[comp.sys.mac] MacWeek waiting period

jdsb@occrsh.ATT.COM (John_Babcock) (08/23/89)

     I got a postcard back from MacWeek that I do not understand.

"Your MacWeek application has been processed and your name has been
added to the current waiting list to receive MacWeek."

     Does this mean my application has been accepted?  Why do they have
a waiting period?  Do they have a set number of readers or do are they
waiting to increase production on the next issue?  (Just for little 'ol
me? gosh! :-)  I would appreciate anyone sheading some light.  Thanks!

     Please respond by mail if you think others are not interested.
* John Babcock           att!occrsh!jdsb
* AT&T Network Systems   jdsb@occrsh.att.com
* Oklahoma City, OK      Disclaimer:  I speak on my own, not as AT&T.

sharon@asylum.SF.CA.US (Sharon Fisher) (08/28/89)

In article <855@occrsh.ATT.COM> jdsb@occrsh.ATT.COM (John_Babcock) writes:

>     I got a postcard back from MacWeek that I do not understand.
>
>"Your MacWeek application has been processed and your name has been
>added to the current waiting list to receive MacWeek."
>
>     Does this mean my application has been accepted?  Why do they have
>a waiting period?  Do they have a set number of readers or do are they
>waiting to increase production on the next issue?  (Just for little 'ol
>me? gosh! :-)  I would appreciate anyone sheading some light.  Thanks!

MacWeek is what's called a controlled circulation book.  It's free.
What it's paid by is ads.  Advertising rates are partially determined
by circulation.  In other words, ads in a magazine with 200,000
subscribers cost more than ads in comparable magazines with 100,000
subscribers.  And if a magazine's circulation goes up enough, they
have to raise their rates.  (I'm not sure why this is, but I got the
impression that they really do *have* to.)

Now.  You have qualified for a subscription.  But MacWeek is already
fully subscribed to.  Two things can happens:  They can increase their
circulation by n, in which case the next n people on the list get
subscriptions.  Or they can purge their circulation, in which they
rank their subscribers by desired characteristics (such as how many
Macs they buy) and then drop off the lowest n people, in which case
again the next n people on the list get it.

Hope this helps.

--
"Goldfish are quiet, under the water.
"Girls who keep goldfish are sometimes quite loud."

David.Bolduc@f54.n382.z1.FIDONET.ORG (David Bolduc) (08/28/89)

I think it means that your application has been accepted. I got the same
to put you on the mailing list.

--
David Bolduc via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!382!54!David.Bolduc