[comp.sys.mac] Phone Ring Detection

nopuklic@ndsuvax.UUCP (Blayne Puklich) (08/27/89)

Does anyone know of an application/cdev/INIT/DA/whatever which will either
inverse the menu bar or somehow flash the screen when the phone rings?  I
have this habit of programming or writing while listening to deafening
music through headphones, so I can't hear the phone ring.  I can see it
using a terminal emulation application, but the little "RING" messages
I don't see.  Something that possibly deaf people may use could be helpful.

I have two Macs networked side-by-side, so it doesn't have to run in the
background.  I sure would appreciate any ideas on how to get a visual
response to phone ringing that I could notice out of the corner of my eye.
I don't really want to write one; anything already available would be
best.  Thanks for any help.

||+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++||
|| Blayne Puklich      nopuklic@Plains.NoDak.EDU  "I think I'm going       ||
|| NDSU Student ACM    nopuklic@ndsuvax.BITNET          bald..."           ||
|| Vice-Chairperson    NU087763@NDSUVM1.BITNET     -- Rush, from Caress    ||
|| North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND           of Steel, 1975       ||
|| (701) 237-4408                                                          ||
||          "Corvettes are the best thing man has ever invented."          ||
||-------------------------------------------------------------------------||

emuroga@m.cs.uiuc.edu (08/28/89)

/* Written  5:51 pm  Aug 26, 1989 by nopuklic@ndsuvax.UUCP in m.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.mac */
/* ---------- "Phone Ring Detection" ---------- */

[...]

/* End of text from m.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.mac */

Attach plastic explosive to the phone ringer leads....

 ...ok, not such a good idea..;-) I have seen phones with a light that flashes
along with the ringer. Maybe Radio Shack might even have separate flashing-
light ringers. This would work even if your computer wasn't on...you could
set the light on your desk by your monitor.

Eisuke Muroga
Department of Computer Science                |    1304 W. Springfield Ave.
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign    |    Urbana, IL  61801

ARPA		emuroga@m.cs.uiuc.edu
CSNET		emuroga@uiuc.csnet
USENET		uiucdcs!uiucdcsm!emuroga
BITNET		emuroga%m.cs.uiuc.edu@uiucvmd.bitnet

adam@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Adam Glass) (08/29/89)

In article <8400152@m.cs.uiuc.edu>, emuroga@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
> Does anyone know of an application/cdev/INIT/DA/whatever which will either
> inverse the menu bar or somehow flash the screen when the phone rings?

Perhaps this was discussed already, perhaps not. One was just posted to
the mac-binaries newsgroup, but, I might add, it doesn't work on my II/
PM2400SA setup. Perhaps there's an INIT conflict, but I'm not so sure...

*I'd* really like one too. If anyone has a *working* phone ring detecter
(in software -- I know I can go to Radio Shack and get a "Fone Flasher" --
that's not what I want (it's too easy)).

Adam
--
"He didn't fall? Inconceivable!"  Internet email: adam@media-lab.media.mit.edu
"You keep using that word... I do not think it means what you think it means."