimized RIP much like the one
on the boards which had 1000x400 dpi output resolution and ~15 sec/page for
*very* complicated printouts (multiple tiff files and stuff).  I am not
positive about this, but I think it was also connected through the Nubus
(for high-speed data transfer, possibly).  The price was reasonable for
the level of performance it provided: $7999.

frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) (08/26/89)

In article <13822@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> captkidd@athena.mit.edu (Ivan Cavero Belaunde) writes:
>In article <5061@mnetor.UUCP> frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) writes:
>>I'm still waiting for 400dpi (or greater) PostScript-driven laser printers.
>>Any news on that front?
>
>Well, in the MacWorld Expo report I posted, I mentioned a company called
>LaserMAX, which was displaying a number of new products.  First, it had
>3 Nubus boards which attach to a LaserWriter (any model) and drives the
>engine directly, providing 600x300 dpi resolution and *much* faster
>performance.  The 3 models vary in the amount of on-board memory (2M, 4M,
>and 6M), which then affects processing speed.  It basically had an optimized
>Postscript-compatible Raster Image Processor (RIP) on the board, ...

I remember your review, and I didn't think you mentioned PostScript
compatibility. From a brief 'new products' review I read, LaserMAX
is really LaserMaster, who makes a similar product for the PC and
regularly places obnoxious ads aimed at John Warnock (Adobe Systems).
The PC version of the board uses Bitstream fonts, and the magazine
article didn't mention PS-compatibility. I'm also pretty sure the LaserMAX
ad I read (but no longer have) didn't mention it. Sorry to be long-
winded about this, but if the LaserMAX stuff really can upgrade my
LaserWriter, I'll be happy. But my question is: are you sure?