[comp.sys.mac] INITs clear screen: can this be stopped?

peter@aucs.uucp (Peter Steele) (08/21/89)

When I boot my mac II, my startup screen appears for only a few seconds
as one of my first inits clears the screen. I believe the culprit is
Gatekeeper, but it depends on whether an INIT clears the screen before
or after it displays its icon. Is there anyway to stop this behaviour?

--
Peter Steele, Microcomputer Applications Analyst
Acadia University, Wolfville, NS, Canada B0P1X0 (902)542-2201x121

chrisj@ut-emx.UUCP (Chris Johnson) (08/22/89)

In article <1989Aug21.113301.4620@aucs.uucp> peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) writes:
>When I boot my mac II, my startup screen appears for only a few seconds
>as one of my first inits clears the screen. I believe the culprit is
>Gatekeeper, but it depends on whether an INIT clears the screen before
>or after it displays its icon. Is there anyway to stop this behaviour?
>
>--
>Peter Steele, Microcomputer Applications Analyst

Whoa, there!  GateKeeper is NOT responsible for any screen clearing that
takes place!  (Trust me, I wrote it... :-)  The most common culprits are
Apple's INITs, specifically AppleShare and Responder (Easy Access is not
a problem).

The solution is relatively straightforward; just rename the
offending INITs so that their names are preceeded by two spaces.  This
guarantees that they'll install well before all of your other INITs
(including GateKeeper) and, as a result, (although they will still clear the
screen) they won't erase anyone's startup icons.

Note that it's OK too rename AppleShare, but don't rename your "AppleShare
Prep" file or, I suspect, AppleShare won't be able to find it anymore.

I hope this helps,
----Chris (Johnson)
----Author of GateKeeper

P.S. Does everyone out there have GateKeeper version 1.1.1?

captkidd@athena.mit.edu (Ivan Cavero Belaunde) (08/23/89)

In article <17474@ut-emx.UUCP> chrisj@emx.UUCP (Chris Johnson) writes:
>Note that it's OK too rename AppleShare, but don't rename your "AppleShare
>Prep" file or, I suspect, AppleShare won't be able to find it anymore.

Well, from since there's all this talk of throwing away (Easy Access) and
renaming (AppleShare) Apple's system-supplied INITs, there's a minor problem.
If you run installer from your HD and to try to create a bootable floppy, it
looks for a number of files in your system folder, as well as a number of
DAs and Fonts in your system file.  If they're not there, the Installer will
refuse to install the system on the floppy.

It's not as simple as just copying a folder to the floppy with a system file
and calling the folder "System Folder," either.  The folder must be "blessed"
as well.

When I don't want INITs to run but they're Apple supplied INITs, I just
disable them using INIT cdev.  That way, the Installer still works when
necessary.

Of course, you can always run Installer off a floppy, but then the disk
swapping gets *annoying* like all hell if you have a single drive.  Why
should I be doing the floppy shuffle if I have a goddam hard drive anyway?

-Ivan

Internet: captkidd@athena.mit.edu

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (08/23/89)

In article <13721@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> captkidd@athena.mit.edu (Ivan Cavero Belaunde) writes:
>In article <17474@ut-emx.UUCP> chrisj@emx.UUCP (Chris Johnson) writes:
>>Note that it's OK too rename AppleShare, but don't rename your "AppleShare
>>Prep" file or, I suspect, AppleShare won't be able to find it anymore.
>
>Well, from since there's all this talk of throwing away (Easy Access) and
>renaming (AppleShare) Apple's system-supplied INITs, there's a minor problem.
>If you run installer from your HD and to try to create a bootable floppy, it
>looks for a number of files in your system folder, as well as a number of
>DAs and Fonts in your system file.  If they're not there, the Installer will
>refuse to install the system on the floppy.
[...]
>When I don't want INITs to run but they're Apple supplied INITs, I just
>disable them using INIT cdev.  That way, the Installer still works when
>necessary.

Yep, that's true.  I had the same problem the other day when trying to run
Installer to make a friend a system disk for his 2-floppy Plus.  Installer is
really annoying about stuff like that, and the way it deals with a single
floppy system is really unforgiveable (although doesn't it mention that it
requires two floppies somewhere?).

I remember hearing about another init manager (I think either MacWorld or Mac-
User did a review of these things recently) that also allowed you to change
the _order_ in which the inits were executed.  I don't think it was free, but
it may have been cheap.  This would solve the problem without renaming or dis-
abling any of the inits in the System.

--Mike

Disclaimer: I think that disclaimers are an incredibly sad statement about our
society.  Nonetheless, nothing that I say can or should be construed as having
been said by anyone.  Ever.

pasek@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Michael A. Pasek) (08/24/89)

In article <17474@ut-emx.UUCP> chrisj@emx.UUCP (Chris Johnson) writes:
>In article <1989Aug21.113301.4620@aucs.uucp> peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) writes:
>>When I boot my mac II, my startup screen appears for only a few seconds...
>>[remainder deleted]
>The solution is relatively straightforward; just rename the
>offending INITs so that their names are preceeded by two spaces......

I've solvd this problem by renaming "AppleShare" to "ZAppleShare", which
ensures that it will be the last INIT to get control at Startup (which gives
me plenty of time to read the text on my "Bill the Cat" StartupScreen).  The
only thing you have to watch out for is if you have to re-install the
AppleShare client software.....trash "ZAppleShare" first.

M. A. Pasek          Switching Software Development         NCR Comten, Inc.
(612) 638-7668              CNG Development               2700 N. Snelling Ave.
pasek@c10sd3.StPaul.NCR.COM                               Roseville, MN  55113

truesdel@ics.uci.edu (Scott Truesdell) (08/26/89)

INITPicker by Microseeds is a great INIT/cdev for managing INITs.
Version 2, due shortly, should be even better, as it has a special
"bomb protection" feature where is senses an INIT conflict and will
not load the INIT which would cause the bomb. This is, of course,
only a partial solution because the conflict could be caused by
something else entirely. Still, it is a great product. version 2
will also let you name several INIT sets which can be assigned a
character so that when you boot you can load a particular set of INITs
by holding down the character. For example, a minimal set of INITs
might be named "minimal" and have a keyboard equivalent of "m".

INITPicker allows the reordering of INITs without renaming them. The
user interface is completely intuitive and fast.

I have no affiliation with Microseeds except I think that the product is
so indispensable that it should be Apple system software.

  --scott

--
Scott Truesdell

arie@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Arie Covrigaru) (08/27/89)

In article <21658@paris.ics.uci.edu> truesdel@ics.uci.edu (Scott Truesdell) writes:

>INITPicker by Microseeds is a great INIT/cdev for managing INITs.

I tried INITPicker and found two caveats:

1. Since it doesn't change the type of those files that are disabled, the
   control panel will still show a cdev that was actually not loaded.

2. Compare to the init manager "init cdve 2.0" it takes much more time to
   load at startup.

Having those two disadvantages, the only advantage over the free "init cdev 2.0"
is that it can control the order in which INITs/CDEVs are loaded.  This doesn't
seem to be a good enough reason to charge money for such a utility when a
comparable free utility exists.

Arie Covrigaru
Cognitive Science and Machine Intelligence Laboratory, University of Michigan