[comp.sys.mac] Macintosh

fgz@lakart.UUCP (Federico Genoese-Zerbi) (02/28/89)

Does anybody know of a compiler I could use on my Mac II to develop
code for an 8086 based machine?  I also need a prom burner for it...Does
anyone know of a good one to use on the Mac II?

Thanks in advance.
Federico Genoese-Zerbi
{mirror, xait, cfisun}!lakart!fgz

rc05@GTE.COM (Ramesh Chandak) (08/22/89)

I would like to know whether a Macintosh II has an off-screen capability... if
yes, can one control the movement of the mouse on that screen... can that
screen be displayed on a monitor other than the one normally attached to the
mac ? if yes, any suggestions how one can achieve this ? Thanx in advance.

rc05@GTE.COM (Ramesh Chandak) (08/26/89)

What does the term "SCSI" in context of Macintosh computers imply ?

dorourke@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (David M. O'Rourke) (08/26/89)

rc05@GTE.COM (Ramesh Chandak) writes:
>What does the term "SCSI" in context of Macintosh computers imply ?

  SCSI stands for Small Computer System Interface.  It is a reasonably
standard protocol for interfacing "high-speed" devices to the Macintosh
or other computers.  It allows for up to 7 devices to be daisy-chained off
of a single bus.  All macintosh computer from the mac plus on up come
standard with a "SCSI port".

  It's uses are too numerous to mention but here is a partial list.  Most of
these products are end use, i.e. plug and play devices.
  Hard Disks
  CD Rom players
  WORM Drives
  Optical Drives
  SCSI -> Ethernet
  ImageScanners
  Printers
  Data sampler's
  etc..

  I hope this helps.
--
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\|/////////////////////////////////////////
David M. O'Rourke____________________|_____________dorourke@polyslo.calpoly.edu

In article <7470@bunny.GTE.COM> rc05@GTE.COM (Ramesh Chandak) writes:
>What does the term "SCSI" in context of Macintosh computers imply ?

The same thing it means in the context of other computers. :-)

SCSI is an acronym for Small Computer System Interface.  It's an
industry standard interface between small computers (PCs and
workstations) and high-speed peripherals (disks, tape drives, etc.).

Barry Margolin
Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar

adam@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Adam Glass) (08/26/89)

barmar@think.COM (Barry Margolin) writes:
> rc05@GTE.COM (Ramesh Chandak) writes:
> >What does the term "SCSI" in context of Macintosh computers imply ?
>
> The same thing it means in the context of other computers. :-)
>
> SCSI is an acronym for Small Computer System Interface.  It's an
> industry standard interface between small computers (PCs and
> workstations) and high-speed peripherals (disks, tape drives, etc.).

Except that Apple SCSI != standard SCSI (by the way, SCSI is pronounced
"scuzzy" - people who pronounce it "sexy" are maladjusted dweebs. "DUCK!
FLAMES!"). Anyway, for some reason or another, but perhaps just the fact
that They Are Apple, Apple decided to implement a nonstandard SCSI cable.
Maybe it was faster, maybe because it was smaller (25 pins instead of the
standard 50, which would have taken more space on the mac of the machine,
or maybe just because They Are Apple, the nonstandard interface was
implemented -- I don't know the reasons exactly.

Jus' hopin' to 'ave been of s'rvice.

Adam (don't ask me to explain what those "'"'s are about. It's too late).
--
"What?! He didn't fall? Inconceivable!"  (email: adam@media-lab.media.mit.edu)
"You keep using that word... I do not think it means what you think it means."

In article <607@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> adam@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Adam Glass) writes:
>Apple decided to implement a nonstandard SCSI cable.

Big deal.  If the only difference is the cable (assuming that no more
than 25 of the 50 lines in a SCSI connection are currently used), then
a converter cable allows you to connect a Mac to a standard SCSI
device or an Apple SCSI device to a non-Apple computer.  The important
feature of an interface standard is the protocol spoken over the
cable.  When Macs first started including SCSI I recall hearing that
there was something non-standard about their protocol implementation,
but I haven't heard mention of this in a while.

Barry Margolin
Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar

hoffman@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (08/28/89)

Check out a product called 'Timbuktu'.  It allows one Mac to control another
Mac from the first one.  Screen, Mouse and everything else (exect disk
inserts of course).

Steve
	|    Steve M. Hoffman    |    email: hoffman@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu     |
	| University of Illinois | internet: hoffman%ux1@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu |
	|    Champaign/Urbana    |     uucp: uunet!uiucuxc!ux1!hoffman    |
	|________________________|   usmail: 515 Bach Ct. #24             |
	| I haven't a clue what  |           Champaign, IL 61820          |
	|     I'm doing here     |           (217)/359-7448               |