[comp.sys.mac] INITPicker, etc.

svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) (08/28/89)

In article <257@zip.eecs.umich.edu> arie@dip.eecs.umich.edu.UUCP (Arie Covrigaru) writes:
>In article <21658@paris.ics.uci.edu> truesdel@ics.uci.edu (Scott Truesdell) writes:
>>
>>INITPicker by Microseeds is a great INIT/cdev for managing INITs.
>>

>I tried INITPicker and found two caveats:
>
>1. Since it doesn't change the type of those files that are disabled, the
>   control panel will still show a cdev that was actually not loaded.

	Personally this is a MUCH better method of implementing support for
Init Management than the file type changing for a couple of reasons. 1) I get
to keep my Icons on the desktop, 2) I can change values in the cdev's BEFORE I
reboot and then have to change and reboot AGAIN, and 3) less chance of things
breaking in the future when Apple changes the rules.

>2. Compare to the init manager "init cdve 2.0" it takes much more time to
>   load at startup.

	This is only true if you have it AutoScan on load.  If you turn this
preference off, than it is FASTER than InitCdev since it DOES NOT scan the
system folder AT ALL.

>Having those two disadvantages, the only advantage over the free "init cdev 2.0
>is that it can control the order in which INITs/CDEVs are loaded.
	You also forgot that you have a number of preferences that can be
changed about the operation of the product (which init cdev does not) and even
more importantly, you have support!  If you should find any problems with the
product, or have questions/comments/suggestions, MicroSeeds has a phone number
where you can call and get this support (the author is also on the net so you
can send him mail directly).

(I am not trying to put down Init cdev, as it have used it in the past and find
it to be an EXCELLENT product - I simply want to pseudo-flame this previous
poster for his comments and to correct errors.)

> This doesn't seem to be a good enough reason to charge money for such a
>utility when a comparable free utility exists.

	Then don't buy it!  No one is forcing you to buy InitPicker or any
of the other commercial products.  If you like AppleDraw better than MacDraw,
don't buy MacDraw, etc.  I have seen people charge for products MUCH LESSS
useful and supported than INITPicker....

	I should also comment that as Scott pointed out previously version 2.0
of INITPicker has some REALLY nice new features such as sets and 'crash guard'
and other things on the way...

Disclaimer: I am friends with the author of INITPicker (and Inix, AASK, etc.)
and have used all of these products at some point as well as helped testing
them during development.

Leonard Rosenthol        |  GEnie : MACgician
Lazerware, inc.          |  MacNet: MACgician
UUCP: svc@well.UUCP      |  ALink : D0025

arie@zip.eecs.umich.edu (Arie Covrigaru) (08/28/89)

cs.umich.edu> <13363@well.UUCP>

In article <13363@well.UUCP> svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) writes:
>>1. Since it doesn't change the type of those files that are disabled, the
>>   control panel will still show a cdev that was actually not loaded.
>>
>       Personally this is a MUCH better method of implementing support for
>Init Management than the file type changing for a couple of reasons. 1) I get
>to keep my Icons on the desktop, 2) I can change values in the cdev's BEFORE I
>reboot and then have to change and reboot AGAIN, and 3) less chance of things
>breaking in the future when Apple changes the rules.

I had no intention of starting an argument here but I believe that the net
is for people to give their opinions about products that we use (or try to
use).

But to the point: Personally, I find it disturbing to have so many icons
in the Control Panel when some of them are not loaded.  Now of course I
could remove them from the System Folder but then what is the point of having
something like INITPicker in the first place?  Some CDEVs won't even let you
change the settings if their INIT is not loaded.  It is true that breaking
the rules can cause problems in future systems and I am not saying that
the way init cdev 2.0 is doing it is the best way, it is just that as it is
the end result is that I don't get those icons in the Control Panel and I like
it this way.

>>2. Compare to the init manager "init cdve 2.0" it takes much more time to
>>   load at startup.
>>
>       This is only true if you have it AutoScan on load.  If you turn this
>preference off, than it is FASTER than InitCdev since it DOES NOT scan the
>system folder AT ALL.

As far as I understood, if the system is not scanned at start up then I
won't get an updated list of all the INITs/CDEVs I actually have in the
system Folder when I open INITPicker.  If this isn't true,  please correct me.

>>Having those two disadvantages, the only advantage over the free "init cdev 2.
0
>>is that it can control the order in which INITs/CDEVs are loaded.
>       You also forgot that you have a number of preferences that can be
>changed about the operation of the product (which init cdev does not) and even
>more importantly, you have support!  If you should find any problems with the
>product, or have questions/comments/suggestions, MicroSeeds has a phone number
>where you can call and get this support (the author is also on the net so you
>can send him mail directly).

Yes, you do have support for INITPicker if you need it, I won't argue with
that.  For me this is not a consideration when choosing such a utility. Its

>(I am not trying to put down Init cdev, as it have used it in the past and find
>it to be an EXCELLENT product - I simply want to pseudo-flame this previous
>poster for his comments and to correct errors.)
>
>> This doesn't seem to be a good enough reason to charge money for such a
>>utility when a comparable free utility exists.
>>
>       Then don't buy it!  No one is forcing you to buy InitPicker or any
>of the other commercial products.  If you like AppleDraw better than MacDraw,
>don't buy MacDraw, etc.  I have seen people charge for products MUCH LESSS
>useful and supported than INITPicker....

Indeed, I returned the product immediately (thanks to the great policy of
MacConnection and the companies that participate in the money back
grantee program).  This doesn't stop me from passing my experience to
other interested parties, as long as it is sincere and with no hidden
intentions.

>       I should also comment that as Scott pointed out previously version 2.0
>of INITPicker has some REALLY nice new features such as sets and 'crash guard'
>and other things on the way...

The fact that I tried INITPicker in the first place when I have init cdev 2.0
is because I think that init cdev 2.0 doesn't have all the features I would
like to see in such a tool.  I hope that INITPicker 2.0 will indeed be good
enough and I will probably try it again.

>Disclaimer: I am friends with the author of INITPicker (and Inix, AASK, etc.)
>and have used all of these products at some point as well as helped testing
>them during development.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with any of the companies mentioned above
by myself or by Leonard Rosenthol.

hoofb@psueea.uucp (Bruce Hoof) (08/29/89)

In article <269@zip.eecs.umich.edu> arie@zip.eecs.umich.edu (Arie Covrigaru) writes:
>In article <13363@well.UUCP> svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) writes:
>>>1. Since it doesn't change the type of those files that are disabled, the
>>>   control panel will still show a cdev that was actually not loaded.
>>>
>>       Personally this is a MUCH better method of implementing support for
>>Init Management than the file type changing for a couple of reasons. 1) I get
>>to keep my Icons on the desktop, 2) I can change values in the cdev's BEFORE I
>>reboot and then have to change and reboot AGAIN, and 3) less chance of things
>>breaking in the future when Apple changes the rules.
>>
>I had no intention of starting an argument here but I believe that the net
>is for people to give their opinions about products that we use (or try to
>use).
>
>But to the point: Personally, I find it disturbing to have so many icons
>in the Control Panel when some of them are not loaded.  Now of course I

	I had this exact same problem, Having the non-active CDEV's come
up when I select the control panel.  I did not mind all those CDEV's in the
control panel but I did mind the clutter of Icons that I had to go
through to get to the one I wanted.  Recently I have discovered
"cdev shrinker" by John Rotenstein.  It changes the control panel to replace
the icons with the cdev's title.  The upshot is you are able to see about
24 cdev's without scrolling the list.  Click on the one you want and you
are there.  No more endless scrolling to sellect the one you want.
You still have to wait for the control panel to find all the cdev's before
it comes up.
The same guy wrote "Nothing" recently posted on the net.  It might be
queued up to go on comp.binaries.mac.  Care to coment, moderater?

Just thought you would like to know.
Bruce

DISCLAIMER: I am not attached to any organization.  I am just a poor student
		getting through school. Hopefully soon.