[comp.sys.mac] Bibliographic Database

dencisco@eos.UUCP (David Paul Encisco) (08/25/89)

I'm looking for a Mac bibliographic database to take the place of our
pre-existing Unix database. We need a fairly sophisticated database
which would allow us to sort any of the fields, easy to import/export,
user friendly so that any of our researchers (and assistants) can
easily access the data input level. We have looked at EndNote and
find that its too simplistic for our needs. Does anyone have any
suggestions regarding bibliographic software for Macs?

Thanks,
Dave

dencisco@eos.arc.nasa.gov
or
dpencisco@ames.arc.nasa.gov

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (08/25/89)

In article <4851@eos.UUCP> dencisco@eos.UUCP (David Paul Encisco) writes:
> I'm looking for a Mac bibliographic database to take the place of our
> pre-existing Unix database. [...] We have looked at EndNote and
> find that its too simplistic for our needs.

	I'm curious, what do you want to do that EndNote won't let you?  I
havn't actually used EndNote, but was very impressed with the demo version.
We make extensive use of bib on our unix systems and the lack of bib
fuctionality on the Mac has been the biggest reason we havn't switched to
macs for most of our word processing.  EndNote was obviously designed by
somebody who was used to using bib and/or refer.  We are on the verge of
making a serious investment in EndNote (i.e. many copies) and would
appreciate hearing about why that might be a mistake before we go ahead and
plunk down our money.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
{att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy -or- roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu
"The connector is the network"

man@brunix (Mark H. Nodine) (08/26/89)

I have a shareware package called WordRef which keeps a bibliographic
database in HyperCard and can do automatic generation of references from
Word documents using the Print Merge facility.  It has been posted to
sumex and I have also sent a copy to comp.binaries.mac, although it
has not appeared yet.  Here's the description of it:

Here is an application and HyperCard stack I developed for producing cross-
references and bibliographies using Word 3/4.  It is yet another facility
which uses the Print Merge facility of Word, but I have tried to do it in
a way which is more general than any of the systems which preceded me, so
that it should be able to handle virtually any cross-referencing and
bibliography needs.  It is a ShareWare package and may be distributed
not-for-profit as long as the application, stack, and document are all
kept together.

Some of the features are:

        o No limit on the number of counters (variables) used for cross-