[comp.sys.mac] Unix-based Sun/Mac printer sharing + file-transfer software ??

eho@cognito.Princeton.EDU (Eric Ho) (08/25/89)

Does anyone out there know of any Unix-based printer sharing software that
allows me to print Mac files on my Sun LaserWriter ?  -- i.e. I want my Sun
LaserWriter remain attached to the back of my Sun-4 (running SunOS 4.0.1),
that is I still want my Sun to control all the spooling to the LaserWriter.

I've Transcript 2.1 running on my Sun and I would like this package to work
with rather than replacing Transcript (there're many others in the group who
depend heavily on Transcript for their day-to-day work so I can't lose
Transcript).

Obviously I need to get some sort of ethernet card (probably from
Kinetics ?) since I'm just talking about 1 Mac here (no point to spend all
that money to get an AppleTalk<->Ethernet gateway) but I don't want to spend
the money until I'm sure that the needed software exists at a reasonable
price.  I think that the file-transfer software should be pretty
straightforward and the price should be quite reasonable (if public domain
versions don't exist yet for the Mac ether card).  My worry is with printer
sharing software.  The only one that I heard of is K-Spool from Kinetics that
runs as a daemon on the Suns (with some kernel modifications I heard ?) but
the price is kind of ridiculous -- it is more expensive than the ether card
itself.  It cost something like $600~$700 when I can get an ethernet card for
the Mac-2 for under $500 !  The only public-domain software I heard of that
provides both Unix-based printer sharing and file-transfer is the KIP & CAP
packages from Stanford & Columbia respectively but my impression is that they
only work on the Kinetics FastPath and I don't think that my need is justified
to buy an expensive gateway box for just 1 Mac.

I'm interested if anyone knows of any alternative.

--

Eric Ho
Cognitive Science Lab.,		Princeton University

-eric-

quent@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Quent Johnson) (08/29/89)

eho@cognito.Princeton.EDU (Eric Ho) writes:

>Does anyone out there know of any Unix-based printer sharing software that
>allows me to print Mac files on my Sun LaserWriter ?  -- i.e. I want my Sun
>LaserWriter remain attached to the back of my Sun-4 (running SunOS 4.0.1),
>that is I still want my Sun to control all the spooling to the LaserWriter.

>I've Transcript 2.1 running on my Sun and I would like this package to work
>with rather than replacing Transcript (there're many others in the group who
>depend heavily on Transcript for their day-to-day work so I can't lose
>Transcript).

I have exactly the same problem!  I've got a MacII with a kinetics
Etherport card.  The Columbia stuff sounds good except I don't have
a Fastpath (and don't need it with the Etherport card).  NCSA Telnet/Ftp
works for many things. It would be nice to print directly from an
application rather than print postscript to a file and ftp it to the print
spooler machine.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
=-       Quentin Johnson ISU Computer Science Department     =-
-=          Internet: quent@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu         -=
=- UUCP: {uunet!umix!sharkey, hplabs!hp-lsd}!atanasoff!quent =-

mlevy@uvicctr.UVic.ca.UUCP (Michael Levy) (08/30/89)

quent@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Quent Johnson) writes:

>eho@cognito.Princeton.EDU (Eric Ho) writes:

>>Does anyone out there know of any Unix-based printer sharing software that
>>allows me to print Mac files on my Sun LaserWriter ?  -- i.e. I want my Sun
>>LaserWriter remain attached to the back of my Sun-4 (running SunOS 4.0.1),
>>that is I still want my Sun to control all the spooling to the LaserWriter.

We are now doing this, using software called "uShare"
from IPT, phone (818) 347-7791.  uShare makes our Sun 3
(OS 4.1) look like an appleshare server. It also lets us
use printers that are on the Sun.  To any Macs on the Mac end,
the sun printers look like ordinary Mac printers, except that
they are in a different zone.  We are a class B Ethernet site,
and we bridge to Ethernet using a Kinetics fastpath 4.  I am told
that uShare also works with EtherTalk cards.

It took us a while to figure out the configuaration of the uShare files
and the Fastpath, because we are not (by any means) TCP/IP or LocalTalk
experts.  However, tech. support at IPT was first rate.  The software
has been very reliable - no crashes to date.  We have been running for
two weeks.

There was no "built-in" accounting for the print spoolers, but it was
very easy to incorporate our own accounting on the Unix end.  In fact,
we decided to use MacPs instead of uShares software, because we had the
source for that.  We modified MacPs to find the user name and page count
from Postscript files from the Mac.  Let me repeat that Mac users
do not have to Clover-K or anything funny like that.  The only
caveat about accounting is that the name used is the name in the
chooser dialog box.  There is no way we can think of of password
protecting access from the macs.

The appleshare part of uShare works fine.  I haven't done a lot
with it, but I am enjoying the ability to edit Unix files with Mac
editors.  And, unlike Tops, I don't have to worry about converting
line feeds to carriage returns - thats all invisible.

Michael Levy, Department of Computer Science, University of Victoria
email: mlevy@csr.uvic.ca  OR mlevy@uvicctr.BITNET