[comp.sys.mac] Macro Maker and MultiFinder

ccw@nvuxr.UUCP (christopher wood) (08/22/89)

Hello, all!

  For all the bad talk it's been getting, I've found macro maker useful.
For example, in my terminal emulator program (Smartcom II version 3.0B)
I have macros set up so that the arrow keys on my extended keyboard work
in emacs.  Very useful.  Now, the problem is, when I switch to my word
processor (under multifinder), the arrow keys still give the
smartcom/emacs commands.  I have found a workaround -- If I open
MacroMaker and then close it right away, the macros work OK.  The same
problem happens the other way around, too.  Switch from FullWrite to
Smartcom, and the keystrokes aren't translated correctly.  The puzzling
thing is, the list of macros under the macromaker icon change contexts
correctly -- so the list of macros does not agree with macromakers
behavior.

   Am I the only person who noticed this?  System 6.0.3, finder 6.1.
I've got a work around, but its annoying.  Is there a bug-fix version
out?  Anybody got a patch?

Puzzled,

--
Chris Wood     Bellcore     ...!bellcore!nvuxr!ccw
                         or nvuxr!ccw@bellcore.bellcore.com

stel@tank.uchicago.edu (stelios valavanis) (08/24/89)

In article <1239@nvuxr.UUCP> ccw@nvuxr.UUCP (christopher wood) writes:

>  For all the bad talk it's been getting, I've found macro maker useful.
>in emacs.  Very useful.  Now, the problem is, when I switch to my word
>processor (under multifinder), the arrow keys still give the
>smartcom/emacs commands.  I have found a workaround -- If I open

>I've got a work around, but its annoying.  Is there a bug-fix version
>out?  Anybody got a patch?

get QuicKeys by CE software
stel

--
Bitnet:        uclstel@uchimvs1.bitnet | remember, you can't know something
Internet:       stel@tank.uchicago.edu | you know, but you can be

geoff@pmafire.UUCP (Geoff Allen) (08/26/89)

In article <5150@tank.uchicago.edu> stel@tank.uchicago.edu (stelios  valavanis) writes:
>In article <1239@nvuxr.UUCP> ccw@nvuxr.UUCP (christopher wood) writes:
>>
>>  For all the bad talk it's been getting, I've found macro maker useful.
>>in emacs.  Very useful.  Now, the problem is, when I switch to my word
>>processor (under multifinder), the arrow keys still give the
>>smartcom/emacs commands.  I have found a workaround -- If I open
>
>>I've got a work around, but its annoying.  Is there a bug-fix version
>>out?  Anybody got a patch?
>>
>get QuicKeys by CE software

My Father-in-Law used Quick-keys for a while (that is the one they ship
with the Datadesk keyboards, right?) and had to give up on it because it
caused several incompatibility problems.  I'm not sure of the specifics,
but they were enough to get him to go back to MacroMaker.

If you're interested, I can find out what the specific problems were.

--
Geoff Allen - WINCO Computer Process Engineering
...{uunet|bigtex}!pmafire!geoff  |  Disclaimer:  WINCO doesn't believe in Macs,

samalone@athena.mit.edu (Stuart A. Malone) (08/26/89)

In article <5150@tank.uchicago.edu> stel@tank.uchicago.edu (stelios  valavanis) writes:
>In article <1239@nvuxr.UUCP> ccw@nvuxr.UUCP (christopher wood) writes:

>>  For all the bad talk it's been getting, I've found macro maker useful.
>>in emacs.  Very useful.  Now, the problem is, when I switch to my word
>>processor (under multifinder), the arrow keys still give the
>>smartcom/emacs commands...

>get QuicKeys by CE software
>stel

No, no, no!  MacroMaker will work just fine!  You need to understand that
MacroMaker has two kinds of macros: global macros, that work in all programs;
and application macros, that are only active in a specific program.
Christopher just needs to use the pop-up menu in the MacroMaker window to put
the arrow keys into the "Smartcom macros" section instead of the "Global
macros" section.  Then all should be well.

				--Stuart A. Malone
				samalone@athena.mit.edu

ccw@nvuxr.UUCP (christopher wood) (08/29/89)

Stuart A. Malone writes:

No, no, no!  MacroMaker will work just fine!  You need to understand that
MacroMaker has two kinds of macros: global macros, that work in all programs;
and application macros, that are only active in a specific program.
Christopher just needs to use the pop-up menu in the MacroMaker window to put
the arrow keys into the "Smartcom macros" section instead of the "Global
macros" section.  Then all should be well.

				--Stuart A. Malone
				samalone@athena.mit.edu

And I reply...

But the macros ARE in the "Smartcom macros" section.  Im in my word
processor.  I switch (under multi-finder) to Smartcom, where I'm logged
in to a unix host running emacs.  I hit the arrow keys, and funny
characters get typed.  I mouse up to the Macromaker menu, and it knows
that I'm in Smartcom, and has a list of my macros.  It just won't run
them, until I open Macromaker and close it again.  Now it works fine.
Then I switch back to my word processor, and use the arrow keys.  They
still have the emacs bindings, even though they're not listed in the
MacreMaker menu.  It's a bug.  Is there a fix?