[comp.sys.mac] Capacity of Quantum Q250?

cca@pur-phy (Charles C. Allen) (08/25/89)

I have a Mac II with an internal "Apple" Quantum Q250 40M hard disk.
Some time ago, there was talk of Apple sticking some higher capacity
drives in and using them as 40M drives.  I could certainly use any
extra space that's "hidden".  How do I go about determining the true
capacity, and utilizing it if it's actually > 40M?

Charles Allen		cca@newton.physics.purdue.edu

rcbamw@eutrc3.urc.tue.nl (m.waucomont) (08/29/89)

In article <2468@pur-phy> cca@pur-phy (Charles C. Allen) writes:
>I have a Mac II with an internal "Apple" Quantum Q250 40M hard disk.
>Some time ago, there was talk of Apple sticking some higher capacity
>drives in and using them as 40M drives.  I could certainly use any
>extra space that's "hidden".  How do I go about determining the true
>capacity, and utilizing it if it's actually > 40M?
>
>Charles Allen		cca@newton.physics.purdue.edu

Last night I played with my recently obtained 40 SC and formatted it myself
for the first time (it came formatted). If you click the 'partition' button
(not sure about the name, it was 4.15 am when I did so) in the apple HD init
utility, you can see they reserve a 2099K partition for unix stuff (root,
usr etc.) they call it 'Free Space'... Since I will never ever be able to
use A/UX on my Plus, I also have the desire to use this 'free space'. It was
a bit late to figure out how to do so. Suggestions ????

Michel 'Mikki' Waucomont     rcbamw@eutr3.urc.tue.nl

chaz@pnet51.cts.com (Chuck Larson) (08/30/89)

Michel 'Mikki' Waucomont rcbamw@eutr3.urc.tue.nl asks (paraphrased)
"How do I use the pre-allocated A/UX space on my Apple HS-40SC?"

Well, I'm posting this off the top of my head, so the specifics may not be
totally here, but anyone should be able to fill in the blanks. Basically, you
need to:

1. reformat the drive.
2. click "partition".
3. delete the existing Macintosh partition, as well as the A/UX one, if there
   is such a beast [the last time I did this was about 4 months ago, so I'm a
   bit fuzzy...:-) )
4. create a new partition of "Macintosh Volume" type, and, by dragging, make
   it as big as possible.

On my Apple HD-20SC, this added about 900K to the capacity of the drive.  I
would expect that an HD-40SC would realize a greater increase, but I would
doubt that it would be a dramatic improvement (still, 900K is 900K...)

Of course, if you are captured or killed, the Secretary will disavow any
knowledge of your actions.  Your mileage may vary.  Some assembly required.

In other words, don't blame me if you reformat your drive and only gain 32K.

<chaz>

UUCP: {amdahl!bungia, uunet!rosevax, chinet, killer}!orbit!pnet51!chaz
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!chaz@nosc.mil
INET: chaz@pnet51.cts.com